Question Hey I just bought a 970evopluss m.2 for my pc and tried to download windows but I can't anyway to get around this or do I have to buy a compatible ssd

Jul 15, 2021
Hey I just bought a 970evopluss m.2 for my pc and tried to download windows but I can't anyway to get around this or do I have to buy a compatible ssd?
when I get to the installation part it tells me my hardware may not support it and to check if controllers are enabled they are enabled btw
did a convert to gpt thing on the ssd trying to fix it was able to download windows but then it wouldn't boot and it would just throw me back to the bios
tried csm start up or whatever its called tried it about 20 times restarting my pc re putting in the ssd completely turning off my pc and back on restarting multiple times after downloading windows but then it tells me it wont support it

Hardware
z390e gaming asus motherboard https://www.amazon.com/Asus-ROG-Str...t=&hvlocphy=9033660&hvtargid=pla-568399766766
970 evo plus 1 terabyte https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-...ectronics&sprefix=970e,electronics,276&sr=1-3
2060 ti I don't remember which one
and that's all the important stuff I think... also I'm not apposed to buying another ssd just don't want to wake 2 weeks for it to get here I live in a barren land..

sonofjesse

Distinguished

(you can search should be a lot of other threads like this)

CSM=MBR
UEFI=GPT

You basically need to figure out if your disk is MBR or GPT then match the BIOS setting. (GPT is the way forward).

If this a new disk (not cloneing etc)

Just set MB to UEFI and then install 21h1 fresh as GPT.

Jul 15, 2021
what is MB and what is 21h1 ?
edit
I am not tech savvy at all infact I could have missed a few steps along the way I'm willing to fork out 100 bucks for a ssd to hold windows any suggestions that are in a gpt format? I saw this but I don't know if it is gpt

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Start over with this install.

What other drives are in this system?
To install to this 970, you want ONLY that drive in there.

Jul 15, 2021
You can format your drive to GPT in the cmd prompt. You can google that. :) goodluck, if you have problems dont feel bad to message me.
So I formated my drive to gpt using cmd but when I go to download windows it still gives me the warning/error that windows cannot be download on this device I have restarted cleaned and tried multiple times and my boot settings have been changed to uefi and legacy to see if that was the problem multiple times

Jul 15, 2021
So I formated my drive to gpt using cmd but when I go to download windows it still gives me the warning/error that windows cannot be download on this device I have restarted cleaned and tried multiple times and my boot settings have been changed to uefi and legacy to see if that was the problem multiple times
also to note I don't know why but it is also calling it drive 2 but it is the only memory in my pc other then the USB that I'm using to download windows on

Jul 15, 2021
What physical drives are in this system?

Don't assume....open it up and LOOK.
what do you mean by physical drives when putting together the pc the only storage that I put in the the nvme m.2 other than that there is the ram and the graphics card plus cpu
also update I was able to download windows onto the m.2 drive but now bios says I have no bootable options

USAFRet

Titan
what do you mean by physical drives when putting together the pc the only storage that I put in the the nvme m.2 other than that there is the ram and the graphics card plus cpu
also update I was able to download windows onto the m.2 drive but now bios says I have no bootable options
If it says that, you did not install the OS properly.

Start over...

And the term is "install", not "download".
Yes, it makes a difference.

Jul 15, 2021
ok so things i don't understand 1 it says my nvme is drive 2 but there is nothing else storage wise connected to my computer unless ram and gpus can do that the only other things are like the fans and power supply. I'm using a flash drive I bought from Microsoft for the installation of windows because I didn't have a windows key and wanted one so I thought I would do that also since I installed windows onto the m.2 it doesn't recognise it as a bootable option now

Jul 15, 2021
ok so this is what it says
drive 2 partition 1 300mb system
drive 2 partition 2 16mb msr reserved
drive 2 partition 3 928.7 primary
and you want me to delete them

Jul 15, 2021
ok so I deleted all partitions till just the drive remained then installed windows now I'm back at the install screen and the 3 partitioned drives have reappered