[SOLVED] High gpu usage, low fps

Jun 29, 2020
I got a laptop for my birthday a year ago, don't know the exact model of it, but it's a ROG with a 4 GB GTX 1050, a Core i5 and 8 gigs of RAM. Also came with a 1 TB HDD. It's been doing a good job while gaming, but recently I encountered an issue in which a failing hard drive forced my laptop to be unable to boot. The morning after, it booted successfully after I took out and reinstalled the HDD. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 after. Anyways, it was running normally for a few days until my games started lagging- and I mean really lag, the fps on CSGO would go from a stable 160-190 all the way down to a 40, with a side dish of immense input lag as well.

After a few hours of trying to solve this issue, I used the MSI afterburner overlay to monitor my game. I noticed that whenever my frames dropped, the GPU usage would spike all the way up to 90%. Pretty odd if you ask me. It's not an issue with just steam games either, I tested out Overwatch and the issue persisted. I've run multiple Novabench tests, and they all came out rather regular- nothing out of the ordinary, my GPU/CPU score was normal, and the fps on the video test wasn't fluctuating either. Don't know what's causing this, but it's starting to get really unbearable. I really would rather avoid changing anything in the laptop's components, but if it's necessary then there's really no other option.

Edit: I noticed that my novabench test scores came out with 0 GFLOPS under its fps counter. Is that normal?

Last edited:
Solution
Sounds like you burnt out the HDD. I'll never understand the need to game on a laptop. those things heat up way too fast and stay relatively high for a long time. causing all components to suffer. it may need to be cleaned up too, to remove any and all dust and debris that may be inside. Replacing your HDD sounds like the solution to your issue

Ferimer

Distinguished
Sounds like you burnt out the HDD. I'll never understand the need to game on a laptop. those things heat up way too fast and stay relatively high for a long time. causing all components to suffer. it may need to be cleaned up too, to remove any and all dust and debris that may be inside. Replacing your HDD sounds like the solution to your issue

Solution

TRENDING THREADS