hidden (unnamed) network has the same MAC address as my wireless connection

Trev10admin

Commendable
May 24, 2016
I'm using Wifi Analyzer on my smartphone and I can see the hidden (unnamed) network has the same MAC address as my cable modem so I know my cable modem is the source of the secondary network. It also broadcasts on the same channel as my home wifi network even if I change channel

Model TG587n v2 Software Release 8.4.3.K

Solution
yea seems like suspicious am can you log into your modem router settings as this can tell what devices are connected to your modem also phone your internet provider to see if there is a or some activity that should not be either connected or not be on that mac address
Hmm.... Very suspect. Try unplugging your cable modem and see if it's still there. I am tempted to suggest you are dealing with an amateur WiFi hacker here trying to, in simple terms, decieve your devices into connecting to his AP and stealing the traffic with a packet sniffer.
(Oh, and the changing channel thing is probably scripted.)

ac13044

Honorable
Mar 25, 2016
yea seems like suspicious am can you log into your modem router settings as this can tell what devices are connected to your modem also phone your internet provider to see if there is a or some activity that should not be either connected or not be on that mac address

Solution

Trev10admin

Commendable
May 24, 2016