Question High End PC with low utilization, FPS, and MASSIVE stutters in basically every game I own.

Sep 20, 2022
I've had this system for two years with a 3070 Ti with gpu utilization of upwards of 30% utilization. People have told me I need a really good power supply, so I bought a EVGA 750 Watt GOLD standard PSU for 150$, didnt work, people said my gpu may be faulty. gave it to a friend on his rig, worked like a charm, people said "It's because you're using Single Channel RAM"

nope, borrowed a really high end dual channel ram kit, nope, bad cpu? Nope, got it RMA'd, still nothing, yes before any of you say "RYZEN cpu's NEED dual channel ram or its a 50% performance loss",

no, that's not true, i've tested that twice, still nothing. I have reseated this GPU 15 times, i have reseated and recabled EVERYTHING like 3 times, what's the problem? No conflicting drivers, no viruses, I've reformatted my whole pc, still nothing, lower graphics doesn't help, (actually lowering it that makes it WORSE?) If anyone thinks i am legitimately joking, I will record high settings (like 70 FPS on a 3070 TI?) and low settings is like 15FPS? I dont get it. It's been like this for 2 years, my RAM is not the problem. I have tried it, if someone mentions its RAM, it's not, i promise you. The single channel RAM is in its recommended slot for single channel as well.

SPECS:
I play at 1080p
CPU: RYZEN 9 3900x
GPU: RTX 3070 Ti Founder's Edition
Motherboard: X570-PLUS TuF gaming (Wi-Fi)
SSD: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 1 TB
RAM: GSkill, 16 GB Single Channel
PSU: EVGA 750W GOLD SuperNova

I am seriously at a loss. And before you mention the SSD is the problem, I 100% doubt a SSD influences all these problems. I am currently playing some of the LATEST games at HIGH settings/ (sometimes LOW to recoup SOME fps..) I get roughly 80 FPS on even some of the oldest games I own. This is unacceptable. I doubt a SSD will fix this. it's not possible. And im not spending more money on this, I literally can't this costed me 3000 dollars (inflation) i refuse to spend more, ive already learned my lesson buying a new psu. Either my system is forever bricked, or im a dumbass, AMD will not help me, NVIDIA closed my ticket before I even told them none of their prompts helped. I am helpless here.

Sep 20, 2022
Hello all,

Before I begin, here are my Specs:
I play at 1080p 144hz (at least I try to)

Most games I own are pretty demanding, but some are so simple to run, yet suffer so much for no apparent reason. Here is what I can gather and sort of relay from my experience:

Battlefield 2042: 15%~ CPU usage, 30%~ GPU Usage.
Fortnite: 5%~ CPU, 20%~ GPU
Borderlands 3: 25%~ CPU, 40%~ GPU
Insurgency Sandstorm; 20%~ CPU, 30%~ GPU
Destiny 2: 20%~ CPU, 30%~ GPU.

Basically, my high end system can't run these games, regardless of Resolution, Quality, Textures or whatever. Before you mention, yes, I am using 1 Single RAM stick. I get thats a problem, but I have tested dual channel, it didn't work. I don't have a virus, I've already reformatted Windows 11, I've bought a new PSU, I've RMA'd my CPU, I recabled everything 3 times, I reseated my GPU like 10 times, nothing thermal throttles, it's a mess.

Benchmarking shows really nothing too apparent, it usually scores within spec and is sometimes below average (probably from RAM), I'm very confused. I've been battling this for 2 years now, no joke. I really need help here,

Cheers.

Which BIOS version is installed on the motherboard?

to have a look what the problem could be:
run userbenchmark.com and post the http link of your result, e.g. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28977730

Reset the BIOS by jumper clrCMOS or JBAT or similar (eventually you will have to set the boot priority correctly after that)

check the memory by running memtest.org usb autoinstaller (bootable USB flash drive)

run the RAM @2133MHz to check if it happens then too

check the hard drive for errors with its manufacturer´s tool

if dual channel doesn´t work, your sticks or motherboard might be not compatible to the Ryzen CPU or faulty

Sep 20, 2022
Which BIOS version is installed on the motherboard?

to have a look what the problem could be:
run userbenchmark.com and post the http link of your result, e.g. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28977730

Reset the BIOS by jumper clrCMOS or JBAT or similar (eventually you will have to set the boot priority correctly after that)

check the memory by running memtest.org usb autoinstaller (bootable USB flash drive)

run the RAM @2133MHz to check if it happens then too

check the hard drive for errors with its manufacturer´s tool

if dual channel doesn´t work, your sticks or motherboard might be not compatible to the Ryzen CPU or faulty

BIOS version is the latest: 4403
I've reset the bios twice today actually
If you're referring to memory freq. I set it to the highest it will go
RAM at any freq. has this same issue
If it's faulty then I got absolutely scammed from TuF because now im sure my warranty is no longer available from all these years

If it's faulty then I got absolutely scammed from TuF because now im sure my warranty is no longer available from all these years
your board should be under local warranty for 5 years (Warranty cover under start of manufacturing date)
and 3 years standard warranty

Sep 20, 2022
your board should be under local warranty for 5 years (Warranty cover under start of manufacturing date)
and 3 years standard warranty
I hope so, after all these years and if the motherboard was to blame THIS WHOLE TIME im going to be rightfully mad lol. Crazy how much more helpful Tom's Hardware is compared to LTT's Forums, no offense to LTT forums users, they just have no clue what they do sometimes, thanks though

I've had this system for two years with a 3070 Ti with gpu utilization of upwards of 30% utilization. People have told me I need a really good power supply, so I bought a EVGA 750 Watt GOLD standard PSU for 150$, didnt work, people said my gpu may be faulty. gave it to a friend on his rig, worked like a charm, people said "It's because you're using Single Channel RAM"

nope, borrowed a really high end dual channel ram kit, nope, bad cpu? Nope, got it RMA'd, still nothing, yes before any of you say "RYZEN cpu's NEED dual channel ram or its a 50% performance loss",

no, that's not true, i've tested that twice, still nothing. I have reseated this GPU 15 times, i have reseated and recabled EVERYTHING like 3 times, what's the problem? No conflicting drivers, no viruses, I've reformatted my whole pc, still nothing, lower graphics doesn't help, (actually lowering it that makes it WORSE?) If anyone thinks i am legitimately joking, I will record high settings (like 70 FPS on a 3070 TI?) and low settings is like 15FPS? I dont get it. It's been like this for 2 years, my RAM is not the problem. I have tried it, if someone mentions its RAM, it's not, i promise you. The single channel RAM is in its recommended slot for single channel as well.

SPECS:
I play at 1080p

I am seriously at a loss. And before you mention the SSD is the problem, I 100% doubt a SSD influences all these problems. I am currently playing some of the LATEST games at HIGH settings/ (sometimes LOW to recoup SOME fps..) I get roughly 80 FPS on even some of the oldest games I own. This is unacceptable. I doubt a SSD will fix this. it's not possible. And im not spending more money on this, I literally can't this costed me 3000 dollars (inflation) i refuse to spend more, ive already learned my lesson buying a new psu. Either my system is forever bricked, or im a dumbass, AMD will not help me, NVIDIA closed my ticket before I even told them none of their prompts helped. I am helpless here.
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart, also tick all option in Nvidia option in the ddu settings).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 24 on yours since it's 24 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• reboot the PC to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios (do it again if you're currently using the latest bios) ver 4403 the one with agesa 1.2.0.7, go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, enable fastest xmp profile, then save and exit.

Optional: disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled). If gpu supports, why not XD

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.08.xx as the time i write this), then reboot.

• Install the latest nvidia driver, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

When you tried the dual channel RAM did you verify it was working in dual channel and at the correct speed? Single channel ram will cause lost performance, not 50% but it can be as much as 20-30% depending on the game. In some games it may also cause stuttering. A gaming pc should not be using single channel ram.

Hello all,

Before I begin, here are my Specs:
I play at 1080p 144hz (at least I try to)

Most games I own are pretty demanding, but some are so simple to run, yet suffer so much for no apparent reason. Here is what I can gather and sort of relay from my experience:

Battlefield 2042: 15%~ CPU usage, 30%~ GPU Usage.
Fortnite: 5%~ CPU, 20%~ GPU
Borderlands 3: 25%~ CPU, 40%~ GPU
Insurgency Sandstorm; 20%~ CPU, 30%~ GPU
Destiny 2: 20%~ CPU, 30%~ GPU.

