Question Help With Video/Photo Editing + Gaming Computer Build ~£1500

Jul 26, 2019
Hi people,

I've been looking into building my first computer and have developed the mindset that if I spend more money I'll end up saving it in the long run. Having said that, this will be my first build and I have to be honest in saying that I'm quite worried about the whole thing in terms of building it, although I'd like to get the most for my money and understand that this is the best way to do that.

In any case, I'm looking to spend around £1500 and would like the final product to tear through video edits in Adobe Pr Pro and to be able to run the latest AAA games. As I'm upgrading from a laptop, I will also need to think about getting a suitable monitor and would aim to spend about £200.

Something that has always stopped me from investing in a decent build, aside from building it myself, is the idea that sooner rather than later the system will struggle to run the latest titles and I'd wonder if I'd wasted my money. This is why I'd like the build to facilitate upgrades in the future. I'm also aware that new tech is being developed and released constantly, so if you feel that if I held out for a bit longer I'd get a better deal or similarly, if you think I'd be best off spending a little extra I'd be gaining the best value for money, then by all means I'd be open to suggestions!

Lastly, I do really like the Coolermaster h500 rgb case so if that could be incorporated in the build I'd be happy, but realistically speaking, rgb isn't really a priority.

Summary
  • Budget: Around £1500
  • Photo/Video Editing + Gaming
  • Need a monitor ideally around £200
  • Upgradability
  • Willing to increase budget slightly if truly optimal

First of all, Premiere Pro has specific use cases for Intel vs AMD latest gen. CPUs which will heavily impact your decision. So you need to read this...
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...etheRyzen3rdgenerationCPUsgoodforPremierePro?

Now assuming that your budget including the monitor is around 1700 quids, these are the kind of options to look at...

Intel...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | £454.38 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler | £51.59 @ More Computers
Motherboard | MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | £104.98 @ CCL Computers
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | £154.98 @ Aria PC
Storage | ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | £75.57 @ CCL Computers
Video Card | MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card | £497.40 @ Alza
Case | Thermaltake View 22 ATX Mid Tower Case | £45.46 @ Scan.co.uk
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | £93.45 @ Box Limited
Monitor | Samsung LC27JG50QQNZA 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor | £286.78 @ Amazon UK
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £1764.59
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-26 21:33 BST+0100 |

AMD...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor | £499.99 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard | MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard | £179.99 @ Box Limited
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | £154.98 @ Aria PC
Storage | ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | £75.57 @ CCL Computers
Video Card | Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card | £379.97 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | £93.45 @ Box Limited
Monitor | Samsung LC27JG50QQNZA 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor | £286.78 @ Amazon UK
| Total | £1716.19
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-26 21:36 BST+0100 |

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
For your budget, I went with the assumption that video editing was priority and that gaming was secondary.

With that in mind I opted for this build.

Can upgrade to a Ryzen 7 3700X for about 100 pounds more.

The case you were looking at I would not recommend due to it's airflow not being as good as other options and temps are more important than bling when on a tighter budget so I've given you a nice case that I personally have and use and recommend.

I gave you a small SSD for boot, a larger SSD for video editing, and an HDD for games and mass storage backups of your video files.

The case I chose only comes with two fans so I opted to fill the remaining fan space with these good performing RGB fans (I also have this 3in1 kit)

And lastly I gave you a monitor that fits within the budget that while it doesn't have high refresh rates and is only 1080p, it has a good IPS panel for your video color corrections and is freesync so you can play games with lower input latency and no screen tearing.

But of course you can opt to spend more to upgrade to something with higher resolution, higher refresh rates, or both.
But with the RX 580, you'll be getting on average 75fps at 1080p high/max settings in most modern games anyways, especially if you overclock.

Otherwise, you'll spend quite a bit more as posted above to go with a higher core count CPU and such.

And as for the RAM, it doesn't really get any cheaper than that for 3600MHz in the UK right now at 32GB.
But if you went 16GB then you're options would open up and cost less, but for video editing, it depends on how large scale your video editing is and whether or not you'll need the 32GB or only 16GB.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor (£217.98 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard (£205.03 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (£349.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£26.35 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£43.98 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£82.77 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card (£169.98 @ Box Limited)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£95.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case Fan: Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 120 Air Pressure RGB 3 in 1 w/RGB LED Controller 35 CFM 120 mm Fans (£54.73 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: LG 24MK600M-B 24.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor (£120.18 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1456.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-26 21:37 BST+0100

Jul 26, 2019
Hi both,

Thank you very much for your responses. You'll have to excuse me as I have a great deal to learn on this subject and still have a couple of questions regarding your builds.

