Question Help With Overclocking i7 9700k

Apr 17, 2019
Hey guys I just built my first rig and am new to overclocking. I am looking to OC my i7-9700k but am not sure what all settings I need to do in the BIOS. Would like to clock it around 4.8 or 4.9 ghz.

My motherboard is an MSI z390 gaming plus and have 16gb of Corsair LPX vengeance 3000mhz ddr4 ram with xmp enabled. Cooling won’t be an issue with my setup.

Also what software should I use to test the stability of my OC?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:

katulen

Reputable
Apr 22, 2019
I just did my first cpu overclock, on a i7-9700k as well, and managed to get it stable at 5.0GHz with adaptive voltages.

I don't feel like I have the needed knowledge nor experience to share to much information on the overclocking part itself, compared to all the overclocking guru's you'll find here. So i'll leave that to them :)

However, I do have some info on what stresstests you could use, and what I liked to use to confirm my overclock stable.

Prime95 v26.6 (nonAVX version) - newest version of Prime95 is also an option, since they added more control features within it, to decide if you want AVX on or off etc.
Realbench
OCCT

Also get your hands on these applications to keep info on temperatures, whea errors and other good data.

HWiNFO
CPU-Z

I hope you succeed.

Last edited:
Hey guys I just built my first rig and am new to overclocking. I am looking to OC my i7-9700k but am not sure what all settings I need to do in the BIOS. Would like to clock it around 4.8 or 4.9 ghz.

My motherboard is an MSI z390 gaming plus and have 16gb of Corsair LPX vengeance 3000mhz ddr4 ram with xmp enabled. Cooling won’t be an issue with my setup.

Also what software should I use to test the stability of my OC?

Thanks in advance for the help!

It is highly recommended that you send back that MB if you plan on overclocking or you will absolutely run into issues. That is a LOW END Z390 motherboard with very poor VRMS that will not handle the OC. Don't even think about OCing on that MB period.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZcqw-K1drY&t=829s

On this list below pick something in the green section, any of the AORUS Z390 MB's are good.

6j8i71dbrxv11.png

Apr 17, 2019
It is highly recommended that you send back that MB if you plan on overclocking or you will absolutely run into issues. That is a LOW END Z390 motherboard with very poor VRMS that will not handle the OC. Don't even think about OCing on that MB period.

On this list below pick something in the green section, any of the AORUS Z390 MB's are good.

6j8i71dbrxv11.png

My Graphics card is an Msi 2070 RTX 8gb Gaming Z. Will having a different brand MOBO hurt the performance of my graphics card?

Apr 17, 2019

6j8i71dbrxv11.png

So I ended up swapping my MSI Z390 for an Aorus Z390 Pro wifi. I have also switched to a better airflow case and increased my AIO from an Intel 120mm to a Thermaltake 240 to help cool my system more effectively.

What are my next steps to be able to overclock my CPU to at least 4.8 ghz across all cores?