Question High Cpu usage NEED HELP!

Nov 23, 2020
Hello,

I am new to this forum but have read from it many a time. Over the past few months I have been running into the issue of very high cpu usage in all games. My build is an I5 6600k at 4.3ghz with a 1070 and 16gb of 3200mhz ddr4. My issue seems to differ for certain games. In minecraft if I load up a new world I can expect to wait 2-4 minutes to let my pc load in the world before I can make any smooth movement on screen (CPU usage is at 100%). When I play Valorant I see periods of low cpu utilization as well as many times of 100% usage. This causes my game to stagger quite aggressively and can get annoying. My 1070 never seems to get hot and never uses more than 40% as well as my cpu never gets hot but uses 100% a lot of the time. I have tried optimizing many things in and out of game as well as making sure no extra programs are open in the background. This issue is ruining any gaming experience I try to have and am now tempted to build a new computer but can't sell this one if it doesn't work properly. Any help would be awesome!

Nov 23, 2020
full system spec? include make and model of the psu
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
ssd usage? how full it is?
malware scan the system?
Unfortunately I left for vacation the day that I posted the thread so I will have to try my best to remember all specs. Intel I5 6600k cooled by NZXT Kraken x62, GTX 1070 Founders Edition, Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz ddr4 16gb (8GB x 2), samsung 850 evo 2.5" drive (250GB) as well as seagate barracuda 2tb 3.5" drive, Asus Maximus Hero VIII, psu im not super sure but it might be a cooler master 750w 80+ bronze semi modular. I believe thats the full list other than case which is a NZXT Noctis 450. DUring game CPU and GPU tend to hover between 40c and 50c. SSD is probably 65-70% full. I get scanned by Mcafee which is provided by my college. Never found a threat.

Nov 23, 2020
Id say I agree but it used to run minecraft with no issues, yet now even with loading up older versions I get the same lag spikes. I do realize the cpu is quite old but it shouldn't lag on older versions that it used to run easily.
I also seem to have an issue with my ram because it says the usage is a lot higher than it actually is at idle and can be around 50-65% but after a reboot its back to normal

It's possible a WIndows update might have written over something in your driver set...

Have you tried removing/reinstalling Geforce Experience and driver, and, reinstalling appropriate chipset driver?

Run HWmonitor and CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU just to see what temps and clock speeds are being hit/maintained under a 95% load (CPU-Z will induce 100% load, but, it is not as stressful as Prime95/small FFTs/no AVX which you can use if you prefer)

Nov 23, 2020
It's possible a WIndows update might have written over something in your driver set...

Have you tried removing/reinstalling Geforce Experience and driver, and, reinstalling appropriate chipset driver?

Run HWmonitor and CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU just to see what temps and clock speeds are being hit/maintained under a 95% load (CPU-Z will induce 100% load, but, it is not as stressful as Prime95/small FFTs/no AVX which you can use if you prefer)
I'll have to attempt to reinstall drivers as I don't believe I have done that yet. For the rest tbh it sounded like gibberish. Could you explain that a little more?