@Hellfire13 Really appreciated the article you attached on the best uses for AMD vs. Intel CPUs and have decided that given that information I would likely be best off with an Intel CPU. Would it be fair for me to say though, that storage is quite limited in the build you suggested? Additionally, there didn't seem to be any extra cooling included aside from the CPU cooler. Is this because extra cooling isn't required as it comes fitted in the case?

@QwerkyPengwen Thanks for explaining to me why the case I suggested wasn't optimal and for suggesting areas where I could spend a bit more for greater return. I really should have been clearer with my budget, the monitor would be on top of the £1500 build budget, but nevertheless, you've given me an alternative to the build above.

Again, thank you for your responses. I think at the moment I'm more tempted by Hellfire13's build but am still unsure in terms of storage and cooling.

Hi both,

Thank you very much for your responses. You'll have to excuse me as I have a great deal to learn on this subject and still have a couple of questions regarding your builds.

@Hellfire13 Really appreciated the article you attached on the best uses for AMD vs. Intel CPUs and have decided that given that information I would likely be best off with an Intel CPU. Would it be fair for me to say though, that storage is quite limited in the build you suggested? Additionally, there didn't seem to be any extra cooling included aside from the CPU cooler. Is this because extra cooling isn't required as it comes fitted in the case?

@QwerkyPengwen Thanks for explaining to me why the case I suggested wasn't optimal and for suggesting areas where I could spend a bit more for greater return. I really should have been clearer with my budget, the monitor would be on top of the £1500 build budget, but nevertheless, you've given me an alternative to the build above.

Again, thank you for your responses. I think at the moment I'm more tempted by Hellfire13's build but am still unsure in terms of storage and cooling.
Since Intel is your use case, here are the additions...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU Cooler | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler | £51.59 @ More Computers
Storage | Toshiba P300 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | £64.02 @ CCL Computers
Video Card | MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card | £497.40 @ Alza
Case Fan | Fractal Design HF14-BK 118.2 CFM 140 mm Fan | £17.89 @ CCL Computers
Case Fan | Fractal Design HF14-BK 118.2 CFM 140 mm Fan | £17.89 @ CCL Computers
| Total | £1864.39
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-26 23:12 BST+0100 |

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
The above build is pretty good as is.

But I'll break down a few things for you and make a few changes for some alternative options for you to consider.

The PC case chosen above is pretty much the basics, not the best looking, but not the best in terms of airflow either, just kind of middle ground budget that get's the job done on a basic level.

Since I am an advocate of more cooling I will give you the budget alternative of the Fractal Design Focus G case.

Also, as another alternative I will yet again give you the RX 580 for gaming, while it won't perform on the same level as the above 2070, it'll do just fine at medium/high settings at 1440p with an average of 60fps depending on title, again, assuming that you care more about video editing horsepower than gaming horsepower.

Lastly, the monitor.
While VA is kind of the blend of both worlds between a TN panel and an IPS panel, it doesn't excel at what IPS does, it has far better colors and viewing angles compared to TN, and offers the same high refresh rate and low response times of TN at just a slightly higher price point.
If you are video editing but not color correcting anything, then a VA panel with high refresh rates and high resolution and adaptive sync will get you an awesome experience in gaming for a decent price, but for color correcting work, you'll want IPS.

Honestly we could better provide you with hardware you need if you can tell us what you are more or less looking to get in regards to gaming performance as that will decide what kind of GPU to recommend you and what kind of monitor to recommend as well.

Because if 60fps medium to high preset at 1080p or 1440p is all you're looking for but also are looking to do color correcting work, then what we will end up recommending is a better budget minded GPU like the RX 580 and a 1080p IPS 60-75hz display with freesync that will cost less.

And as you increase your expectations for gaming, the higher the price for a GPU to meet those requirements and for a monitor to deliver that experience to your eyes. And if still wanting to do color correction, then you end up going IPS, and if you go IPS with high resolution AND high refresh rates, then that ends up costing you quite a bit.

So yeah, if you could better give us an idea of what you are looking for in regards to performance and stuff then that would help us to narrow down part recommendations to meet your needs at or around the budget you are giving us.

The above build is pretty good as is.

But I'll break down a few things for you and make a few changes for some alternative options for you to consider.

The PC case chosen above is pretty much the basics, not the best looking, but not the best in terms of airflow either, just kind of middle ground budget that get's the job done on a basic level.

Since I am an advocate of more cooling I will give you the budget alternative of the Fractal Design Focus G case.

Also, as another alternative I will yet again give you the RX 580 for gaming, while it won't perform on the same level as the above 2070, it'll do just fine at medium/high settings at 1440p with an average of 60fps depending on title, again, assuming that you care more about video editing horsepower than gaming horsepower.

