Help with Gateway Router and Range Extender

Archived from groups: alt.computer.hardware,alt.gateway,alt.internet.wireless,alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

I need help setting up a range extender using a Gateway WGR-200 wireless
router. I purchased a D-Link and couldn't get into their IP address
192.168.0.30 to set it up. D-Link told me I had to get an extender
compatible with the router. I called Gateway and they first told me they
don't sell range extenders but their routers are made by Linksys. I then
took a shot at using the Gateway IP address 192.168.1.1. I got into the IP
address but could figure out how to configure the range extender. I called
Gateway back and they then told me they sell a Linksys range extender but
would give me no support on setting it up. The technician also told me they
were closing down their wireless division in the near future. I called
Linksys and they have no record of ever manufacturing that model. I then
called Gateway again and this time they told me they manufactured the router
but don't sell range extenders or offer support.

So, I want to know if anyone can give me advice on if it's possible to set
up ANY range extender with the WGR-200. I also strongly advise everyone to
AVOID GATEWAY PRODUCTS. This is not the first time they've given me the run
around and their support sux.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

pjbphd
--
Too many spams have forced me to alter my email. If you wish to email me
directly please send messages to pjbphd at cox dot net

Ed

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:40:01 -0700, "pjbphd" <pjbphdspamsux@cox.net>
wrote:

>Problem is I need a laptop. To my knowledge, local builders don't go there.
>Am I incorrect on that?

You are correct and I apologize if I missed that the subject was
concerning laptops in the original posting.

From what I read, the ThinkPad is rated tops in consumer write-ups. I
have a friend that has 5 for his on-the-road staff and he swears by
them. I have a Gateway 450SX4 and it has been through 3 hard drives
and 4 CD/DVD Combo drives and it isn't banged around on-the-road like
my friends 5 ThinkPads. My only saving grace with it is that it is a
business purchase so I get business support which is from an English
speaking person located in North America, or it was the last time I
used it which was for my 3rd hard drive a year a go.

Regards,
Ed