Question High end computer feels lacking in performance ?

BlackBunny526

Honorable
Feb 1, 2016
Hi there,

So Ive recently upgraded my pc to fairly high end specs. And i feel like it may be struggling more than it really should be in terms of performance on games at max or in some cases even high settings. Yet my user benchmark says its extremely high performance ratings as follows. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/56311483

It is Especially noticeable on games like cyber punk 2077 on Max raytracing settings; I'm averaging about 40-48 FPS, and with RTX off I'm getting 60-70 fps, which my specs are higher than the required for these settings, and the required specs is getting 120 fps average.
Snow Runner is similar on highest settings about 50-70 fps as a couple of examples. I haven't tested on too many high end games yet.

I am aware of an issue with my ram being limited to single channel configuration as the two 16Gb sticks are in formation A1-A2, and apparently the board wants them in A2-B2 but I cannot get the pc to detect both sticks when i do, Yet in CPU - Z software, it does show both sticks in dual channel, but the pc wont utilize both. However i cant see that being the main limit on the PC surely. i cant seem to fix this issue even though i have removed the CPU and inspected it for any damage and reseated it in place.

Also I'm aware that the Plait 4090 recommends a 1200 watt PSU but again i found that no one seems to be able to see a need for it to that much.

Ive tried all kinds of configs for Nvidia control panel as well with no luck also.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard: Aorus X570 MASTER
Ram: Corsair Vengence LPX 3600 Mhz 32GB (XMP1 Profile is enabled)
SSD/HDD: XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE 1TB NVMe
Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB
GPU: Plait Nvidia RTX 4090 24gb
PSU: Mi Series™ RM1000i — 1000 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU
Monitor: Omen x 25f 240hz 1080p

If anyone else has any ideas id be grateful to hear them.

Thanks in advance, Bunny aka kieran

BlackBunny526

Honorable
Feb 1, 2016
^ If that's the specs to your build after an upgrade, what were you on prior? Meaning we should be seeing a before and after of your specs. + How old is the PSU in your build?

Also I'm aware that the Plait 4090 recommends a 1200 watt PSU but again i found that no one seems to be able to see a need for it to that much.
This might be worth watching:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZcyhcPVxUM

So before hand i was operating a MSI Gaming Trio 2080 ti 12gb which was the recent upgrade to the 4090 as the 2080 ti had received fluid damage.

Also just a year ago i upgraded from an Aorus 390z motherboard to the Aorus x570 master
And cpu went from an Intel I7 4900k to the Ryzen 5950x however the performance upgrade from the Mobo + Cpu upgrade was very noticeable. Its just this recent GFX card upgrade that hasnt felt much better.

For the games in question the performance is on par, maybe 5-10 fps better.

And now from Re reading plaits recommended requirement's they have now dropped their requirement from 1200 watts to 1000 watts, using a 4x8 pin to the 16 pin converter supplied with the card.

And the PSU is just over 2 years old.

So upgrades in a clearer view,
MSI Gaming trio 2080 ti 12gb ---> Plait gamerock OC 4090 24gb
aorus z370 gaming 7 ---> Aorus X570 Master
Intel I7 4900k ---> AMD Ryzen 9 5950x

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
And now from Re reading plaits recommended requirement's they have now dropped their requirement from 1200 watts to 1000 watts, using a 4x8 pin to the 16 pin converter supplied with the card.
The purpose of the YT video I added was for the chart in the middle of the video.

Just like all things, age will cause deterioration and subsequent drop off in performance. PSU's won't output the same power it did when brand new.

Regardless, after the platform change, did you reinstall your OS?

first thing to try,

Put the ram in the correct channels and reseat the CPU, make sure not to over tighten the cooler on the CPU. 2nd, did you reinstall windows when you switched from Intel to AMD....i know i was over a year ago but still have to ask. 3rd, did you use DDU to uninstall the 2080 Ti drivers and then install new drivers downloaded from Nvidia's webpage?