Lastly, the monitor.
While VA is kind of the blend of both worlds between a TN panel and an IPS panel, it doesn't excel at what IPS does, it has far better colors and viewing angles compared to TN, and offers the same high refresh rate and low response times of TN at just a slightly higher price point.
If you are video editing but not color correcting anything, then a VA panel with high refresh rates and high resolution and adaptive sync will get you an awesome experience in gaming for a decent price, but for color correcting work, you'll want IPS.

Honestly we could better provide you with hardware you need if you can tell us what you are more or less looking to get in regards to gaming performance as that will decide what kind of GPU to recommend you and what kind of monitor to recommend as well.

Because if 60fps medium to high preset at 1080p or 1440p is all you're looking for but also are looking to do color correcting work, then what we will end up recommending is a better budget minded GPU like the RX 580 and a 1080p IPS 60-75hz display with freesync that will cost less.

And as you increase your expectations for gaming, the higher the price for a GPU to meet those requirements and for a monitor to deliver that experience to your eyes. And if still wanting to do color correction, then you end up going IPS, and if you go IPS with high resolution AND high refresh rates, then that ends up costing you quite a bit.

So yeah, if you could better give us an idea of what you are looking for in regards to performance and stuff then that would help us to narrow down part recommendations to meet your needs at or around the budget you are giving us.
While I appreciate this perspective, there are a few points to remember. Generally, the Premiere Pro and for that matter most video editing softwares like Resolve and/or Corel are more optimized for NVidia cards, the new AMD Navi GPUs may be a game changer and hence the 5700xt in my AMD build can give the same performance as the Nvidia 2070 Super at a much cheaper price. But the issue with that is the open air cards which are to be released by the board partners are still around a month away. And the currently available blower cards are simply not recommended due to thermal issues in larger builds.
Also the rx580 is not typically a 1440p or 144hz card which means you have to lower the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor. An IPS monitor while offering more color depth, is a hindrance to high fps gaming usually due to their response time. Hence VA panels are usually considered more of a middle ground for both gaming and editing. The case while not the best is something I have personally build in for someone and its decent in terms of airflow and cable management for its price.
If you want a more budget friendly option, then something like this should be good...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | Intel Core i9-9900 3.1 GHz 8-Core Processor | £429.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage | Toshiba P300 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | £64.02 @ CCL Computers
Video Card | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB XC GAMING Video Card | £311.98 @ Amazon UK
Case | Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case | £50.47 @ Scan.co.uk
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | £74.99 @ AWD-IT
Case Fan | Scythe Slipstream 110.31 CFM 120 mm Fan | £8.99 @ Amazon UK
Monitor | AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor | £177.59 @ CCL Computers
| Total | £1462.55
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-27 01:36 BST+0100 |

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
While I appreciate this perspective, there are a few points to remember. Generally, the Premiere Pro and for that matter most video editing softwares like Resolve and/or Corel are more optimized for NVidia cards, the new AMD Navi GPUs may be a game changer and hence the 5700xt in my AMD build can give the same performance as the Nvidia 2070 Super at a much cheaper price. But the issue with that is the open air cards which are to be released by the board partners are still around a month away. And the currently available blower cards are simply not recommended due to thermal issues in larger builds.
Also the rx580 is not typically a 1440p or 144hz card which means you have to lower the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor. An IPS monitor while offering more color depth, is a hindrance to high fps gaming usually due to their response time. Hence VA panels are usually considered more of a middle ground for both gaming and editing. The case while not the best is something I have personally build in for someone and its decent in terms of airflow and cable management for its price.
If you want a more budget friendly option, then something like this should be good...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
CPU | Intel Core i9-9900 3.1 GHz 8-Core Processor | £429.99 @ Amazon UK
Video Card | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB XC GAMING Video Card | £311.98 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | £74.99 @ AWD-IT
Monitor | AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor | £177.59 @ CCL Computers
| Total | £1462.55
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-27 01:36 BST+0100 |
Now this above build I can completely agree on for a build that does both video editing via CPU and GPU assist, as well as gaming.

I think that with this though, you could either opt for an overclockable CPU, or the better GPU, since the OP has gone on record as saying the 1500 budget is for the PC alone and they are looking to pay up to $200 for a monitor.
Could also just up the monitor to 1440p IPS high refresh rate or I guess the VA with G-Sync since you have about 200 more to work with according to what the OP said.

But also, as I said, it would depend on what the OP plans to do for video editing.
If the OP is looking to do color correction work on videos, then an IPS panel is kind of a good idea all around compared to a VA panel, so I guess we wait and see what the OP says.

