Mar 23, 2021
Ignore the dumb title and please help me, I've been messing around with my hard drives since I've decided to fully upgrade my PC. I now own a 3060 and ryzen 5 3600 (an upgrade from a 1050 and a dead CPU) but now I've run into another issue, my new hard drive is awful, it runs slower than my grandma on a really hot day.

My old hard drive is a seagate desktop SSHD 1TB and it's served me well after all these years, it has a 89.1 MB/s read/write rate (used userbenchmark.com) but my new drive (a Seagate Barracuda 2TB) runs at 9.95 MB/s. Is my drive broken or did I maybe use the wrong sata cable? I need help!

Solution
Ignore the dumb title and please help me, I've been messing around with my hard drives since I've decided to fully upgrade my PC. I now own a 3060 and ryzen 5 3600 (an upgrade from a 1050 and a dead CPU) but now I've run into another issue, my new hard drive is awful, it runs slower than my grandma on a really hot day.

My old hard drive is a seagate desktop SSHD 1TB and it's served me well after all these years, it has a 89.1 MB/s read/write rate (used userbenchmark.com) but my new drive (a Seagate Barracuda 2TB) runs at 9.95 MB/s. Is my drive broken or did I maybe use the wrong sata cable? I need help!

The Barracuda should be reading a lot faster than 9.95...for write speeds that's about average for a decent HHD these days...
This really depends on what you are checking, I'm not familiar with userbenchmark.com's test, but I believe these are not sequential speeds.
What you see advertised on the box or the webpage is usually sequential, writing 1 huge file on the drive speeds, which can get up to 200+ mbp/s.

I believe what the benchmark you used tested is, random performance, at some Qdepth, no idea which.
If these are random performances, these numbers are more than correct.
Your new drive is a full HDD, with only maybe a 256mb cache onboard, so any test you do will actually make the drive work itself and the platter.
Your old drive is an SSHD, basically an SSD and an HDD combined to improve performance. SSD's have MUCH better random performance, and since it's an SSHD, it will write into the SSD first, basically making this an HDD vs SSD random speeds comparison, making 90mbp/s on ssd vs 10mbp/s on HHD pretty reasonable.

Though, any modern straight up ssd might crush that SSHD.

Mar 23, 2021
That's a lot of fancy language that I will never understand but I think I got the gist of it, is there any better alternative that you would recommend using?

I can also see a massive difference in performance, it takes like 5 years to load up chrome. I did move the boot drive and I think that might be an issue, maybe I did it wrong or something. There was another person who suggested reinstalling windows and I wanted to get your input on it since you sound really smart.

so yeah... the drive is definitely slower than it should be (I will save up for an SSD tho) and so far I have no ideas except to reinstall my windows.

The Barracuda should be reading a lot faster than 9.95...for write speeds that's about average for a decent HHD these days. Have you tried other SATA ports on the board ? Have you swapped out the SATA cable ?

If you can afford a 500gb SSD for your boot drive I would go that route and use the Barracuda for storage after you sort out why it's reading so slowly.

Solution