BlackBunny526

Honorable
Feb 1, 2016
The purpose of the YT video I added was for the chart in the middle of the video.

Just like all things, age will cause deterioration and subsequent drop off in performance. PSU's won't output the same power it did when brand new.

Regardless, after the platform change, did you reinstall your OS?

I didn't do an OS reinstall for the Gfx card change, I deleted all the drivers and Nvidia software, and went through the files and removed any residue caches ect. so should of been like new in terms of graphics drivers and then reinstalled. I was hopping doing this would avoid the need to reinstall the OS.

BlackBunny526

Honorable
Feb 1, 2016
first thing to try,

Put the ram in the correct channels and reseat the CPU, make sure not to over tighten the cooler on the CPU. 2nd, did you reinstall windows when you switched from Intel to AMD....i know i was over a year ago but still have to ask. 3rd, did you use DDU to uninstall the 2080 Ti drivers and then install new drivers downloaded from Nvidia's webpage?

So i tried the RAM in the correct channels after removing and reseating the CPU, and did it up finger tight this time without a screw driver to see if that helps to no avail, that hasn't helped the Ram issue sadly, and yeah i did a fresh install when i got the AMD processor in.
And no i manually removed all the drivers files and reinstalled from nvidia

Hi there,

So Ive recently upgraded my pc to fairly high end specs. And i feel like it may be struggling more than it really should be in terms of performance on games at max or in some cases even high settings. Yet my user benchmark says its extremely high performance ratings as follows. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/56311483

It is Especially noticeable on games like cyber punk 2077 on Max raytracing settings; I'm averaging about 40-48 FPS, and with RTX off I'm getting 60-70 fps, which my specs are higher than the required for these settings, and the required specs is getting 120 fps average.
Snow Runner is similar on highest settings about 50-70 fps as a couple of examples. I haven't tested on too many high end games yet.

I am aware of an issue with my ram being limited to single channel configuration as the two 16Gb sticks are in formation A1-A2, and apparently the board wants them in A2-B2 but I cannot get the pc to detect both sticks when i do, Yet in CPU - Z software, it does show both sticks in dual channel, but the pc wont utilize both. However i cant see that being the main limit on the PC surely. i cant seem to fix this issue even though i have removed the CPU and inspected it for any damage and reseated it in place.

Ive tried all kinds of configs for Nvidia control panel as well with no luck also.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard: Aorus X570 MASTER
Ram: Corsair Vengence LPX 3600 Mhz 32GB (XMP1 Profile is enabled)
SSD/HDD: XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE 1TB NVMe
Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB
PSU: Mi Series™ RM1000i — 1000 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU

Thanks in advance, Bunny aka kieran
Work on the ram first there is some reason why you can't fit the ram in the proper slots.

LOL. You're pairing RTX 4090 with 1080p screen.
Have you not seen any benchmarks, how 4090 performs on 1080p compared much less expensive cards?
It absolutely needs 4k, to show performance advantage.

o85BKXqvzjrYAN7jbCSexm-1200-80.png.webp

S7qWqC7QUgt7MFKmp9Fgid-1200-80.png.webp

BlackBunny526

Honorable
Feb 1, 2016
LOL. You're pairing RTX 4090 with 1080p screen.
Have you not seen any benchmarks, how 4090 performs on 1080p compared much less expensive cards?
It absolutely needs 4k, to show performance advantage.

o85BKXqvzjrYAN7jbCSexm-1200-80.png.webp

S7qWqC7QUgt7MFKmp9Fgid-1200-80.png.webp
I'm not sure you've understood the problem, I have a 2k screen on the way, but it's not a visual performance improvement I was hoping for, it's a frame rate performance improvement I'm looking for with the graphics card upgrade. I know the quality is based on the screen Resolution. And that's the issue, is the frame rate hasn't improved, as that chart says it should be playing at 165 FPS on 1080p, but I'm getting about 70