Question Hi so i have a cpu and motherboard that is pretty old and i just wanna know if is it possible to change it

khadkamon

Prominent
Nov 4, 2017
Hi so i have a old motherboard and old cpu that it could only support 6th gen cpu such as i have an i5-6400 cpu this was an pre-build gaming pc and i just wanna change the motherboard and cpu with a new case so far for the other i have a gtx 1070 a new 650 ps new 16gb ddr4 ram with i bought 1 month ago i wanna re use those parts and my harddrive as well so i just wanna if thats possible .

What pre-built PC do you have? Some have proprietary motherboards. other than that, what you ask is possible. You will probably need a new Windows license as most pre-built PCs come with windows that is tied to the motherboard, and can't legally be used with a new MB.

khadkamon

Prominent
Nov 4, 2017
Just a quick question but the asus prime z390-a could take the new rtx gpu right like the 2060,2070,2080? I i were to upgrade it

Just a quick question but the asus prime z390-a could take the new rtx gpu right like the 2060,2070,2080? I i were to upgrade it
You should have no physical problems if you exchange the motherboard to the Asus and the Asus will have no problem supporting the RTX20xx series of GPUs. Your PSU could be an issue, as well as the licensing of Windows.

khadkamon

Prominent
Nov 4, 2017
Why would my psu be a problem and should i just buy a new one while im at it and for the windows i will buy a new and put it in a usb

Why would my psu be a problem and should i just buy a new one while im at it and for the windows i will buy a new and put it in a usb
I said it could be a problem. It depends on the quality of the PSU, and whether or not it has ALL the needed connections to power your motherboard and peripherals(HDD,SSD,Optical drives, GPU, fans, etc.), and capacity.

khadkamon

Prominent
Nov 4, 2017
yea tbh it could be a problem i bought it for cheap price. Could you recommended me a good psu for the parts im gonna be getting and also a new case to go with it the case i have right now i is to small and also wanna upgrade that as well thnx again.

Karadjgne

Titan
Herald
We are missing some info. Many prebuilts use proprietary connections, that includes the power supply and front i/o. You have a new psu. What we don't know is if that's a new psu to fit your old stuff, or whether it's an aftermarket ATX standard.

Getting a new case, mobo, cpu is fine, most peripherals like gpu, storage etc are universal, they'll mount on anything, so that's an easy swap. The only issue will be with your copy of Windows. Pre-built OEMs like HP, Dell, Lenovo Sony etc have deals with Microsoft for the Windows. It too is proprietary to that motherboard. By replacing the motherboard with an aftermarket version, you'll almost certainly need a new registry key, one personilzed to you, not one registered to the pre-built OEM.

New case, PSU, CPU, GPU, Motherboard. You haven't upgraded your PC, you've built a whole new PC!

Kind of like the old carpenter that has owned the same hammer for thirty years, He only had to replace the head twice and the handle 3 times.

mgallo848

Commendable
Apr 4, 2018
I believe this is his PC:
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/ideacentre/y700/Y700/p/99IC9Y70219

It already came with the GTX 1070, 16GB ram, a 450w PSU ect..

He wants to upgrade the motherboard, CPU, PSU (650w) and case.

He wants to know if he can re-use the rest of his system.

If what I've said so far is correct then yes, you should be fine.

Edit: from the looks of this picture you may be able to re-use the case if you want to also.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS