[SOLVED] HELP WITH STRANGE BLACK SCREEN DRIVER ISSUES GPU

jdominicjackson

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
I guess the main issue is this, my graphics card seems to fail to turn on multiple times, I just get a black screen but I hear and see that the pc is working. I do not even see the Dell BIOS screen, it just stays black.
It forces me to force a hardware reset, about 3 times, each time the screen failing to turn on, until finally the screen comes on and it looks all distorted and glitched out, then I reset once more and everything works fine, it does this every time I turn it on after a night of being off, I can restart or turn on and off and it all appears to work, its not until it has a long period of being shut down is has issues.

I have tried updating all the drivers on my desktop, the motherboard needed updating and my wifi issues improved but still I am plagued by this graphics issue.

I wonder if its because I have an underpowered PSU on my small case, its only 250watts, but it worked fine before and also works find after the first 4-5 restarts. I believe with what I am drawing that should still be ok and it did work fine for ages.

This was never an issue before, so I am worried its the latest drivers from the Palit website. I threw away the installation cd that came with my palit gtx 1050ti 4gb, as I assumed everything would be fine. I guess I could try to find and download older drivers? But that doesnt feel right I am trying to updating everything..

I have worked in IT and built and used pc's for decades but they still have me stump sometimes! I moved on to mac which is much more reliable and recently thought I would build a pc to play games on and have had nothing but problems!

Should I try to let the nvidia software update my drivers to something else? I thought it would be best to stick with the Palit driver from their website but it appears to be the same thing anyway?

SPECS:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Dell Inspiron 3650 desktop
8g ddr3
Intel Core i3 6100
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4gb

I would really appreciate any help or ideas of what to try as I just have stuff to do and this si kind of driving me nuts, I just want to get on with my work and have spent hours faffing around with drivers...

If I could see where to look to get an idea of what is the issue, I looked in the event viewer and it didn't seems to help me maybe I am not doing it right..

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
I'm not sure if you have already done this, but the first thing you should do is confirm that this is in fact an issue with the gpu. Take out the gpu and just try and boot up the system without it. If all works well then yes we know for sure it is an issue with a gpu. if all boots up fine without a gpu, the here's everthing we can troubleshoot:
There is a chance that the system isn't working because of the psu, the 1050ti is recommended a 300-350w psu, so try that first. If that doesn't work, you could try and launch in safe mode as sometimes that'll let you boot all fine and you can maybe find out what is wrong through that as well as find the right drivers much easier.

Other than that, this is a strange one, there is a high chance that your card is damaged though. Even taking it apart to have a look at the pcb and seeing if there is anything obviously wrong with it could get you a better idea on what is going on. Trying to re-flow the cards solder if you really are giving up could work.

Reactions: jdominicjackson

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Yeah OP, barring from some serious soldering work, replacing the GPU is what I'd do, too. You can't even display the BIOS which eliminates graphics driver issue. As you might know, graphics driver is loaded only at Windows boot sometime between logging in and the actual desktop.

Have you tried using the integrated graphics? Lucky you have i3-6100, people with Ryzen CPUs might be SOL other than using a spare/lent GPU to display anything. If that works 100% fine, we know the 1050 Ti is dodgy.

Also, 250W is awfully close to power up a full-fledged desktop. Short of using a Kill-A-Watt we can't really know the PSU is reliably supplying at least 200W (75W for GPU, 50-60W to CPU, and spare for motherboard and other components). Still, I think Pascal would throw a warning note on boot if power is insufficient --I know my 1080 does that when I forgot to plug in the PCI power cable.

Other than that, perhaps CMOS ran dry and something went awry. Either replace the battery and/or reset BIOS defaults. I know dodgy PSU combined with boneheaded OEM motherboards to do that (had a J&W motherboard salvaged from a prebuilt, forgot which brand) --CMOS ran dry even when power is continuous from the wall socket, replaced motherboard and all is fine.

TL;DR: Replace CMOS, reset BIOS defaults, try IGP. Whatever order is convenient for you.

Reactions: jdominicjackson

jdominicjackson

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
wow thanks so much for the replies thats all very helpful and some obviousy things I should have done immidiately.

