Mar 25, 2020
My PC randomly freezes and restarts. The chances of it freezing/restarting seems to increase when I'm putting a load on my system (such as gaming). Only a few minutes of heavy gaming and it restarts.

On the flip side, when I'm doing nothing at all (sitting on desktop) or doing minimal activity (browsing the internet) it will only SOMETIMES freeze/restart.

Allow me to be more specific - It FREEZES for a full second and then restarts. If there's any sound/audio playing at that moment, the sound does that horrible stuttering thing. Obviously Windows recognizes these events as Kernal-Power Error 41 (unexpected restarts).

Steps I've Taken So Far
  • I have no visible damage to system components
  • MemTest had no errors after passes
  • I've tested individual memory modules, no change
  • I've monitored temperatures for CPU, Memory, and GPU and nothing was out of the ordinary.
  • Drivers, BIOS, Windows 10 all updated
  • Windows Event Viewer shows only 3 events related to the crashes.
    • Error - EventLog (ID 6008) - 8:20:55 pm
    • Critical Kernel-Power (ID 41) - 8:20:51 pm
  • I find it interesting and odd that the Critical Kernel-Power error happens BEFORE both Error 6008's happen...but for some reason it's sandwiched in between them?
My Research
  • The general answer to unexpected shutdowns include PSU problems, over-heating, and memory modules. I don't appear to have any over-heating issues or memory issues. How do I test PSU issues (before buying a new one)?
  • One YouTube video did suggest that it was actually a capacitor that was over-heating due to being covered up by his CPU cooler. This is not the case for me, but how do I know if it's the motherboard causing these restarts? Or capacitors or whatever? How do you test without paying for a new one?
  • Many people with the same issue say it's due to an older Windows 10 version, but I've updated everything.
  • I've monitored my memory clock speed using MSI Afterburner in-game (Doom Eternal). I have stock memory sticks (not overclocked) that are DDR4-2400, but MSI Afterburner is reporting the Memory Clock at over 3500mhz....do I just not understand memory values or something? Or is this a problem? I have done ZERO overclocking. Or Am I confused as to what Afterburner is actually reporting?
Little Back Story
Months ago I was playing CoD Black Ops 3 and my game kept freezing and crashing. I contacted Activision support and they recommend that I update my BIOS version. I updated/flashed my BIOS according to the ASRock website. Only THEN, suddenly, the crashes/restarts started happening. I was very upset. I updated my BIOS and all of a sudden my system can't handle heavy loads and restarts.

I do have to consider that this is just a coincidence though. I find it incredibly odd that a BIOS update to the newest version would be so broken.

There seems to be no definitive answer for these unexpected Kernal-Power Error 41 crashes. Everyone has a different response, but LOTS of people with AMD Ryzen systems have complained about this issue.

Basically, when I put a heavy load on my system it increases the chances of it freezing and restarting. But this isn't always the case, Sometimes I'm just watching Netflix or browsing Amazon and it freezes/restarts.

Please help!

Dustin

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (Summit Ridge, ZP-B1)
3200 MHz (32.00x100.0) @ 3392 MHz (34.00x99.8)
Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Gaming K4
BIOS: P5.80, 06/19/2019
Chipset: AMD B350 (Promontory)
Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1064 MHz, 15-15-15-36
- 8192 MB PC17000 DDR4 SDRAM - Team Group TEAMGROUP-UD4-2400
Graphics: EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, 4096 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
Drive: PNY CS1311 120GB SSD, 117.2 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: ST1000DM003-1ER162, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Sound: NVIDIA GM204 - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: AMD Zen - HD Audio Controller
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 18363.720 (1909/November 2019 Update)
Power: Corsair GS600 PSU

Last edited:

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
My PC randomly freezes and restarts. The chances of it freezing/restarting seems to increase when I'm putting a load on my system (such as gaming). Only a few minutes of heavy gaming and it restarts.

On the flip side, when I'm doing nothing at all (sitting on desktop) or doing minimal activity (browsing the internet) it will only SOMETIMES freeze/restart.

Allow me to be more specific - It FREEZES for a full second and then restarts. If there's any sound/audio playing at that moment, the sound does that horrible stuttering thing. Obviously Windows recognizes these events as Kernal-Power Error 41 (unexpected restarts).

