[SOLVED] Higher CPU temaarptures after cleaning PC

Apr 15, 2020
Hello,
I just cleaned my computer today with a bottle of compressed air. Before I cleaned it my CPU temperatures were highest at 60 when doing the stability test in AIDA64, now my temperatures are at 80 when doing the stability test in AIDA64. Anybody who knows what can have caused it. Please help me.

Solution
I might have moved the heatsink, will I then be needed to get new thermal paste?

And if I have dislodged some dust what should I do then?
When you dismount the HSF to replace the thermal paste peer through all the fins with a back-light and blow them out individually.

the same could be true with a radiator if you've liquid cooling...but how you do it depends entirely on your case arrangement.

EDIT add: and YES you will need new thermal compound to replace the old, dried compound!
Hello,
I just cleaned my computer today with a bottle of compressed air. Before I cleaned it my CPU temperatures were highest at 60 when doing the stability test in AIDA64, now my temperatures are at 80 when doing the stability test in AIDA64. Anybody who knows what can have caused it. Please help me.
did you spin-up the fans really fast in the blast of high-pressure air from the can? if so you could have blown the bearings in one (or more) so they're now not spinning so great.

you could have disconnected a fan connector

you could have moved the heatsink, even just slightly would crack old, dried and caked thermal compound so it's no longer passing the heat to the base of the heatsink

you could have dislodged (instead of completely removing) a big dust clog that was originally in a benign location and is now blocking airflow in a critical area. Like in a the CPU heatsink fins or radiator.

Apr 15, 2020
did you spin-up the fans really fast in the blast of high-pressure air from the can? if so you could have blown the bearings in one (or more) so they're now not spinning so great.

you could have disconnected a fan connector

you could have moved the heatsink, even just slightly would crack old, dried and caked thermal compound so it's no longer passing the heat to the base of the heatsink

you could have dislodged (instead of completely removing) a big dust clog that was originally in a benign location and is now blocking airflow in a critical area. Like in a the CPU heatsink fins or radiator.

Thanks,
I was holding the fans while cleaning so they were not able to spin and all fans are spinning fine after the cleaning.

I might have moved the heatsink, will I then be needed to get new thermal paste?

When you dismount the HSF to replace the thermal paste peer through all the fins with a back-light and blow them out individually.

the same could be true with a radiator if you've liquid cooling...but how you do it depends entirely on your case arrangement.

EDIT add: and YES you will need new thermal compound to replace the old, dried compound!

Last edited:
Solution