[SOLVED] High end games crash suddenly without warning.

Aug 14, 2019
Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
Motherboard: B450 AORUS ELITE
PSU: Corsair RM 850x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz

Games are crashing on me suddenly, even when the frame rate seems to be fine and hovering around 60 fps. So far, I'm having this problem with Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider, Just Cause 3, and Titanfall 2. I'm expecting to be able to run at least Dishonored 2 on max settings without issue, am I wrong? I didn't have this problem at all until 3 or so weeks ago, afaik. In attempting to solve the problem, I installed a new motherboard, memory sticks, processor, and a new M.2 SDD for fun. None of this solved the problem.

My guess is that it has something to do with my GPU or PSU, do you guys have any clue? I've taken a look at a lot of other threads but they seem to go nowhere. Thank you for your help!

Additional Details: Core Temp tells me that my temperature when playing Dishonored 2 sits between 60-77 degrees. My GPU is not overclocked unless it came that way. I don't have the opportunity to test my video card in another system.

Last edited:
I don't know what I would have changed.

According to Geforce Experience, I have the latest game ready driver. What other drivers might be in need of updating?
your boards bios is a good bet.
also, check for any memory leaks. maybe your pc is hogging up like 12gb of ram and making the games max it out even tho you have more than enough ram.
(go in task manager and look at ram usage, if no games are open and its above or anywhere close to 60%, something wrong is goin on)

Aug 14, 2019
your boards bios is a good bet.
also, check for any memory leaks. maybe your pc is hogging up like 12gb of ram and making the games max it out even tho you have more than enough ram.
(go in task manager and look at ram usage, if no games are open and its above or anywhere close to 60%, something wrong is goin on)

I checked for memory leaks as you said. Computer sits at 32% with iTunes, task manager, and one tab of Chrome open, along with however many background tasks.

I won't pretend I know how to do anything involving BIOS. Would it have been a problem with both my old and new BIOS?

Motherboard drivers? Link: B450 Aorus Elite Driver Support
You're just crashing to desktop, right?
If it were either the gpu or psu, you'd be getting worse than that... black screens(this is sometimes caused by drivers too), and just shutting off instantly.

Alright, I updated everything under the "Drivers" section to the most recent version. I'll see if the problem still persists. Would have done the BIOS section as well but couldn't get it to install anything.

The games would usually crash to desktop, and sometimes would crash so my screens went black or stopped realizing there was anything to display, but I don't think it ever shut my computer off completely. Sounds like it may indeed be/have been a drivers issue.

If the problem stops, I'll come back to this thread and marked it as solved. Thanks so far guys!

EDIT: Played around with Dishonored 2 for about 1 and 1/2 missions. Didn't crash during that time, and I believe it would have previously. Going to go ahead and mark it solved. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019
I am having the same problem. Can you please tell me which specific driver needs to be updated?

Unfortunately not. I just updated each of the drivers under the "Drivers" section, as I said. Not sure which one fixed my problem. I'd try the SATA RAID driver last, as it caused me to undergo some possibly unnecessary confusion. (Can't even describe the confusion because it was too long ago and confusing)