[SOLVED] High Temps with AIO cooler

Feb 20, 2021
Hi,

I just built a new computer and I have noticed that my CPU temps are getting to around 85c while playing games while using an AIO CPU cooler (some cores peaking at 88c), and the PC has randomly shut off, I'm assuming due to the high temps.
Idle temps sit around 40c and current ambient temperature is 19c.

I did have XMP enabled but due to crashing I have disabled XMP, computer runs more stable but still gets hot and sometime shuts off.

all fans are running and I can feel the water going through the tubes.

System Spec:
Mobo: ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-PLUS
Cooler: MSI CORELIQUID 240R
CPU: Intel i9-10850k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance PRO DDR4 16GB 3600Mhz | 2*8GB (Slots A2, B2)
GPU: Gigabyte AORUS 1080ti Xtreme Edition 11GB
PSU: CS650M 80+ GOLD 650W

Solution
D
You should probbably switch to an 360mm aio cooler becasue this cpu has a hig heat output and your current aio cooler cant handle this much heat

Agreed.

I went with the 240mm as my case won't fit a 360mm rad, I am planning on buying a new case so maybe I will upgrade the cooler then. I didn't think 240mm would be problem, my last CPU (i7 3770K) ran on a stock intel cooler and I never had thermal problems.

The 10850k consumes a lot more power than the 3770k. 240mm doesn't cut it for these CPUs. To borrow a phrase from @CompuTronix "a 240mm AIO is inadequate for cooling a 10 Core 20 Thread high-end "K" processor which can consume over 250 Watts, especially when overclocked at high Core voltage. If you intend...

Crowii

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Do a check on your fan speed curves.

Check the thermal paste, and don't wipe it off instantly. If it's squeezed to one side/area, then it's an absolutely horrendous mount of the pump block. Then redo the thermal paste and mount it with even pressure, but not too much pressure.

Feb 20, 2021
You should probbably switch to an 360mm aio cooler becasue this cpu has a hig heat output and your current aio cooler cant handle this much heat

I went with the 240mm as my case won't fit a 360mm rad, I am planning on buying a new case so maybe I will upgrade the cooler then. I didn't think 240mm would be problem, my last CPU (i7 3770K) ran on a stock intel cooler and I never had thermal problems.

Feb 20, 2021
Do a check on your fan speed curves.

Check the thermal paste, and don't wipe it off instantly. If it's squeezed to one side/area, then it's an absolutely horrendous mount of the pump block. Then redo the thermal paste and mount it with even pressure, but not too much pressure.

Fan curves are default atm, I will look into that. also it might be possible I messed the thermal paste up when installed the AIO as I had never installed one before, I will try re seating the AIO block tomorrow to see if that helps. thanks for the response.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Agreed.

The 10850k consumes a lot more power than the 3770k. 240mm doesn't cut it for these CPUs. To borrow a phrase from @CompuTronix "a 240mm AIO is inadequate for cooling a 10 Core 20 Thread high-end "K" processor which can consume over 250 Watts, especially when overclocked at high Core voltage. If you intend to overclock, the 10900K demands a 360mm AIO or a custom loop in order to keep it cool."

I just built a 10900k system and everything I read said to go with a 360mm AIO because you can fry eggs on these CPUs.

So I did... and the 360mm keeps up just fine. I'd suggest upgrading the case and the AIO. I went with the Fractal Design Meshify 2 for my build... a case that scored in the best of 2020 list in multiple Gamer Nexus reviews. It has lots of room and 360mm AIO support at the top of the case.

Solution
Feb 20, 2021
Agreed.

The 10850k consumes a lot more power than the 3770k. 240mm doesn't cut it for these CPUs. To borrow a phrase from @CompuTronix "a 240mm AIO is inadequate for cooling a 10 Core 20 Thread high-end "K" processor which can consume over 250 Watts, especially when overclocked at high Core voltage. If you intend to overclock, the 10900K demands a 360mm AIO or a custom loop in order to keep it cool."

I just built a 10900k system and everything I read said to go with a 360mm AIO because you can fry eggs on these CPUs.

So I did... and the 360mm keeps up just fine. I'd suggest upgrading the case and the AIO. I went with the Fractal Design Meshify 2 for my build... a case that scored in the best of 2020 list in multiple Gamer Nexus reviews. It has lots of room and 360mm AIO support at the top of the case.

I guessed it would run hotter which why I went with an AIO, It seems I under estimated just how hot these actually get CPU's get.

I am thinking of going for a Phankek Enthoo Evolv X for my next case, any recommendations for 360mm AIO?

D

Deleted member 2838871

I guessed it would run hotter which why I went with an AIO, It seems I under estimated just how hot these actually get CPU's get.

I am thinking of going for a Phankek Enthoo Evolv X for my next case, any recommendations for 360mm AIO?

NZXT Kraken X73 = $179.99
NZXT Kraken Z73 = $279.99

AFAIK they are exactly the same cooler... the Z73 has a much more aesthetically pleasing display if you're like me and think it's cool to have CPU/GPU temp displays on your cooler. I paid the extra for it. No problems recommending these coolers... my previous build had the X62 280mm model for nearly 4 years with no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 20, 2021
NZXT Kraken X73 = $179.99
NZXT Kraken Z73 = $279.99

AFAIK they are exactly the same cooler... the Z73 has a much more aesthetically pleasing display if you're like me and think it's cool to have CPU/GPU temp displays on your cooler. I paid the extra for it. No problems recommending these coolers... my previous build had the X62 280mm model for nearly 4 years with no issues.

I do like the look of the NZXT AIO's, comes down to the choice of the temps displayed or the infinity mirror effect, I will keep this in mind, thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS