[SOLVED] High GPU temperature after replacing heat sink of HP Omen 15 - dc1058wm

Dec 9, 2020
While gaming, I had a problem of overheating CPU. It went around 97 degree Celsius. Also, GPU temperature went to a max 80 - 85 degree Celsius. Problem of CPU overheating was fixed today after replacing the complete heat sink (thermal sink) by HP Service Man officially.
But, after replacing the heat sink (thermal sink) officially, I am getting a GPU temperature above 92 degree Celsius which eventually lowers the FPS to around 30 which was 150+ before.

Before replacing: CPU - 97 degree celsius, GPU - 74 degree celsius

After replacing: CPU - 67 degree celsius, GPU - 92 degree celsius

( NOTE: I've updated all the drivers. )

Is there a problem with the thermal paste? Or is there a problem with the way heat sink was placed? Or is it something else?
What should I do?

Solution
Hey there,

Is this your model? OMEN by HP 15-dc1058wm Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Does your laptop come with a discrete GPU, like Nvidia?

I've a very similar laptop, mine is the Omen 15 dc 1024na.

First things first. Nearly all gaming laptops will get hot. Some more than others, but most will be very close to each other, and maybe just 5c apart in thermal performance. Depending on what task, the CPU can get particularly hot. In gaming for example if I'm playing BF V for an hour the CPU will be hovering between 80-85c depending on the map (64 multiplayer) not undervolted. They do get hot. What were you doing when the temps got that high. You can reduce the CPU temps by undervolting. Undervolting can reduce...
Hey there,

Is this your model? OMEN by HP 15-dc1058wm Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Does your laptop come with a discrete GPU, like Nvidia?

I've a very similar laptop, mine is the Omen 15 dc 1024na.

First things first. Nearly all gaming laptops will get hot. Some more than others, but most will be very close to each other, and maybe just 5c apart in thermal performance. Depending on what task, the CPU can get particularly hot. In gaming for example if I'm playing BF V for an hour the CPU will be hovering between 80-85c depending on the map (64 multiplayer) not undervolted. They do get hot. What were you doing when the temps got that high. You can reduce the CPU temps by undervolting. Undervolting can reduce temps bigtime, as much as 10c. I have mine undervolted so now my temps are in the 65-75c range. You can look into it.

For the GPU, it too gets hot, but really shouldn't be above 80c. Mine ticks along at 1750mhz-1850mhz at about 70c playing BF V. That's prob the most demanding game I play. But my GPU is a GTX1660ti.

Do you have the omen command centre/gaming hub? If so, the performance settings opens the CPU up to run at full all core speed of 4ghz with no thermal restrictions. When you run in that mode, CPU will get super hot, and fans will spin like crazy. But you hit a solid 4ghz for fastest gaming.

Try the different modes. If you use default for example, then your CPU will throttle back to 3.2ghz if it gets too hot, which might be why your FPS are dropping so much.

Last edited:
Solution