[SOLVED] Help With Looking for a UPS

Nov 29, 2020
I'm looking for a UPS to use for my system, but I need help with all should be powered by it, as well the capacity. These are the components:
  • PC with a Corsair Hx850i power supply (850w)
  • Acer XB273K Sbmiprzx monitor (unsure of wattage, but Google says 43)
  • Seagate Backup Plus Desktop 4TB (unsure of wattage, but it's probably negligible)
  • Logitech z625 speakers (it claims to be 200w, but also says it has a peak of 400w, so I am confused)
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Solution
Speakers use lots of power, are very intermittent loads, and may produce more electrical noise then other types of devices. So lets say it really does have a peak of 400W, and your system is running 400W continuous, 800W may overload the UPS.

UPS are intended for safety of the electronics from power surges and sags, not to be able to continue on using it as normal. Basically, set up to give you enough time to save your work and shut down, not run your media/games. The ones I listed could only handle 750W for under ten minutes, when the battery is new and fully charged...

If you want something capable of long durations or heavy loads, you might want to look into UPS modding, it will be cheaper. That is finding an older high end UPS...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You shouldn't run the speakers off the UPS first off. Probably want to add your modem as well if you want to maintain connectivity (unless the power also gets interrupted to a repeater somewhere on the line, then it won't matter)

850W power supply doesn't really tell us your power requirements. That is a maximum OUTPUT. Input will be higher, but only if you have components capable of consuming that much power.

If you wanted something like 1000W, which will be pricey, then you should look for something like this:

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/prod...er-LCD-120V-with-SmartConnect-Port/P-SMT1500C

More reasonable, though still extreme:
125W CPU
375W GPU

Call it 750W total if you include your monitor, accessories, etc:

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/prod...B-Charging-Ports-AVR-LCD-interface/P-BR1500MS

You can play with their calculator when you firm up the numbers.

Nov 29, 2020
You shouldn't run the speakers off the UPS first off. Probably want to add your modem as well if you want to maintain connectivity (unless the power also gets interrupted to a repeater somewhere on the line, then it won't matter)

850W power supply doesn't really tell us your power requirements. That is a maximum OUTPUT. Input will be higher, but only if you have components capable of consuming that much power.

If you wanted something like 1000W, which will be pricey, then you should look for something like this:

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/prod...er-LCD-120V-with-SmartConnect-Port/P-SMT1500C

More reasonable, though still extreme:
125W CPU
375W GPU

Call it 750W total if you include your monitor, accessories, etc:

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/prod...B-Charging-Ports-AVR-LCD-interface/P-BR1500MS

You can play with their calculator when you firm up the numbers.

PCPartpicker.com says my estimated wattage is 559W, but I may be swapping out the 2080ti for a 3080ti when those are released, so it may be somewhere around 650w.

Nov 29, 2020

Just curious, but why shouldn't I run my speakers and subwoofer from the UPS?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Speakers use lots of power, are very intermittent loads, and may produce more electrical noise then other types of devices. So lets say it really does have a peak of 400W, and your system is running 400W continuous, 800W may overload the UPS.

UPS are intended for safety of the electronics from power surges and sags, not to be able to continue on using it as normal. Basically, set up to give you enough time to save your work and shut down, not run your media/games. The ones I listed could only handle 750W for under ten minutes, when the battery is new and fully charged...

If you want something capable of long durations or heavy loads, you might want to look into UPS modding, it will be cheaper. That is finding an older high end UPS, like those used in datacenters, with dead/external batteries. Then hooking up car or semi truck batteries to get some usable time out of them.

Just depends on what your expectations are. If your area is simply prone to lots of brown outs, then your UPS will likely be constantly turning itself on to battery mode. (Even things like air conditioners and water heaters can sometimes be enough to trigger them)

Solution
Nov 29, 2020

If you want something capable of long durations or heavy loads, you might want to look into UPS modding, it will be cheaper. That is finding an older high end UPS, like those used in datacenters, with dead/external batteries. Then hooking up car or semi truck batteries to get some usable time out of them.

Just depends on what your expectations are. If your area is simply prone to lots of brown outs, then your UPS will likely be constantly turning itself on to battery mode. (Even things like air conditioners and water heaters can sometimes be enough to trigger them)

I live in an area with frequent storms. Blackouts aren't common, but I do experience many split second outages. Would you say a UPS that can power the PC, monitor, and maybe modem/router and backup external hard drive would be sufficient?

TRENDING THREADS