Question high CPU temperature at my I7-12700KF

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
No....but how can I found out?It would be great if I could fix this and found out that the stuttering is fixed and cpu temperature is safe
HWMonitor will tell you. I very much doubt there is a problem with your voltage, I was just curious. I was just looking at your cooler, I thought it might be in the ballpark of a Cooler Master Hyper 212 but looks like it's not.
I notice your package power in your original screenshot hit a max of 118W, that's below the max power it could use at it's base clock speed. So it's not that surprising your still having an issue.

Reactions: COSMINiftime1705

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
I turned of my intel turbo boost to have a constant 3,6 GHz frequency on my processor, but i still got 100 Celsius degrees even if is not very on load....

Are you saying your CPU never drops below 3.6GHz, even when the computer is idling?

Intel Speedstep should reduce the CPU frequency (and the power dissipation) to much lower levels when you aren't running any intensive tasks, such as games or Handbrake conversions.

Even with a less than optimal (low performance) cooler, the CPU should not reach anywhere near 100C when idling. I wouldn't expect temperatures much above 50C with the Antec A30 (asuming it's correctly mounted) when Task Manager is showning 5% to 10% CPU activity.

As soon as you push the CPU hard, that's when I would expect the Antec A30 to abandon the task of cooling up to 190W of Maximum Turbo Power (see Intel spec 12700KF sheet).
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...700kf-processor-25m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

The Antec A30 is rated at only 95W. The 12700KF can produce 190W at times (possibly more). You need another 95W of cooling.
https://www.antec.com/product/cooling/a30

Are you certain the cooler is clamped down properly? It uses those "nasty" plastic push pins which can be difficult to fit and are easily "mangled". If any of the mounting pins are damaged, the cooler becomes as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard. Plastic push pins are a cheap engineering solution just waiting to go wrong.

Assuming all the pins are undamaged, if any of them aren't fully locked down into the motherboard, the cooler will not work as designed. If the heatsink makes bad contact with the CPU due to uneven mounting, temperatures will soar. This might be your problem. Check the mountings and buy an NH-D15 or 360mm AIO.
gallery-a30-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nighthawk117
Aug 4, 2023
I turned of my intel turbo boost to have a constant 3,6 GHz frequency on my processor, but i still got 100 Celsius degrees even if is not very on load....

Are you saying your CPU never drops below 3.6GHz, even when the computer is idling?

Intel Speedstep should reduce the CPU frequency (and the power dissipation) to much lower levels when you aren't running any intensive tasks, such as games or Handbrake conversions.

Even with a less than optimal (low performance) cooler, the CPU should not reach anywhere near 100C when idling. I wouldn't expect temperatures much above 50C with the Antec A30 (asuming it's correctly mounted) when Task Manager is showning 5% to 10% CPU activity.

As soon as you push the CPU hard, that's when I would expect the Antec A30 to abandon the task of cooling up to 190W of Maximum Turbo Power (see Intel spec 12700KF sheet).
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...700kf-processor-25m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

The Antec A30 is rated at only 95W. The 12700KF can produce 190W at times (possibly more). You need another 95W of cooling.
https://www.antec.com/product/cooling/a30

Are you certain the cooler is clamped down properly? It uses those "nasty" plastic push pins which can be difficult to fit and are easily "mangled". If any of the mounting pins are damaged, the cooler becomes as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard. Plastic push pins are a cheap engineering solution just waiting to go wrong.

Assuming all the pins are undamaged, if any of them aren't fully locked down into the motherboard, the cooler will not work as designed. If the heatsink makes bad contact with the CPU due to uneven mounting, temperatures will soar. This might be your problem. Check the mountings and buy an NH-D15 or 360mm AIO.
gallery-a30-1.jpg
I checked and this is mounted correctly 🤔,and about frequency, sometimes it did went below 3.6 GHz in idle

https://www.enermax.com/en/products/liqmax-iii-argb-series-360mm-cpu-liquid-cooler

I think that this one could do his work for my processor...I hope it does
I would ignore those, they had issues with corrosion and leaking. It may well be fixed on ones being produced now but I would air on the side of caution.

The Aritc Freezer 360mm you looked at before would be a better bet if you were to move to a case that could fit it. The DeepCool 360mm would also be fine. The Corsair H150i is also a worthy consideration.

