Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
I'm going to just nab a q6600 probably and wait for nehalem...who knows when it will come out though. I might or might not. Did they happen to show off the performance at the IDF?...Really curious on what type of performance that sucker brings.

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I have to say, Intel is a company on a mission from God....

Penryn apparently right on track.
Functional demos of Nehalem systems
Functional 32 nano SRAM

Intel is on a scary, dare I say terrifying, run.

If AMD can pull a few rabbits out the hat, we could all be in for one heck of a ride.

mrmez

Splendid
Pity all that extra power wont really translate to more performance in games.

For (pretty much) the 1st time in PC history we have MORE than enuf cpu power for games.

Now if ATI and NV can pull something similar out of the bag...

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Yeh i think your right mrmez, we have quad core cpus that most users will never utilise, my q6600 is running server2003 64bit with exchange server, WSUS server, azureous bittorrent constantly and im still using it as a general email web viewing machine and it barely touches 20% utilisation on the CPU CRAZY

Rripperr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Actually, the problem isn't even really graphics anymore.

The problem is actually related to coding and storing all the data nessesary for all those nice hi-res graphics. It takes a lot of time (man-hours) to devise and code all those nice polygons, textures, and lighting effects. And debugging. And testing.

Then, there's the problem of space. There's the problem of the finite space involved in transfering the product (whether it's CD/DVD/Downloadable Content). How much are you willing to spend to get the prouct to the customer?

Finally, there's the problem of how much you can retail the product for. You could have the greatest game ever created on 2 DVD's, but if you have to retail it for $100 a copy to offset your costs you probably won't be able to sell enough copies to get your initial investment back.

The simple fact is, the days of being able to produce and market high-quality game titles out of your bedroom/garage are largely over. It now takes 3-5 years, with dozens of experienced artists and programmers with million-dollar equipment and developer kits, to produce even a fair/average game. It varies from title to title, but it now cost an average of 10-15 million to produe and distibute a class A title. So, it's more a problem of economics, not technology..

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I know Valve is big on the multicores. I do believe the updates to the source engine for Ep2 will handle upto quadcore. So not everyone is sitting back and not paying attention to trends.

shargrath

Distinguished
May 13, 2007

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Hardware has so outstripped OS and application capabilities, it seems rather pointless. Hmmmm...if we could just put...say.....16GB of RAM on the die.....what's the point?....XP addresses 3GB.
So now because we have 8 cores we can run 8 task side by side.....
Let me see...now...how many times do I run even 4 tasks?

On the other hand more is better ...right? I wonder how much this one will cost us?

sedaine

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007
Looks like Intel liked AMD's fusion idea - they liked it so much that they will get to market first with it!!!!

If only AMD could keep thei mouth shut!!!

Ha ha ha

winkdaddy123

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
OK, stupid noob "upgrade path question", ......will all these motherboards everyone talks about, 680i, P35, X38, etc, etc,...will these boards be compatible with the Nehalem chips next year or will you have to buy all new in order to run the chip?

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
You will need to buy a new motherboard. Completely different design for chipset interconnect. We will no longer have to use a FSB like we have now. It will be similiar in what it is supposed to do but the physical connection is serial rather than parallel.

Candide

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007

From what I had heard, Fusion (and all the debt it incurred) was a reaction to knowing this was coming on the Intel roadmap. Got to remember that proc companies move their chess pieces a very long time before the day their products hit.

makotech222

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
when is that new motherboard expected for nehalem? i plan ong etting a new computer for college, andi dont wanna have to change right away for nehalem. Im going in like august 2008... i just want to know if the motherboard will be out, not the actual cpu. i know that comes later.

Rripperr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Nehalem isn't due out till Aug/Sept of next year. It uses a new socket, so the CPU/Mobo's will probably be released similtainously.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Also Nehalem has memory controller on the chip, so the motherboard needs a complete overhaul becuase of that fact too so new northbridge and what not.

So simultaneous release is inevitable

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Nehalem is bound to cost a fortune when it first releases. The boards that will support it are going to be overpriced as well.

Perhaps this is one of those things that is: If you have to ask how much , it is not for you.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

I don't know if that's necessarily true. Intel tends to release their flagship products (the Extreme models) at ~$1,000 USD. If AMD can keep up (even if they trail behind closely), they should release at about the same price as they do now.

andybird123

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007

only the server version (Socket B aka LGA 1366) will have an integrated memory controller, the desktop version (Socket H aka LGA 715) won't have the IMC, but it'll still not be compatible with current 775

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

I'll say that only when I'll see how upcoming games like Crysis, Unreal Tournament 3, Far Cry 2 and Alan Wake perform with everything maxed out. :D

I'll surely need all the available to feed my "soon to get" 24 inches LCD @ 1920*1200 if you see what I mean. :bounce:

Still, it's good to know that Intel is doing so well right now. Maybe it'll soon be time for IBM (Smasung) to grab AMD while it's value is going down but with good project in the making. Let's just hope :pfff: they can pull a rabbit out of their hat like somebody said before.