Question Help with upgrading this PC...?

Jul 9, 2023
Hi there, new to this site and forums in general. I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong forum or something!

I would like some help and some opinions if possible in terms of this PC I would like to upgrade, this is not my PC, but my partners' I'm not too sure about PCs in general as I had help with mine.
I posted this on a forum and was directed to this one so I'll just copy paste:

I was wondering if I could get some help with upgrading a PC, in terms of performance, graphics, processing speed, fps, and that sort of stuff. It is primarily a gaming PC and will be used mainly for that purpose. Just wondering what can be done to make this better, and an estimated cost to do so. It has really slowed down in the past few months, but is only 2 months old, it has over 30% disk space still so that is not an issue too.

This is a screenshot of the system settings (not my PC):

Any help would be appreciated, and would be happy to answer any questions!

Kind regards,

J

Jul 9, 2023
Ah I see, apologies!

PSU - 350 W
Motherboard - Micro-Star H410M-A PRO (MS-7C89)
GPU - 6GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
CPU - Intel (R) Core(TM) i5 - 10400 CPU @ 2.90Hz
RAM - 16 GB

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
As a non-gamer I think your partner really needs a much more powerful (expensive) machine for gaming, but I appreciate that money might be an important consideration.

You could definitely do with a faster graphics card, e.g. RTX 3060 or 4060 and a much better power supply. The CPU is a bit light on processing power and is now three generations behind current Intel technology.

All things considered, a new machine is called for, not a piecemeal upgrade.

Perhaps if you list the games your partner plays, more knowledgeable people on this forum can offer suggestions.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jul 9, 2023
As a non-gamer I think your partner really needs a much more powerful (expensive) machine for gaming, but I appreciate that money might be an important consideration.

You could definitely do with a faster graphics card, e.g. RTX 3060 or 4060 and a much better power supply. The CPU is a bit light on processing power and is now three generations behind current Intel technology.

All things considered, a new machine is called for, not a piecemeal upgrade.

Perhaps if you list the games your partner plays, more knowledgeable people on this forum can offer suggestions.
I see, Would it be better / cheaper to get a new PC?

The budget she has for now would be 2k euros. but I could convince her to increase it if it was extremely needed. Ideally, I would like to just change a few of the parts that need to be done for the increase in performance. We play games like Valorant, Dead by Daylight, Phasmpphobia, and other FPS games.

However, the PC is just slow upon startup and when she is using it it just lags on the application, even closing them is delayed.

Jul 9, 2023
Is this a proprietary prebuild, such as Dell or HP (etc.) or was it built of off shelf standard components?
The power supply makes me think proprietary. If this machine has something you can see, what is the model number of it?
Hi there, not too sure of the Brand as it was German.

But I do know it was prebuilt and just bought all together with no assembly on her side.

Model number: Micro-Star International MS-7C89

She sent me this link saying this was the PC she bought, I believe you can find the full specs there:

https://www.galaxus.de/en/s1/produc...tmh4k3z0MSzurQ-ONKMaAjewEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
From what I can see in the gallery for the PC, it appears to be built from standard form parts, which is good.

The specs of this PC should be capable of running the titles you mentioned without much issue with some allowances to eye candy.
In regard to the slowdown being experienced, it could be any number of things from having multiple applications and processes running at the same time, malware, virus. Hard to say.

You mention in first post that you haven't experience in doing the build aspect, but are you or partner knowledgeable about the OS enviro in general?

Just for kicks, go here:

Run the benchmark and paste the result link back here. Make sure if you have a frame counter app such as Afterburner/Riva to turn that off before running the test.

Don't take the test and it's results too seriously.

Jul 9, 2023
From what I can see in the gallery for the PC, it appears to be built from standard form parts, which is good.

The specs of this PC should be capable of running the titles you mentioned without much issue with some allowances to eye candy.
In regard to the slowdown being experienced, it could be any number of things from having multiple applications and processes running at the same time, malware, virus. Hard to say.

You mention in first post that you haven't experience in doing the build aspect, but are you or partner knowledgeable about the OS enviro in general?

Just for kicks, go here:

Run the benchmark and paste the result link back here. Make sure if you have a frame counter app such as Afterburner/Riva to turn that off before running the test.

Don't take the test and it's results too seriously.
Hi there, yes the games run fine, no issues there really, just the slow performance to start the game and load the game I would say, but when it's running, no issues after that.

Results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 60%, Desk 84%, Work 54%
CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 - 85%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660S (Super) - 70.4%
HDD: Toshiba P300 1TB - 78.6%
RAM: Unknown TEAMGROUP-UD4-3200 2x8GB - 69.9%
MBD: MSI H410M-A PRO (MS-7C89)

Jul 9, 2023
THIS IS NOT A PART OF THIS THREAD'S ISSUE!

Also, I did the benchmark for mine too because I was curious

But my results seemed to be confusing for me too
My results:
UserBenchmarks:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - 71.4%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 - 79.1%
SSD: Intel SSDPEKNU512GZ 512GB - 154.4%
RAM: Corsair CM4X8GD3200C16K4 2x8GB - 78.8%
MBD: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING

Any reason why this happened?

It said my Benchmark was missing SSD and gave my Gaming, Desktop, and Workstation a 0% because of it.

THIS IS NOT A PART OF THIS THREAD'S ISSUE!

Hi there, yes the games run fine, no issues there really, just the slow performance to start the game and load the game I would say, but when it's running, no issues after that.

Results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 60%, Desk 84%, Work 54%
CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 - 85%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660S (Super) - 70.4%
HDD: Toshiba P300 1TB - 78.6%
RAM: Unknown TEAMGROUP-UD4-3200 2x8GB - 69.9%
MBD: MSI H410M-A PRO (MS-7C89)
Post a LINK to the results page don't copy and paste the results.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have 22% background apps running, which is high. Go into "startup" and turn off programs you don't need to run at start. Go to "background apps" and turn off things you don't need running at all times. You can also typically keep your browser from running in the background even while closed.

Set an XMP profile for the RAM in BIOS. (rated for 3200, running at 2667)

Purchase an SSD for the OS drive and convert the big HDD into storage. M.2 SSD are ridiculously inexpensive right now.

With the above items taken care of, the system should see a nice uplift in performance.

Jul 9, 2023
You should be able to get a very good idea by looking at Device Manager.

There's a "disk drives" section there. It will list the brand and model number of any drives in the PC.

Look.

What do you see on that list?

Anything other than a Toshiba P300? That is NOT an SSD.
These were under disk drives, there was no Toshiba P300 listed
- CT240BX500SSD1
- TOSHIBA HDWD110

Jul 9, 2023
You might want to update the bios and also the chipset driver if it's old.

The link shows everything is running off the hdd which won't help perf any.

Take the side cover off the case and see if there is a ssd installed.

Run ubm like this.....reboot.... wait a few mins... run ubm with the browser closed.
Sorry, really didn't understand that,

Should I just look up a video or website to follow? How to update the bios or change a chipset... maybe?

Sorry, really didn't understand that,

Should I just look up a video or website to follow? How to update the bios or change a chipset... maybe?

On that link you will find the bios updates and how to install them.

Also if you click on the driver tab you can look at the chipset driver they offer and then compare it to what you have to see if it also needs an update.

You might want to hold off on this until you get the ssd mystery solved.

Jul 9, 2023
That implies Windows is installed on your 1 TB spinning drive.

NOT on your SSD shown in Device Manager

CT240BX500SSD1

Not good.

What do you think is on the SSD, if anything?

Do you show any partitions other than C anywhere?
I would assume all her files and applications that are on the computer...?

And the only drive shows " C: "