You can't even display the BIOS which eliminates graphics driver issue. As you might know, graphics driver is loaded only at Windows boot sometime between logging in and the actual desktop.
Yeah I was thinking this, why is it even stopping me from seeing the bios screen?

It is strange as this all was working before. I might still try re installing windows again. :(

I will try the IGP and maybe a new battery...

Annoying thing is that I already had a radeon GPU which seemed to be faulty so maybe it is the power supply from the motherboard not being enough... I agree you would think there would be some kinda obvious warning telling me this..

I guess I was pushing it. I can buy a micro atx psu and fit it into this small case aparantly,.

Isn't there any utility that will show me the power consumption of my GPU? But to add, I did run a couple benchmarks and it all ran fine, and been gaming. And never a problem with the gpu? It is just at start up when it seems to not initiate the graphics at all... Hmmm... 1st thing I will just remove it and see if I get this issue tomorrow morning as it takes a long period of time after the final shutdown for this issue to occur onn next start up...

I am so fed up of these constant technical problems I feel like I have a bad aura and attract them hahahah... Sometimes I hate windows so much...

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Isn't there any utility that will show me the power consumption of my GPU?
HWiNFO is a great way to measure this plus a million other things on your pc:
HWiNFO.PNG

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
wow thanks so much for the replies thats all very helpful and some obviousy things I should have done immidiately.

Yeah I was thinking this, why is it even stopping me from seeing the bios screen?

It is strange as this all was working before. I might still try re installing windows again. :(

I will try the IGP and maybe a new battery...

Annoying thing is that I already had a radeon GPU which seemed to be faulty so maybe it is the power supply from the motherboard not being enough... I agree you would think there would be some kinda obvious warning telling me this..

I guess I was pushing it. I can buy a micro atx psu and fit it into this small case aparantly,.

Isn't there any utility that will show me the power consumption of my GPU? But to add, I did run a couple benchmarks and it all ran fine, and been gaming. And never a problem with the gpu? It is just at start up when it seems to not initiate the graphics at all... Hmmm... 1st thing I will just remove it and see if I get this issue tomorrow morning as it takes a long period of time after the final shutdown for this issue to occur onn next start up...

I am so fed up of these constant technical problems I feel like I have a bad aura and attract them hahahah... Sometimes I hate windows so much...

As @stanley88845 said above, HWInfo is useful for 99% of monitoring stuff. Just keep in mind that some GPUs don't report their power draw (my 5670 doesn't, but my 1080 does)...from the top of my head, at least.

I personally use GPU-Z to monitor power draw, but that's just because I like the garish ROG skin with graphs (HwInfo can be set to display this too) and the minimalist style of info compared to HwInfo which is pretty comprehensive and needing some personal tweaking to be read in a glance. Personal preference.

You mentioned you gamed on it....with the "faulty" Radeon or the 1050 Ti? Is this after you posted the thread or after? If it's after then either the PSU or we're just facing some stupid issue. My 5670 behaves weird from time to time, but either a reboot or a reseating fixes it all the time.

Also, crap PSUs definitely can kill components. Either now or sometime later. I'd wager on some used PSU that's decent rather than OEM prebuilt ones (except FSP group or Great Wall).

jdominicjackson

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
I'm not sure if you have already done this, but the first thing you should do is confirm that this is in fact an issue with the gpu. Take out the gpu and just try and boot up the system without it. If all works well then yes we know for sure it is an issue with a gpu. if all boots up fine without a gpu, the here's everthing we can troubleshoot:
There is a chance that the system isn't working because of the psu, the 1050ti is recommended a 300-350w psu, so try that first. If that doesn't work, you could try and launch in safe mode as sometimes that'll let you boot all fine and you can maybe find out what is wrong through that as well as find the right drivers much easier.

Other than that, this is a strange one, there is a high chance that your card is damaged though. Even taking it apart to have a look at the pcb and seeing if there is anything obviously wrong with it could get you a better idea on what is going on. Trying to re-flow the cards solder if you really are giving up could work.
because of your advice I bought a new PSU but actually after a fresh installation of windows the issue has gone away so obviously the software and drivers do effect the gpu before windows opens so you made me waste money thanks...