[SOLVED] High stock voltage, too high temps normal load. I9 9900k Z390

PowahRanger

Reputable
Apr 11, 2016
Hello everyone,

I'm using a i9 9900K running stock. With a Corsair hydro h110i 240mm radiator on an Gigabyte Auorus Z390 Pro bios 5F.

When buying this CPU, I knew it would run hot. But after having done some research I found out that my Vcore on idle is around 1.36, and under load of playing e.g. GTA 5, it goes up to 1.44V. reading on the internet I understand that a voltage like this is WAY too high for stock. And I have been fighting my CPU temps for a while already. My idle temp is 36-41C, and if I don't use my full cooling capabilities it goes up to 85-90C whilst playing GTA 5. And I'm not particularly enjoying being next to an airplane in the summer blowing nice warm air like a heater.

I have replaced my thermal paste but it didn't change anything. I tried setting my vcore to 1.2 and 1.25 but my windows won't even boot then.

Is there anything I can do to make it run cooler without down locking?

Solution
1 fan at the back pulling in, 2 fans in the front pulling in, and 2 on my radiator pulling out. Airflow should be good. Case is relatively open and GPU (1070) never goes above 55C even when on a decent load.

I have been thinking of buying a new case with more space for ventilation, I have plenty of fans laying around anyways. Do have to note here that my previous CPU, 4790K ran overclocked at 4.5Ghz and never went above 65C

Putting my Vcore at 1.35V Manual Decreases my peak temperature from 85C to 72C... wow. Average temps under load went from 60-75 to 45-63. Already pretty incredible.

I am at version 5f at the moment, I havent flashed it as normally I only do this when I really need to. But I guess I could give it a go...
The 9900k is a very hot CPU. If it is the summer, then that is going to make it even hotter, as the ambient temperature is higher. Your idle temperature looks about right, but load temps are a little bit high. Try setting vcore to 1.36, seeming as it boots like this, then see if it lasts in load. If not, raise it by .1 until it gets stable.
Also, how is the airflow in your PC? Do you have any extra case fans etc? If not, you will probably have to look into getting a couple.

PowahRanger

Reputable
Apr 11, 2016
The 9900k is a very hot CPU. If it is the summer, then that is going to make it even hotter, as the ambient temperature is higher. Your idle temperature looks about right, but load temps are a little bit high. Try setting vcore to 1.36, seeming as it boots like this, then see if it lasts in load. If not, raise it by .1 until it gets stable.
Also, how is the airflow in your PC? Do you have any extra case fans etc? If not, you will probably have to look into getting a couple.

1 fan at the back pulling in, 2 fans in the front pulling in, and 2 on my radiator pulling out. Airflow should be good. Case is relatively open and GPU (1070) never goes above 55C even when on a decent load.

I have been thinking of buying a new case with more space for ventilation, I have plenty of fans laying around anyways. Do have to note here that my previous CPU, 4790K ran overclocked at 4.5Ghz and never went above 65C

Putting my Vcore at 1.35V Manual Decreases my peak temperature from 85C to 72C... wow. Average temps under load went from 60-75 to 45-63. Already pretty incredible.

Is your bios updated? There might be voltage improvements baked into the revision.

I am at version 5f at the moment, I havent flashed it as normally I only do this when I really need to. But I guess I could give it a go tomorrow or later this evening. I will keep you posted.

I am at version 5f at the moment, I havent flashed it as normally I only do this when I really need to. But I guess I could give it a go tomorrow or later this evening. I will keep you posted.
That mentality regarding bios updating is only applicable to very old systems that are no longer under warranty. Always update your bios after building.

Solution

PowahRanger

Reputable
Apr 11, 2016
That mentality regarding bios updating is only applicable to very old systems that are no longer under warranty. Always update your bios after building.
Even on the manufacturer's website it says to only flash bios when you really have to, kind of misleading really.

I just updated from F5 to F10 and ... well.. my idle temp is around 30C now, even hit 28's. Playing GTA 5 is running at an average of 55 degrees now! Vcore max was 1.32V, previously 1.46V. -0.14 on default settings. I'm going to enjoy my summer weekends now!

Pretty much problem solved as far as I'm concerned. Wise lesson learned. Thank you all for helping and pointing out the kind of obvious.

Reactions: SgtScream