Question high GPU temperature while gaming rtx 3080

Apr 1, 2023
Hey guys i recently bought a graphics card from a miner i have replaced the thermal paste from the GPU but not the thermal pads, when idle it has a temperature of about 30 to 35 degree Celsius while gaming it reaches as high as 85 to almost 90 degree Celsius the fans spin loud as well, i wanted to ask if this temperature is normal or high and what should i do if its high should i get a refund?

My specs are
I7-10700F processor
16GB RAM (2x8)
750 deep cool PSU
ASUS TUF B460M PLUS MOBO

any assistance would be much appreciated thanks

Apr 1, 2023
What case do you have and how are the fans arranged?
My case is ASUS TUF gt301
I have nothing special just a stock cooler for the processor and 1 fan behind the processor cooler it was no issue with the previous graphics card but that one was very old (1050ti)
My PSU is on the lowerside of my case

Apr 1, 2023
So initial assessment is that's on the higher side and adjusting the fan speeds should be the first thing to do. You can try one of these https://www.makeuseof.com/best-gpu-overclocking-tools/ for the video card, but first one I would try is MSI Afterburner. You'd have to go into UEFI settings to tweak the case fans unless they're on separate controller.
Thanks for the help i have tried under volting the gpu but it had no effect on the GPU i tried raising the fan levels from the bios but still the temperature remains same i have set the temp level to 80 using the after burner and i have tested games such as Last of us and Hogwarts legacy it seems to be running fine but i am still worried about the long term use of this is it better if i refund the graphics card? i have gotten the card at very good price compared to the 2nd hand market

My case is ASUS TUF gt301
I have nothing special just a stock cooler for the processor and 1 fan behind the processor cooler it was no issue with the previous graphics card but that one was very old (1050ti)
My PSU is on the lowerside of my case
You have 2 intake fans at the front and 1 exhaust at the back? What happens to the gpu temperature if you run with the side panel off?

I have a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC, it usually runs at 67-72c while gaming depending on ambient temperature. My case has the option to add fans to the bottom, underneath the front of the gpu. Doing this as intake fans dropped the temperature by 4-5c, I know you cannot do this but it does suggest my 3080 is sensitive to airflow.

Last edited:
Reactions: bookie4887
Apr 1, 2023
You have 2 intake fans at the front and 1 exhaust at the back? What happens to the gpu temperature if you run with the side panel off?

I have a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC, it usually runs at 67-72c while gaming depending on ambient temperature. My case has the option to add fans to the bottom, underneath the front of the gpu. Doing this as intake fans dropped the temperature by 4-5c, I know you cannot do this but it does suggest my 3080 is sensitive to airflow.
I have the exact same card the temperature unfortunately remains the same i think the graphics card has been used and abused roughly by the miner but i dont understand when on idle it remains on a normal 30 to 35 but when gaming it reaches as high as 90 perhaps i have not applied the paste well? i am an amateur when it comes to this should i return the graphics card to the seller?

I have the exact same card the temperature unfortunately remains the same i think the graphics card has been used and abused roughly by the miner but i dont understand when on idle it remains on a normal 30 to 35 but when gaming it reaches as high as 90 perhaps i have not applied the paste well? i am an amateur when it comes to this should i return the graphics card to the seller?
As you have taken the card apart and repasted I don’t think it would be right to return it. If you were going to return it that should have been before taking it apart on the basis it did not perform as expected. If this was a new card what you did would have voided the warranty. I would be trying to repaste again but I am no expert in doing this on gpu’s.

Reactions: bookie4887
Apr 1, 2023
As you have taken the card apart and repasted I don’t think it would be right to return it. If you were going to return it that should have been before taking it apart on the basis it did not perform as expected. If this was a new card what you did would have voided the warranty. I would be trying to repaste again but I am no expert in doing this on gpu’s.
Very well i will take it to my local shop and ask the computer expert to apply the paste and clean it as well i will also inform the seller about my actions he told me that he used it for about 7 to 8 months on mining when i removed the paste it was very dry i will update if i see any improvements thank you for your suggestion