High End PC - 2011 Socket - Thoughts (wishlist incl)

creeky

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Hi All,

I'm about to move to the states and will be building a new rig when I arrive. I'm taking my 2 7970 Ghz BEs over with me but everything else will be new.

My only real stipulations are that it must be transportable (hence the mid tower) in order to get it from what will be a temporary rent to a long term lease and must preform well.

Here's the wish list: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=27956668

So thoughts people? I'm not too sure about the screen, I currently run 30 inch older dells but reckon that the pixel density on the new 27 inch ips panel would be top notch.

All in is everything compatible?

Would plan to OC the CPU to the 4.6-4.8 region, hopefully keeping below 1.4v

The top end of my budget is $3000 but preferably keep it around the 2500 mark.

Cheers!

creeky

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Couple of further questions:

Planning on replacing the H60's stock fan with the Noctua fan, this should work, right?. Ideally it would be as quiet as possible, hence the case choice.

Also; to make it as quiet as possible I'd quite like to get a 10 meter DVI-D cable and USB extensions for the mouse and keyboard anyone have any experience with longer cables? Will a longer DVI cable cause issues?

Thanks again!

g-unit1111

Titan
Planning on replacing the H60's stock fan with the Noctua fan, this should work, right?. Ideally it would be as quiet as possible, hence the case choice.

Just don't purchase an H60 - they're not necessary and I've never seen anything that proves that an H60 is better than a strong air fan like a Noctua D14. Go with the D14 instead. This will give you better results than the H60 will: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

So thoughts people? I'm not too sure about the screen, I currently run 30 inch older dells but reckon that the pixel density on the new 27 inch ips panel would be top notch.

I think you're paying way too much for that SSD. 512GB SSDs are not worth it because of the astronomical cost per GB. This would be a more cost effective solution:

SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163
HD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148681

Also make sure you have 1600 RAM, you won't notice the speed increase using 1866.

Nanekud

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2012

First of all, I am amazed at the amount you are willing to spend on a monitor. Half of your budget? I think you could probably save a lot of money getting a less expensive monitor and have a lot of money to put into other parts.

Now, if I were you, I would wait a little bit for the LGA 2011 socket Ivy Bridge processors to be released. They are supposed to be released somewhere between now and somewhere in early-mid 2013. I like Ivy Bridge much more than Sandy Bridge for the video support. If you can't wait that long, I would drop the LGA 2011 socket completely and get a high-end Ivy Bridge 1155 processor and matching motherboard. --Disregard this if you are planning on creating a server out of this machine. (But I wouldn't think so)

About the SSD, I agree with g-unit1111. SSD cards don't have a good enough reputation yet to spend that much on one without having a standard HDD backup. I have a 60GB SSD strictly for my OS, in case anything happens to it. I have heard a lot of people saying that they don't last very long, just sayin'.

Think about this stuff, then respond with what you will do for further assistance! :D

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

What will you be using this for?

g-unit1111

Titan

I'm not saying traditional HDs are better than SSDs but the SSD will provide a significant speed boost. Where the problems lie is the limited capacity and that some manufacturers are more reliable than others. Drives based on the Sandforce controller are fast but not as reliable. Drives based on the Marvell controller are far more stable, but not as fast. Then there's Indilinx which is very fast but either it's reliable or not at all depending on what update is out for it. If companies would agree to a standard then we could start seeing improvements in reliability.

Now, if I were you, I would wait a little bit for the LGA 2011 socket Ivy Bridge processors to be released. They are supposed to be released somewhere between now and somewhere in early-mid 2013. I like Ivy Bridge much more than Sandy Bridge for the video support. If you can't wait that long, I would drop the LGA 2011 socket completely and get a high-end Ivy Bridge 1155 processor and matching motherboard. --Disregard this if you are planning on creating a server out of this machine. (But I wouldn't think so)

I'm not sure that IB-E is going to be worth the wait or not. SB-E is only a minor improvement over SB, so I'm only assuming that IB-E is going to be a minor improvement over IB. Now what could be a game changer is Haswell but that remains to be seen.