Help with identifying monitor - might be fixed frequency?

Hi. I was hoping perhaps someone here could help me. I recently was given
a nice 20 inch monitor by a guy who was going to a flatscreen, and didn't
have space in his apartment for the older monitor. He was running it on a
mac, with an adapter which had dip switches. From what I've found out, I
think this is so you can run an IBM monitor on a mac (not sure). The cable
ended in RGB and the black sync wire.

After a little digging, I was able to buy a vga cord that had the four
outputs. However, I tried to connect it, and the monitor looks all
scrambled. I checked the inputs, and they're all set.

My computer is a P3-500, running with a Voodoo3-3000 card. There are no
distinguishing marks on the monitor to tell me who makes it, or what model #
it is. There's a serial #, 1894470020, with a small DM subscript
underneath, on the back. Digital Machines? The controls on the bottom of
the monitor are v-stat,h-stat,v-cent, brightness,contrast, power.

I'm hoping to find out what make/model this monitor is, and what the
refresh,resolution, and such should be. There's a utility where I can
change the refresh of my video card. It might only work for windows, but
that's all I work in anyway...I can stand it garbling until windows boots.
If I have to, I'll see about getting a Gemini card, but I'd rather not if I
can avoid it.

I've included links to some quick pictures I took of the monitor, as well as
the adapter for the mac, in case that'd jog anyone memory. Thanks for your
help in advance.

http://members.cox.net/ixijimixipictures/monitor/monitorfront.jpg
http://members.cox.net/ixijimixipictures/monitor/monitor%20bottom.jpg
http://members.cox.net/ixijimixipictures/monitor/monitorback.jpg
http://members.cox.net/ixijimixipictures/monitor/adapter.jpg

"Jim Daily" <ixijimixiNOSPAM@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I was hoping perhaps someone here could help me. I recently was
given
> a nice 20 inch monitor by a guy who was going to a flatscreen, and
didn't
> have space in his apartment for the older monitor. He was running it
on a
> mac, with an adapter which had dip switches. From what I've found
out, I
> think this is so you can run an IBM monitor on a mac (not sure). The
cable
> ended in RGB and the black sync wire.
>
> After a little digging, I was able to buy a vga cord that had the four
> outputs. However, I tried to connect it, and the monitor looks all
> scrambled. I checked the inputs, and they're all set.
>
> My computer is a P3-500, running with a Voodoo3-3000 card. There are
no
> distinguishing marks on the monitor to tell me who makes it, or what
model #
> it is. There's a serial #, 1894470020, with a small DM subscript
> underneath, on the back. Digital Machines? The controls on the
bottom of
> the monitor are v-stat,h-stat,v-cent, brightness,contrast, power.
>
> I'm hoping to find out what make/model this monitor is, and what the
> refresh,resolution, and such should be. There's a utility where I can
> change the refresh of my video card. It might only work for windows,
but
> that's all I work in anyway...I can stand it garbling until windows
boots.
> If I have to, I'll see about getting a Gemini card, but I'd rather not
if I
> can avoid it.
>
> I've included links to some quick pictures I took of the monitor, as
well as
> the adapter for the mac, in case that'd jog anyone memory. Thanks for
your
> help in advance.
>
> http://members.cox.net/ixijimixipictures/monitor/monitorfront.jpg
> http://members.cox.net/ixijimixipictures/monitor/monitor%20bottom.jpg
> http://members.cox.net/ixijimixipictures/monitor/monitorback.jpg
> http://members.cox.net/ixijimixipictures/monitor/adapter.jpg

IIRC MACs use Sync on Green (SoG) which means the Sync Signal is
combined with the Green Signal. If I *do* remember correctly, then this
also means that your lead with a sync on the black wire won't work. You
could try some of the 65,536 combinations of those DIP switches.... you
might be lucky and get the one the re-routes the sync back on to the
black lead.