But with that extra 200 to work with, I would think you could easily get a higher refresh rate and higher resolution IPS monitor. Maybe not adaptive sync, but still.

But if the OP doesn't care for color correction, or only cares to do minor color correction, then yeah, a high refresh rate 1440p VA panel with G-Sync could be had for that additional 200 in the budget and then all's well that ends well I guess.

Jul 26, 2019
Yeah, that would be some kind of middleground between the two, but IPS will also sacrifice a bit of gaming perspective. It is a viable option if he is more inclined towards editing than gaming though. Lets see what the OP says about it.

Hi guys,

Bit of a rushed response here as I'm about to go into town.

I am indeed more inclined towards video editing but would like to find a good balance between the two and did like the idea of the Samsung LC27JG50QQNZA 27.0 144 Hz monitor recommended by Hellfire13 in their original response, as this seems to be favoured by many for its value for money.

Will likely make a final decision later on.

Thanks

Hi guys,

Bit of a rushed response here as I'm about to go into town.

I am indeed more inclined towards video editing but would like to find a good balance between the two and did like the idea of the Samsung LC27JG50QQNZA 27.0 144 Hz monitor recommended by Hellfire13 in their original response, as this seems to be favoured by many for its value for money.

Will likely make a final decision later on.

Thanks
Well, in that case, here is a more refined version of the original build...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
| Total | £1833.14
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-27 13:23 BST+0100 |

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I've made some changes to the above build that I believe to better expending of money.
The GPU doesn't have to be the one above, it can honestly be a cheaper model so I've selected one that saves a bit of money.

And as for RAM, it doesn't matter too much when it comes to Intel, but nonetheless I kept the same speeds and size of RAM while maintaining quality of memory modules, but for a lower price and it also has RGB.

And with this money saved, I changed things around for storage, going with a 250gb SSD for boot drive, a 1TB SSD for the real time video editing, and keeping the 3TB for mass storage of video files and games.

The case comes with two fans, but has support for 5 fans, so with the extra money saved I opted for the 3in1 pack of MF120R A-RGB fans with controller to fill the three remaining fan spots (I personally have this kit and recommend them for airflow performance as well as sound. Plus hey.... moar RGB right?)

I decided not to bother trying to fiddle with changing up the cooler since the cooler selected is good enough.

And now it costs less at the same time.

If Hellfire has any opinions about the build I would like to hear them.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£454.38 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£51.59 @ More Computers)
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£104.98 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£129.59 @ Alza)
Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£94.38 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Toshiba P300 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£63.76 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card (£427.40 @ Alza)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case (£50.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£74.99 @ AWD-IT)
Case Fan: Cooler Master MF120R ARGB 3in1 59 CFM 120 mm Fans (£55.88 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Samsung LC27JG50QQNZA 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor (£286.78 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1820.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-27 21:02 BST+0100

I've made some changes to the above build that I believe to better expending of money.
The GPU doesn't have to be the one above, it can honestly be a cheaper model so I've selected one that saves a bit of money.

And as for RAM, it doesn't matter too much when it comes to Intel, but nonetheless I kept the same speeds and size of RAM while maintaining quality of memory modules, but for a lower price and it also has RGB.

And with this money saved, I changed things around for storage, going with a 250gb SSD for boot drive, a 1TB SSD for the real time video editing, and keeping the 3TB for mass storage of video files and games.

The case comes with two fans, but has support for 5 fans, so with the extra money saved I opted for the 3in1 pack of MF120R A-RGB fans with controller to fill the three remaining fan spots (I personally have this kit and recommend them for airflow performance as well as sound. Plus hey.... moar RGB right?)

I decided not to bother trying to fiddle with changing up the cooler since the cooler selected is good enough.

And now it costs less at the same time.

If Hellfire has any opinions about the build I would like to hear them.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£454.38 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£51.59 @ More Computers)
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£104.98 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£129.59 @ Alza)
Storage: Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£94.38 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Toshiba P300 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£63.76 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card (£427.40 @ Alza)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case (£50.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£74.99 @ AWD-IT)
Case Fan: Cooler Master MF120R ARGB 3in1 59 CFM 120 mm Fans (£55.88 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Samsung LC27JG50QQNZA 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor (£286.78 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1820.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-27 21:02 BST+0100
The Super card is pretty close to the 2080 performance, and should give much smoother gameplay on 1440p/144hz ultra, while giving more longevity to the build. Otherwise its pretty much the same.

Jul 26, 2019
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your continued help on this. I've been trying to log in to reply, but I keep getting an error message when trying to click through to the forums and then was busy for the rest of the time.

Is it possible for me to award both of you the best answer?