Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

A lot of people will tell you installing ANY and I mean ANY FireWall software will take a large chunk of CPU/Memory. Another thing is Drivers, but those are just something most people will need and some people will just download the graphics if the OS already did the sound and wifi for them. In my case I was showing a slight decrease in performance when I downloaded my motherboard driver/wifi driver/graphics driver/5.1 sound driver. I never installed a FireWall program on my gaming build for the reason of game servers and just general hardware performance. I have never got a virus either.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
A small amount of idle CPU usage is normal since obviously you have background services and apps running etc. Mine ranges from 1-8% at the moment. If you're worried scan for malware and other junk.

I would recommend SUPERAntiSpyware, it's a very good all-round utility with a high-detection rate. The free version will allow you to perform a system scan. Be careful for false positives though since it's a powerful scanner.

Link: http://www.superantispyware.com/

Give me a post back if you need anything else. Good luck!

reignoffear18

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

thx im downloading the spyware , i think its not normal . i have to much lag in GTA IV ,I was playing GTA until yesterday without any lags.

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

A lot of people will tell you installing ANY and I mean ANY FireWall software will take a large chunk of CPU/Memory. Another thing is Drivers, but those are just something most people will need and some people will just download the graphics if the OS already did the sound and wifi for them. In my case I was showing a slight decrease in performance when I downloaded my motherboard driver/wifi driver/graphics driver/5.1 sound driver. I never installed a FireWall program on my gaming build for the reason of game servers and just general hardware performance. I have never got a virus either.

Solution

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

No problem. If you find anything untoward obviously remove it and see if it's any better. Background apps can also be guilty of consuming CPU usage, such as anti-virus software and firewalls but unfortunately they are a necessary tool nowadays. However, junk such as Windows Live Messenger is the furthest thing from necessary. It eats up 4-5M of RAM just sat there in your tray doing nothing and the number of people who leave it start up with their computer is beyond me. Unfortunately the majority of people fail to realise that there's more to having a fast and clean computer and than filling your motherboard full of RAM and the latest prcoessors. Anyway enough of my rant :whistle: Let me know if there's anything else.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

Well they are likely to be contributing to your issues. It depends on the nature of the malware whether you can just delete it and it will go away. Some do, but others require a bit more work to remove completely.

Forgot to mention, you can use the Task Manager and browse to the Processes tab, it will tell you which processes are using your CPU and at what percentage. Post back with any suspiciously high processes and we'll go from there :)

reignoffear18

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
thx man, i did it before none of the procsses in there is using CPU that much , just some times dmw.exe uses 2 % i dont know where is the other 10% usage is coming from. :(

anti spyware is still scaning and have find 165 more threats :D

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

dwm.exe is the Desktop Windows Manager process which is responsible for all those pretty effects you see on your desktop - the translucent glass appearance, desktop composition and any animations etc. Naturally, this will use a bit of juice particularly if you have all the shizzle turned on ;)

Let that scan finish and then remove what you find, unless you 100% know it to be a false positive. 165 threats is a fair few so that could well be the core of your problems. Good luck :)

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Use the Task Manager and browse to the Processes tab, it will tell you which processes are using your CPU and at what percentage. Post back with any suspiciously high processes and we'll go from there.

As I said above, according to the nature of the malware it may reinstate itself at startup and have underlying processes that disable you from removing it properly. Unfortunately malware is becoming trickier and trickier to remove! It may be worth running a scan in safe mode too since this disables the majority of unneeded startup scripts and processes.

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Read my last post thats most likley your problem.

Another way to fix this CPU usage is click start/allprograms/startup and find out everything that is trying to run when the computer first boots.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1401-startup-programs-change.html

That is the link to the windows7forum you might want to study this problem in those forums.

I hope this helped you as well.

reignoffear18

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
thx friends, i did what you said , scaning in safemode and startup programs , i have find something, 'audiodg.exe' it Uses 6-12 % of CPU 24.796 k memory when pc is idle and the Username is LOCAL SERVICE , i close it but it opens it self again. how i can close it?

SHANEMARINES

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

I told you that erlier that it was a driver.

lol.

I'm just happy you figured this out!

So this thread would be considered solved correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.