Higher rated power supply wasted?

northman11

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
I'm in the infancy stage of building a new gaming pc and I have a chance to pick up a SeaSonic Platinum SS-860XP2 860W for $100 which is a pretty good deal. I don't plan on overclocking and I will probably just run one GPU. Is this power supply overkill?

Solution
Without knowing the system specs I can't tell you if its overkill or not. If you are running a FX 9590 and a 390x then its not overkill. Overkill is not necessarily a bad thing. Over provisioning on a PSU with a hybrid fan will make it silent when idle and make very little to no noise when under load.
If you ever do SLI/Crossfire it will come in very handy. If you can't see yourself ever doing that, you're just wasting electricity - a 850W PSU at idle (which is the state the PC is in a most of the time, unless you're a pro gamer or doing folding/rendering etc) definitely consumes more electricity than a 500W PSU at idle (idle draw is typically well under 100W). Normally I recommend getting the smallest PSU possible that is capable of driving the PC under 100% load. 400-550W is usually where you end up for average usage scenarios.

bignastyid

Titan
Without knowing the system specs I can't tell you if its overkill or not. If you are running a FX 9590 and a 390x then its not overkill. Overkill is not necessarily a bad thing. Over provisioning on a PSU with a hybrid fan will make it silent when idle and make very little to no noise when under load.

Solution

Or a 295X2.

bignastyid

Titan

With a fx 9590 and a 295x2, 860w would be borderline insufficient(i'd suggest atleast 1000w unit for that setup). But atleast the room it was in would be nice and toasty :)