[SOLVED] Help with network speeds -- wired connection is slower than WiFi ?

Hey gang, been a long time since I've been here, but I need some help.

I have 1G fibre internet connected. My wired PC is only getting 100Mbps whereas my WiFi is getting 250Mpbs. I should be getting closer to 1Gbps on both.

I don't know where to start, I have been out of the loop for too long.

I am using cat 6 cables.

I am using a TP link Deco M4 mesh network.

Using speedtest.net to test speeds.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Solution
Tried another computer, wired, exact same problem. 100Mbps.

Speed is set to auto in network speed settings.

Two different cables tested, not a cable issue, two different computers tested (one of which accepts a max of 2.5 Gbps), and I'm getting 100Mbps in all situations. Just put this computer together last week.

Received a new main router from ISP. Same problem.

And even stranger is I get 300Mbps on the wireless network. Still slow, but faster than wired, odd. The wireless modem is connected to the main router in lan1. The wired connection for computers lan2. Exchanging makes no difference.

ISP tech support rep will be coming in 3 days to see what's up.
If two computers have the problem, even with two cables, it is most...

kanewolf

Titan
Hey gang, been a long time since I've been here, but I need some help.

I have 1G fibre internet connected. My wired PC is only getting 100Mbps whereas my WiFi is getting 250Mpbs. I should be getting closer to 1Gbps on both.

I don't know where to start, I have been out of the loop for too long.

I am using cat 6 cables.

I am using a TP link Deco M4 mesh network.

Using speedtest.net to test speeds.

Thanks for any help.
You need to test wired performance by directly connecting to the primary router. If you have in-wall cabling that could be why you are getting 100Mbit.

100mbps connection speed is almost always a bad cable.

Bad cables can be very strange in that they work on some machine but not others and they can sometimes work and then fail again.

You only need a quality cat5e cable to get 1gbit rates. You can use cat6 if you can get it cheaper but it will not run any faster. Key is to get quality cables. Massive amounts of fake cable being sold. The key one is that flat cable you see that has wires below the required size for a ethernet cable. The wires must be 22-24 awg and be pure copper. Vendors of quality cables always have this information spelled out, if you can't find it look at a different vendor/cable.

kanewolf

Titan
The wired connection is not connected to the deco m4. I should have specified that. It's connected straight to the primary router. I have tried multiple Lan ports in the router as well.
If you have no in-wall cabling, and you are connected directly to the primary router, then it can be only a couple things.
Bad cable is always #1.
Speed not set to auto in the Network adapter settings
Bad port on the PC.

Have you tried another device with the cable to see if anything gets 1000Mbit connection ?

Two different cables tested, not a cable issue, two different computers tested (one of which accepts a max of 2.5 Gbps), and I'm getting 100Mbps in all situations. Just put this computer together last week.

And even stranger is I get 300Mbps on the wireless network. Still slow, but faster than wired, odd. The wireless modem is connected to the main router in lan1. The wired connection for computers lan2. Exchanging makes no difference.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan

If two computers have the problem, even with two cables, it is most likely still the cable. Move the computer near the router and use a brand new, factory made, 100% copper, non-flat, short cable.

Reactions: jimthenagual
Solution