[SOLVED] High CPU Usage (100%) In Games

Feb 23, 2019
When i start up a game my cpu spikes up to 100% and stays there and it makes all the other background programs stutter and lag like Discord and Spotify it started doing it like a week ago. Never had the problem before

Specs:
i5-7500
GTX Geforce 1070Ti Asus Strix 8GB
DDR4 RAM 16GB
2 Monitors 144hz
Windows 10

the pc is only 1 year old. I hope someone can help ;/

Solution
When i start up a game my cpu spikes up to 100% and stays there and it makes all the other background programs stutter and lag like Discord and Spotify it started doing it like a week ago.
You can set up windows to pay more attention to background apps.
Also you could use a frame limiter to run your games at lower FPS and keep your CPU from running at 100% all the time.
xZ4cin5.jpg
Feb 23, 2019
It is at a okay temp, and i tried to turn off all the programs that runs over 1 % while in game and it still went to a 100%
But how do i check the CPU Speed ??

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Check cpu speed and temps with HWinfo64 or Coretemp while running a game. Would be easier to run msi Afterburner onscreen stats where you can monitor things like cpu temps/usages, ram, gpu temps/usages and fps while playing.

Whats your drive configuration and how much space is left?

compprob237

Distinguished
Do a CPU benchmark and compare it to others of the same CPU. Passmark and UserBenchmark both offer good tests.
If the performance matches or exceeds expected then nothing is wrong.
If the performance is slightly worse than expected then it's probably OK and you have a background process being an issue (Anti-virus?)
If the performance is significantly worse than expected then you have a problem.

I can tell you that my 6600K is starting to cause other programs to lag/stutter in games that use all 4 cores to their max. Fallout 4 and Star Citizen will make Youtube videos stutter or cause audio desync. That's solely due to the CPU not offering enough threads/physical cores to the system for that. Contrary to common belief a quad core CPU is no longer enough for newer games.

Reactions: Karadjgne
When i start up a game my cpu spikes up to 100% and stays there and it makes all the other background programs stutter and lag like Discord and Spotify it started doing it like a week ago.
You can set up windows to pay more attention to background apps.
Also you could use a frame limiter to run your games at lower FPS and keep your CPU from running at 100% all the time.
xZ4cin5.jpg

Solution

TRENDING THREADS