Steps I've Taken So Far
  • I have no visible damage to system components
  • MemTest had no errors after passes
  • I've tested individual memory modules, no change
  • I've monitored temperatures for CPU, Memory, and GPU and nothing was out of the ordinary.
  • Drivers, BIOS, Windows 10 all updated
  • Windows Event Viewer shows only 3 events related to the crashes.
    • Critical Kernel-Power (ID 41) - 8:20:51 pm
  • I find it interesting and odd that the Critical Kernel-Power error happens BEFORE both Error 6008's happen...but for some reason it's sandwiched in between them?
My Research
  • The general answer to unexpected shutdowns include PSU problems, over-heating, and memory modules. I don't appear to have any over-heating issues or memory issues. How do I test PSU issues (before buying a new one)?
  • One YouTube video did suggest that it was actually a capacitor that was over-heating due to being covered up by his CPU cooler. This is not the case for me, but how do I know if it's the motherboard causing these restarts? Or capacitors or whatever? How do you test without paying for a new one?
  • Many people with the same issue say it's due to an older Windows 10 version, but I've updated everything.
  • I've monitored my memory clock speed using MSI Afterburner in-game (Doom Eternal). I have "stock" memory sticks (not overclocked) at 2133, but in game they're reporting over 3500mhz....do I just not understand memory values or something? Or is this a problem? I have done ZERO overclocking.
Little Back Story
Months ago I was playing CoD Black Ops 3 and my game kept freezing and crashing. I contacted Activision support and they recommend that I update my BIOS version. I updated/flashed my BIOS according to the ASRock website. Only THEN, suddenly, the crashes/restarts started happening. I was very upset. I updated my BIOS and all of a sudden my system can't handle heavy loads and restarts.

I do have to consider that this is just a coincidence though. I find it incredibly odd that a BIOS update to the newest version would be so broken.

There seems to be no definitive answer for these unexpected Kernal-Power Error 41 crashes. Everyone has a different response, but LOTS of people with AMD Ryzen systems have complained about this issue.

Basically, when I put a heavy load on my system it increases the chances of it freezing and restarting. But this isn't always the case, Sometimes I'm just watching Netflix or browsing Amazon and it freezes/restarts.

Please help!

Dustin

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (Summit Ridge, ZP-B1)
3200 MHz (32.00x100.0) @ 3392 MHz (34.00x99.8)
Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Gaming K4
BIOS: P5.80, 06/19/2019
Chipset: AMD B350 (Promontory)
Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1064 MHz, 15-15-15-36
Graphics: EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, 4096 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
Drive: PNY CS1311 120GB SSD, 117.2 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: ST1000DM003-1ER162, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Sound: NVIDIA GM204 - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: AMD Zen - HD Audio Controller
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 18363.720 (1909/November 2019 Update)
Power: Corsair GS600 PSU

My bet would be on power supply. What brand/model is it?

Reactions: droscoe
Mar 25, 2020
My bet would be on power supply. What brand/model is it?

It was listed in my specs. Corsair GS600.

I don't bite a hand that's trying to help me, but I've spent so much time searching for Google results about it, and one of the first suggestions about this issue is a failing PSU, but literally no one has come back and said a new PSU fixed it. Actually the opposite. "I bought a new PSU, still happening" tends to be the answer.

Not that I'm discounting that possibility. I'd like to try other things before spending money on a new PSU.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It was listed in my specs. Corsair GS600.

I don't bite a hand that's trying to help me, but I've spent so much time searching for Google results about it, and one of the first suggestions about this issue is a failing PSU, but literally no one has come back and said a new PSU fixed it. Actually the opposite. "I bought a new PSU, still happening" tends to be the answer.

Not that I'm discounting that possibility. I'd like to try other things before spending money on a new PSU.
How old is your PSU (looking like the culprit, at this point)?

andromedaftw

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
Im having the same problem for 3 years, i tried replacing my power supply FSP Aurum S to FSP Hydro G (better) and problem still exists so i suspect psu is not the problem, let me know please if you have solved it

TRENDING THREADS