Aug 4, 2023
HWMonitor will tell you. I very much doubt there is a problem with your voltage, I was just curious. I was just looking at your cooler, I thought it might be in the ballpark of a Cooler Master Hyper 212 but looks like it's not.
I notice your package power in your original screenshot hit a max of 118W, that's below the max power it could use at it's base clock speed. So it's not that surprising your still having an issue.
So what are you saying is that my CPU should normally have a bigger package power
I would ignore those, they had issues with corrosion and leaking. It may well be fixed on ones being produced now but I would air on the side of caution.

The Aritc Freezer 360mm you looked at before would be a better bet if you were to move to a case that could fit it. The DeepCool 360mm would also be fine. The Corsair H150i is also a worthy consideration.
You are saying about this one? https://www.vexio.ro/watercooling-s...-campaign&utm_campaign=compari_shopping-click

Aug 4, 2023
Under a full load on all 12 cores yes.

Yes that's the one, it gets good reviews and I'm not aware of any reliability issues. I would expect to the Artic to be the quieter of the two at the same temperature.
Yes,i can afford this one easily but my concern is about pc case...I mean,how can I know if it's good? Of course beside dimensions

No...but what I know is that it has length of 32 cm,height of 44 cm and width of 21 cm with 6 vents.I guess is pretty small for a 360 mm AIO isn't it?
It possibly might fit one at the front but I'm not a huge fan of front mounted radiators because they obstruct airflow to the GPU. Not so much of an issue for the 3060 Ti but is a problem for higher end GPU's.

I assume when you say 6 vents, these are 120 vents for fans?. Can I assume it has space for 3 x 120mm fans at the front, 2 x 120mm at the top and 1 x 120mm at the back?

Do you have any pictures of this case?

Aug 4, 2023
It possibly might fit one at the front but I'm not a huge fan of front mounted radiators because they obstruct airflow to the GPU. Not so much of an issue for the 3060 Ti but is a problem for higher end GPU's.

I assume when you say 6 vents, these are 120 vents for fans?. Can I assume it has space for 3 x 120mm fans at the front, 2 x 120mm at the top and 1 x 120mm at the back?

Do you have any pictures of this case?
yes,i managed to do some pictures of it
View: https://imgur.com/a/W4xzE1m

Aug 4, 2023
I can see clearly you have 3 fans at the front. It looks like you have a PSU shroud, does part of that come away at the front? Often that's the case to make room for radiators.

I can't tell from the picture what options you have at the top. Do you have vents and fan mounts there?
no,it's look like i can't take that part away....and about top,is emply.I don't have vents there

Aug 4, 2023
It's still difficult to tell from the size of the pictures. However it sounds like you can take a 240mm at the front but not a 360mm.
exactly...that's why i must change it.....even if it doesn't fix my stutter problem,i must change it quickly cuz it can damage my CPU.But would still be nice to fix stutter,cuz it's annoying...i changed motherboard to fix stuttering,CPU,RAM..and i still have stutter...let's hope that this problem will also be fixed

exactly...that's why i must change it.....even if it doesn't fix my stutter problem,i must change it quickly cuz it can damage my CPU.But would still be nice to fix stutter,cuz it's annoying...i changed motherboard to fix stuttering,CPU,RAM..and i still have stutter...let's hope that this problem will also be fixed
I agree stuttering is very annoying, but your diagnosing your PC for issues that might cause it, and you've found a big one. You will only know if it's the cause or not once its been eliminated. My expectation though would be large fluctuations in clockspeed caused by thermal throttling will cause stuttering in games.

thank you so much for your time and your support....i hope to come back with good news...
Your welcome, if you do go to the trouble of changing your case and you have sufficient room for a large one. I would opt for one that can fit a 360mm AIO in multiple locations. My preference would normally be the roof. Usually manufacturers will detail the radiator support on their website.

zx128k

Reputable
His cooler has a maximum TDP of 150 watts. Basically its good only if he runs the cpu at base TDP.

Processor Base Power 125 watts.
Maximum Turbo Power 190 watts. Even running normally he should hit temperature limits. You can limit the turbo power to 125 watts in the bios but that will cause a performance loss. It should limit the maximum temperatures. Upto the OP if he wants to buy a better cooler. A decent AIO would give more headroom.

His cooler has a maximum TDP of 150 watts. Basically its good only if he runs the cpu at base TDP.

Processor Base Power 125 watts.
Maximum Turbo Power 190 watts. Even running normally he should hit temperature limits. You can limit the turbo power to 125 watts in the bios but that will cause a performance loss. It should limit the maximum temperatures. Upto the OP if he wants to buy a better cooler. A decent AIO would give more headroom.
The cooler is not that much better than a Wraith Stealth. Knowing what 150W's is like, I would still want a 240mm AIO or dual tower air cooler for that.