Question High latency between Computer and Router

Jun 18, 2020
Hi,

I am curious if someone could suggest possible causes, course of action to identify problem, and solution (maybe my router is just on the fritz)..

So I was having issues with CSGO feeling like things weren't registering well. I didn't have any dropped packets, but my ping historgram seemed off.

0-25: 139990, 99%
25-50: 766, 1%
25-75: 35, 0%
75-100: 53, 0%
100-150: 55, 0%
150-200: 139, 0%
200-300: 332, 0%

I find it strange that I have so many high latency packets.
I then tested my router connection by directly pinging my router in idle state.
500 sent and I don't know a handful were around 30ish ms ping to the router.
I just checked again, and the issue doesn't seem constant.
However, this seems be recurring, but this was the first time I looked at data after the game.

Maybe related:
There is another issue with my router is that occasionally I get this symbol in the corner of my computer that I think just means no internet connection (The world with lines through it, not the computer icon with a yellow exclaim sign). When I ping my router in that moment, I get this message "ping transmit failed general failure". Restarted the router fixes it. Google told me that was some issue with choosing IP4/IP6. I tried disabling IPv6 but still have latency issues from PC to Router (30 ms ping? ever?)

Router
Linksys E4200 Firmware 1.0.06
Connected via CatE5 cable to router
(Devices on network- Raspberry pi, GF's computer, both wired and sometimse our firestick)

PC:
i7-2600k (she's old but beautiful)
Asus P67 Sabertooth
(Onboard ethernet) Intel® 82579 Gigabit LAN- Dual interconnect between the Integrated LAN controller and Physical Layer (PHY)
Windows 10
Anything else relevant?

Thanks

It is strange to see high latency but no packet loss. The cable itself if it is bad causes packet loss. The transmission rate in a cable is at a fixed speed. Delays like this are because data is being held in a buffer. So either the router got the packet and delayed responding or it responded immediately and the PC held the response in a buffer but blamed its not reading the buffer on the network.

You could try to ping your other pc and see if it is different and/or if that pc has issues ping the router. If you really want to you can load wireshark on the other pc and then capture and actually see the timing of the packets.

You could check the drivers but intel ones are pretty stable.

Best first test is to boot a linux USB image. This will allow you to test without hurting your current windows install. This should quickly show you if it is some strange hardware issue or if it is some window setting.

Jun 18, 2020
haaaaa... I feel dumb. Why didn't I ping with my wife's computer earlier??????
It's been 30 seconds and I already had 4 ping packets with >10 ms ping.
She has none >1ms!

Now.. I already have wire shark.. what might I be looking for?
I guess I'll look for delayed packets, I don't know much about the software though.

I guess I'll do a few simple things first (try different cable, for example)
I can install a linux distro on my usb and boot it after that. If linux has an issue then it's hardware? If not, then it's software? This would be the idea I guess?

Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS