Question Help with choosing a gaming laptop

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think amongst these choices, the ASUS TUF gets my recommendation.

Has the largest power supply and weight, which should mean more cooling performance/power draw, and thus better gaming performance. Has dual channel DDR5, and a 1080p 300hz display. Which is pretty nice. If you are into lighter titles, high FPS will do well. If you want maximum visual quality it is still pretty sharp and IPS for good color. 8 core 16 threads should give you more processing power overall.

Gigabyte gets second choice. It is a H class Intel chip, only one generation behind. DDR4, but a small 54 Wh battery and a smaller power adapter. Weighs less than the the ASUS, but the heatsink does appear to be somewhat substantial. Only a 144hz 1080p display. 4P core 8E Core, 12 cores 16 threads. So still decent for games, and when you need a lot of multithreading you have the E cores for the work.

HP Omen is a pass for me. It may have the faster GPU, but it also has a 1440p screen which is harder to run.

Acer is okay, sort of, for the money, but quite a few compromises. A generation older AMD CPU, and a much weaker GPU. It is smaller and lighter though. (Also a caution, the images show a silver computer, but the listing says "gold", so it might be gold colored)

Reactions: jcrog

logainofhades

Titan

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
MSI Katana points of comparison.

ASUS has a 90Wh battery. MSI a 54Wh battery, but a 240W power supply like the ASUS, but also weighs even more, so that would be all heatsink. But the CPU is more powerful.

i7-12700H bumps you up to 6P cores and 8E cores. A good middle ground between the ASUS and Gigabyte laptops.

jcrog

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I am leaning toward the Asus TUF model. The lack of a built-in mic on the MSI Katana is an issue as we will use this for family Zoom calls etc.

The Acer mentioned above is bigger than I'd like.

Anything else I need to know or am missing?

jcrog

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I am leaning toward the Asus TUF model. The lack of a built-in mic on the MSI Katana is an issue as we will use this for family Zoom calls etc.

The Acer mentioned above is bigger than I'd like.

Anything else I need to know or am missing?

Never mind it looks like there is a built-in mic on the MSI. I am going to Microcenter Saturday and will look at them both, but still leaning slightly toward the ASUS TUF.

Reactions: Uncanny1