Question High Memory Usage all the time

Sm1L3ISTal

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016
I am experiencing very high memory usage on Windows 10 Build 19041, I have 16gb of ram and almost always memory usage is at around 85percent, even when I have almost nothing open. This began around a little less than two months ago, I at first believed it was a bug in windows so I wanted to update it but realized it doesn't want to let me download the may update so I just decided to reinstall windows and keep all programs and files. That didn't seem to fix anything and I am still experiencing high memory usage, I have tried uninstalling everything that I have installed since I recall having this issue. It doesn't seem to fix it, I do recall getting a Vive Cosmos around the time this started but I also uninstalled steam vr and the Vive software and that also didn't change anything. Anyone got any ideas as to what this could be, I understand it is probably a memory leak but what do I do to fix it, or at least detect what is causing it?

Thanks in advance

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC?

Do you get the usage in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

If you don't I could guess its a driver causing a memory leak. Updating motherboard drivers is normally a good place to start
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Sm1L3ISTal

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016

choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.

If you don't I could guess its a driver causing a memory leak. Updating motherboard drivers is normally a good place to start
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.
My specs are
CPU: i7 8700k
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming LGA 1151 (300 Series)
Ram: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHZ
PSU: CORSAIR CX Series CX650 650W
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
2NDStorage: TOSHIBA 3TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache
Both my drives are in the red and don't have much free space.
Not sure how to use Driver view. I did open it up, I am just not exactly sure what to do with what it shows me.

Sm1L3ISTal

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016

choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button

I also can't attach links because it tells me its like spam

Colif

Win 11 Master
wow, so many drivers. Alas you don't have some of the obvious ones that used to make spotting leaks easy.

did you try safe mode to see if it makes any difference? will tell me if its one of these drivers or not.
what BIOS version are you on? Newest is 2401 dated 18 Jul 2019
you should update Intel Management Engine Interface as version on website is newer than what you have (Its under chipset driver) - https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/
Daemon tools can cause errors, not sure about memory leaks though.

I assume glasswire is part of the VPN software
do you use WIFI or ethernet?
the Ethernet drivers are fairly new, the WIFI are from last year. I should be able to find newer realtek wifi drivers (Asus website shows it as Asus wifi, yet PC has realtek drivers installed. I expect its just a rebrand, Asus does that. ). ITs chipset is rtl8822be but I can't find anything newer than 2017 for it. which makes no sense as you have 2019 drivers installed.

scarlet crush (used for ps3/ps4 controllers) can cause BSOD but once again, not leaks as far as I can tell.
Try updating razer drivers, they from 2015

Sm1L3ISTal

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016
wow, so many drivers. Alas you don't have some of the obvious ones that used to make spotting leaks easy.

did you try safe mode to see if it makes any difference? will tell me if its one of these drivers or not.
what BIOS version are you on? Newest is 2401 dated 18 Jul 2019
you should update Intel Management Engine Interface as version on website is newer than what you have (Its under chipset driver) - https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/
Daemon tools can cause errors, not sure about memory leaks though.

I assume glasswire is part of the VPN software
do you use WIFI or ethernet?
the Ethernet drivers are fairly new, the WIFI are from last year. I should be able to find newer realtek wifi drivers (Asus website shows it as Asus wifi, yet PC has realtek drivers installed. I expect its just a rebrand, Asus does that. ). ITs chipset is rtl8822be but I can't find anything newer than 2017 for it. which makes no sense as you have 2019 drivers installed.

scarlet crush (used for ps3/ps4 controllers) can cause BSOD but once again, not leaks as far as I can tell.
Try updating razer drivers, they from 2015
Sorry for replying like 2 weeks late, in safe mode my ram usage is only like 1.5gb that's like 25 percent of what windows uses normally when I start it up, but I am guessing it is to be expected due to the fact that it doesn't start any programs and uses the basic drivers that come with windows. I use ethernet, and I am almost completely sure I installed the wifi drivers off the realtek website because the ASUS drivers were causing me issues with the wifi just deciding not to work for half a second every couple of minutes, the drivers that I got off the realtek website seemed to completely remove that issue if I remember correctly. and yes they are definitely rebranded because even before when I downloaded them off of the asus website, it was a realtek installer, and it said they were realtek. Also I seem to have fixed the memory leak issues, can't exactly remember what I did, but they did seem to stop, and now my paged and non paged pools don't seem to be exceeding 2 gb together.

TRENDING THREADS