Basically, my high end system can't run these games, regardless of Resolution, Quality, Textures or whatever. Before you mention, yes, I am using 1 Single RAM stick. I get thats a problem, but I have tested dual channel, it didn't work. I don't have a virus, I've already reformatted Windows 11, I've bought a new PSU, I've RMA'd my CPU, I recabled everything 3 times, I reseated my GPU like 10 times, nothing thermal throttles, it's a mess.

Benchmarking shows really nothing too apparent, it usually scores within spec and is sometimes below average (probably from RAM), I'm very confused. I've been battling this for 2 years now, no joke. I really need help here,

Cheers.
Just to take a look download this.

UBM

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run UBM with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results page.

Sep 20, 2022
Just to take a look download this.

UBM

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Post a LINK to the results page.

Here are my results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/55413527

Also, I hate to judge, but is UBM sort of inaccurate? I mean I do have Superposition which as you'll see in the results seem to perform really well. Which stumps me so much. It scores really good on benchmarks but on games it an actual nightmare.

Here, I am not sure if this will work, but here is a really good example on what I get on games:
file:///C:/Users/buddh/Videos/Fortnite/Fortnite%202022.09.20%20-%2017.37.35.02.DVR.mp4

Sep 20, 2022
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart, also tick all option in Nvidia option in the ddu settings).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 24 on yours since it's 24 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• reboot the PC to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios (do it again if you're currently using the latest bios) ver 4403 the one with agesa 1.2.0.7, go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, enable fastest xmp profile, then save and exit.

Optional: disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled). If gpu supports, why not XD

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.08.xx as the time i write this), then reboot.

• Install the latest nvidia driver, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png
I have seen you post this somewhere else before and I actually followed the steps. Sadly, it did not work. I'm really stumped to be honest.

Sep 20, 2022
You only have one memory stick.
Really bad for gaming.
Most likely cause for your stutters.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=924DNcai3Sk
Look, I really appreciae the video and Im not saying it's lying or you're lying. I have previously tested dual channel before and i've gotten the same results. Not even a bit of performance increase in the slightest. It was a corsair dual channel ddr4 at 3200 mhz, i think thats way more than enough to not cause stutters but still no difference

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had this issue myself where a game wasn't utilizing the GPU (only 30-50%) and was limiting the FPS as a result. What I discovered was to disable Low Latency Mode in the Nvidia Control Panel under "Manage 3D Settings." That immediately solved my problem and the game ran as it should have.

Sep 20, 2022
I had this issue myself where a game wasn't utilizing the GPU (only 30-50%) and was limiting the FPS as a result. What I discovered was to disable Low Latency Mode in the Nvidia Control Panel under "Manage 3D Settings." That immediately solved my problem and the game ran as it should have.

I never heard this before, I'll try that right now

Here are my results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/55413527

Also, I hate to judge, but is UBM sort of inaccurate? I mean I do have Superposition which as you'll see in the results seem to perform really well. Which stumps me so much. It scores really good on benchmarks but on games it an actual nightmare.

Here, I am not sure if this will work, but here is a really good example on what I get on games:
file:///C:/Users/buddh/Videos/Fortnite/Fortnite%202022.09.20%20-%2017.37.35.02.DVR.mp4
When you run UBM it's best to

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.

If you run it with other stuff running the numbers get a little wacky.

Run UBM proper and post a link.

Sep 20, 2022

No, sorry, that didn't work for me at al. I dont know its like my gpu wont utilize for less demanding games?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
No, sorry, that didn't work for me at al. I dont know its like my gpu wont utilize for less demanding games?
Single channel memory kills performance on AMD processors. It's not even running at the memory speck speed then you add single stick performance compared to dual channel.

Your video card can only display what is passed down to it from the processor.

A lot of the less demanding games are more dependent on single core speed, again the memory speed hurting the performance along with the single core performance of the processor.

Also yes Userbenchmark is more or less just junk it will just give obvious problems like cpu not boosting as it should or incorrect memory speed.

Sep 20, 2022
Single channel memory kills performance on AMD processors. It's not even running at the memory speck speed then you add single stick performance compared to dual channel.

Your video card can only display what is passed down to it from the processor.

A lot of the less demanding games are more dependent on single core speed, again the memory speed hurting the performance along with the single core performance of the processor.

Also yes Userbenchmark is more or less just junk it will just give obvious problems like cpu not boosting as it should or incorrect memory speed.

I used superposition and the results fall in line to similar systems, it performs well in benchmarks i think, but thats only benchmarks. its like my pc doesnt take games serious;y and doesnt get utilized.