[SOLVED] High CPU usage when downloading.

benjamin.he9

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018
I was wonder is my cpu suppose to be near or close to 100 when im downloading. I was downloading games and I find that my usage is up near 100%. Processor is ryzen 5 2600x. Temps are fine. Running on ryzen balance plan. Wondering is there anything I need to look at or change to lower the usage because i feel near 90-100% is a bit too much just to download a game.

Solution
CPU utilization depends on what you have open in the background, download speed, any compression, encryption and other extra processing involved on top of the basic bit-pushing, CPU performance, etc.

On my i5-3470, idle CPU usage is 8-10% and ~4% of it is Task Manager itself.

InvalidError

Titan
You should look at the detailed all-users process list to see what processes are actually using the CPU. May have something to do with live-scanning anti-virus - I know I used to turn off Windows Defender due to excessive CPU usage when playing some games years ago.

benjamin.he9

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018
You should look at the detailed all-users process list to see what processes are actually using the CPU. May have something to do with live-scanning anti-virus - I know I used to turn off Windows Defender due to excessive CPU usage when playing some games years ago.
I checked
In my task manager I saw that when I started downloading a steam game it jumped from like 5-99%. I saw that 2 avast process was taking 20% of my usage. So I uninstalled it and got malwarebyte instead and disabled windows defender, restarted and download another game. Now im getting around 11-30% and rare 50-60% spike. so I'm guessing that was the anti virus' fault. Also are my percentages normal now when downloading not just games but in general?

InvalidError

Titan
CPU utilization depends on what you have open in the background, download speed, any compression, encryption and other extra processing involved on top of the basic bit-pushing, CPU performance, etc.

On my i5-3470, idle CPU usage is 8-10% and ~4% of it is Task Manager itself.

Solution