Question High Temps (9600k) ?

Indivision

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
I recently built my new custom loop build, and of course I did overclock my cpu but I am not sure if my temperatures are good for what I have, at the moment I think might be issue with the thermal paste, and i Will check this as also delid the cpu and place full silver or full copper IHS?

So I did OC my 9600k to 5.1 GHZ stable with 1.36V , also my VCCSA agent and VCCIO are about 1.25 and 1.28. The current temps I have in Prime95 are max 85C, but when I game they reach 80-85 which i think is a bit too much for the cooling system I have , can you please advice me, maybe i did something wrong, or the temps are reasonable. Many Thanks.

I am also using Parallel loop

CPU: i5 - 9600k
MOBO: Asus maximus hero XI
RAM: T-Force 4000mhz (18-20-20-44)
GPU: MSI gtx 1080ti gaming X - 2070Mhz clock and +500Mhz memory - temps never exceed 49C
RAD1: EK PE360
RAD2: EKPE240
FANS: Corsair 6x LL120
Block1: EK Velocity full nickel
BLock2: Phanteks glacier
PSU: Corsair hx1000i Plattinum

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, running the memory pretty hard. But 1.36V isn't too high.

Even the best cooling struggles with these tiny chips to be honest. Plenty of cooling, just not enough surface area. GPU pumping out 2 or 3 times the power, but it is also 3 or 4 times the size.

If you haven't de-lidded and/or used liquid metal that is the next step. You could also look into lapping the IHS and possibly your CPU block depending on how flat you think they are.

For reference. i7-7700k 1.416 volts, delidded and re-applied with ThermalGrizzly Kryonaut (Not conductonaut). Swiftech Apogee XL (going from memory on that one, pretty sure that is the model) Two 280mm and a GTX1080 with a XSPC Razor full coverage block. CPU still reaches 81C spikes.

Indivision

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
Hmm, running the memory pretty hard. But 1.36V isn't too high.

Even the best cooling struggles with these tiny chips to be honest. Plenty of cooling, just not enough surface area. GPU pumping out 2 or 3 times the power, but it is also 3 or 4 times the size.

If you haven't de-lidded and/or used liquid metal that is the next step. You could also look into lapping the IHS and possibly your CPU block depending on how flat you think they are.

For reference. i7-7700k 1.416 volts, delidded and re-applied with ThermalGrizzly Kryonaut (Not conductonaut). Swiftech Apogee XL (going from memory on that one, pretty sure that is the model) Two 280mm and a GTX1080 with a XSPC Razor full coverage block. CPU still reaches 81C spikes.

New OC settings i re configured were

VCCIO - 1.1
VCCSA - 1.15
Vcore - 1.29
Disabled few other settings, like intel speedstep and speedshift, and boom 75C in prime 95 and 40-60 in all kind of games, from LOL to Battlefront 2 and others. I think i hit the silicon lottery with this cpu 5.1 ghz 1.29V , also my GPU went to 2122mhz with max temps of 52C but then it gave me shader error in some games so i lowered it back 2070 and it works perfectly fine. In games like battlefront 2 i got like 180-200 fps on 2560x1080p , now im getting 3440x1440, on rendering scale 150 % I got 100-130fps which i think is not a bad results. I might try lowered it even to 1.28V but i didnt had more time

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That looks good. Probably just local heating was a bit too much at 1.36 volts. Why I had to de-lid I was sitting in the mid to high 80s and one core was leading the pack by almost 7C. Just delidding and putting it back on dropped 5C from the highs and brought my errant core down to only a 3-4C difference with the others.

Not sure about the lottery. I haven't been looking at user generated charts for clock/voltage for Coffeelake. I know 5.0 and 5.1 Ghz are considered fairly easy to get to with water cooling though. Certainly binned chips from silicon lottery that can go higher.

My Kabylake sample is not the best for voltage and temps, but very stable, so don't look at that too hard. Wasn't too lucky on Haswell either. Merely average both times, maybe a little less on Kabylake. Probably hold out for 10nm/7nm parts before I consider an upgrade.

Indivision

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
That looks good. Probably just local heating was a bit too much at 1.36 volts. Why I had to de-lid I was sitting in the mid to high 80s and one core was leading the pack by almost 7C. Just delidding and putting it back on dropped 5C from the highs and brought my errant core down to only a 3-4C difference with the others.

Not sure about the lottery. I haven't been looking at user generated charts for clock/voltage for Coffeelake. I know 5.0 and 5.1 Ghz are considered fairly easy to get to with water cooling though. Certainly binned chips from silicon lottery that can go higher.

My Kabylake sample is not the best for voltage and temps, but very stable, so don't look at that too hard. Wasn't too lucky on Haswell either. Merely average both times, maybe a little less on Kabylake. Probably hold out for 10nm/7nm parts before I consider an upgrade.

Let me tell you a secret :p , Silicon lottery also means lower voltage for high frequency, also if 9600k with boost clock 4.6ghz can hit 5.1 there is 85% chance to be able to go up to 5.2 , then 55-60% to go up to 5.3, I am able to reach even 5.4 but on what cost, at the moment the voltage i need to increase ts not recommended for this chip, doesn't matter what I will do as cooling solution. So I think keeping it 1.3 for 5.1 ghz is not that bad, I currently dont exceed 57C in gaming.

I’ve seen a few reviews now where the top of Intel cpu’s are not perfectly flat and people have taken to lapping them. The difference in the reviews I saw were equally or even more significant than de-lidding. De-lidding isn’t going to help if the cpu isn’t making very good contact with the cooler. Seems Intels quality control has slipped in this aspect.