High-Resolution Die Imagery Of Nvidia GPUs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]krzyinuyasha[/nom]"While gamers were torn between 3dfx's Voodoo/2 and TNT"Unless you were lucky enough to of owned both. One of my best early gaming rigs Contained:Asus P2BIntel PII-400768MB PC-13316MB TNT12MB Voodoo 28GB WD HDDSound Blaster Live!Creative 5x DVD and Dxr2 DecoderWin98SEThe most compatible and stable system (Hardware wise anyway) i ever owned and it still runs to this day. Makes me want to dig out my Mechwarrior 2: Titanium Collection and play it all over again.[/citation]

I loved the Mechwarrior series. They need to bring MW back in full force. So many classic good games.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Great compilation. I think it's been easy, given recent events, to forget the bigger picture. Just how much Nvidia has driven the industry foreword throughout its history of GPU engineering, and how much it continues to do so. Nvidia has a history of innovation dating back to the TNT series and following with the Geforce 256, Geforce 3, Geforce 6, Geforce 8, and now hopefully with the Geforce 400s. Even if these decisions haven't always brought back the most immediate returns in profit, they've almost always resulted in a long term technological edge to expand upon.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]I loved the Mechwarrior series. They need to bring MW back in full force. So many classic good games.[/citation]
We all miss MechWarrior. =(
I loved MW3, but didn't care much for MW4.
MechAssault sucked (lack of customization), and the only things to really compare to since then is Chrome Hounds & Armored Core.

Give me a full ouyt mech game (mix between Armroed Core and ChromeHounds), and I'll gladly drop $100 on it. =)

My first dedicated was a 7500LE. What a peice of crap that was. Before that it was always integrated. =)
7500LE.jpg

bilbat

Splendid
I can't remember exactly which one it was that cost me two weeks debugging of a forty-thousand line Vbasic comms program in an industrial plant, that finally turned out to be a known, but undocumented (and certainly the last place I'd have suspected!) nVidia driver problem with Excel, and caused me to swear off nVidia cards for nearly two decades...

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Hi five still got my 5500 and still in use.[/citation]
I still have a voodoo 5500 in the box barely used that a friend gave me. Dont have anything I can really use it in now though.

xonda

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
That's a very cool compilation.
Nvidia present a exponential evolution and contribution to computer graphics.
I just miss the mention to GPU computing with G92 (CUDA) and the so mistery RSX.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the chameleon demo you mentioned for the gforce one really the demo for the gforce 3? I thought the geforce one has just a reflective globe in a room or something...

ecka84

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
My last Nvidia card was GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128MB. It was one of the top tier back then (in 2002 if i'm right) till it died in about 10 month of use... and I replaced it with ATI Radeon 9600 which is in perfect health till present moment (7 years of hard work 16hours/day, not bad :p).
Now I'm waiting to see if Nvidia is going to release some new competitive and affordable cards that could be used in new system I'm planning to build this year.
The RED monster or the GREEN monster: that is the question :)

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Geforce 6600 had 128MB or 256MB, depending on the model. And the memory was a 128-bit interface. I had one with 128MB, and that's how I got into Call of Duty 2 - it played on decent settings.
But my very first video card was an SiS6326 PCI 4MB card. Wasn't much 3D you could do on that thing. I played Need for Speed High Stakes on it, 800x600 was too choppy so I'd play on 640x480 with mostly low-medium settings. If my dad had ponied up for the 8MB one, I'd probably have been able to play 800x600... but it was like a $70 difference at the time.

compninja7823

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
g92 representing! ^^ pny xlr8 ed. overclocked that beast and it still runs great, and it runs most games with no problems what-so-ever. i remember my first real graphics card. gefore 2 gts from a friend of my dads, that beast could just barely play half-life 2 with a 2.4GHZ P4. then i found a WORKING! geforce 4 4200 ti in the garbage!!! popped it in and my gaming career took off. p4 @ 2.4 - 1Gb micron D9's - geforce 4200 ti - asus mobo - win xp - ^^

MX440, died suddenly; replaced by an ATi 9250SE (which was killed by a power surge through a crappy PSU).
7600GT, afaik still alive and well in a machine I gave to my cousin.
6600GT, unsure of its fate, but the machine was destroyed by the last cheap PSU I ever bought so it surely died; lesson learned.
There's a 6600 alive in a [cardboard] box around here somewhere...
I've gone ATi since then though, and will resist returning at least until PhysX will run (without playing version games with drivers) if there is an ATi card present (cooperate, or die wriggling like one of those miserable plants outside Yak's Bend).

bungee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2001
6600 is 128bit width. I had a good 6600GT... but now I still have a 8800GTX an I don't miss my 6600! You talk of a good investment: 3 years and still running the best games.

krzyinuyasha

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
[citation][nom]dameon51[/nom]Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the chameleon demo you mentioned for the gforce one really the demo for the gforce 3? I thought the geforce one has just a reflective globe in a room or something...[/citation]

You are right the GeForce 3 (ah how you served me well for many years) had the chemeleon demo the GeForce 1 (AKA Geforce 256) had Bubble, Crystal Ball, and Grass demos (http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_nvidia.html). though who here remembers the Tree Demo of the TNT and how that was a jaw dropping demo for it's time.

[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Clever you DX and Glide gaming in the same box shame that you didn't have voodoo2 s in sli for higher res.[/citation]

>^___^< Yep it's why i did at the time cause some games i played used Glide and others used Direct3D and there was no set standard yet, though back then most were Glide since it had been the first to hit the market.

[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]I loved the Mechwarrior series. They need to bring MW back in full force. So many classic good games.[/citation]
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]We all miss MechWarrior. =(I loved MW3, but didn't care much for MW4.[/citation]

I agree I loved that Series and spent a lot of time online with Mechwarrior 3 even bought a Saitek x36 Gameport joystick set and later upgraded to a X45 set just for those games. Would love to see a 5th or even a remake of the 2nd into the current standards with DX10 or even DX11.

barmaley

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Would be cool to add to specs under those die shots the manufacturing technology used to produce that chip. It would show how large it was in the beginning and how small it has become now.

It's nice to see lillte articles like that every now and then. But not too often though! We are much more interested in new stuff! :)

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
My first 3D card was a Hercules stingray (voodoo rush chip, 4mb of edo ram), followed by the voodoo 3 3000 (16mb) which lasted longer than any other 3D card I've ever had... Then came the Radeon 7500 (64mb), Radeon 9800 pro (128mb)and finally the nvidia 8800 GTS (640mb) which has lasted me until last week, now its the 5850 to keeping me going into the distant future.

G

rambo117: "lol, I like how the GeForce 5 series was skipped"

And Riva 128!
Considering that's what started all this, its inclusion is essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.