Highest Socket7 upgrade from P166 non-MMX?

Diesel

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi, just a quick question...
I'm on an old HP Pavilion 7270 and want to upgrade the Pentium 166, what's the fastest Pentium CPU that I can drop into this piece of crap Socket7 motherboard? This thing really is a piece, it's weird, all of the 6 ISA and 2 PCI slots are on this seperate little board that is layered on top of the main board... this causes another concern for me, the processor only has this thin little heatsink w/ no fan... i dont think a fan could even fit between the CPU and the ISA/PCI board... could this possibly limit me in processor speed, say, if the fastest socket7 CPU requires a fan for cooling? thanks!

- Brian

Diesel

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Anybody?

The highest i can find on pricewatch is a Pentium® MMX 233MHz, is the fastest Socket7 Intel CPU available? Please do respond if you know... thanks again!

- Brian

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
at the least would be a Pentium 200 non MMX, at best a 233 MMX. Just depends on what the board was designed to take.

All Your Base Are Belong To Us!!

G

All AMD K6-2's and 3's will work in a socket 7

they will work
but...
they need a 100Mhz bus dont they?
hmmmm

G

If you are really lucky you can drop in a k6-2 or -3 and get it to run at 75x6 (450 MHz) or 66x6 (396 MHz). The trick is that all the newish AMD socket 7 processors convert multiplier x2 to x6. However, AMDs use 2.2 or 2.4 volts core, 3.3 V I/O, a fact that may force you to use mentioned Powerleap. Using bus speed less than 100 MHz slows down the performance quite a bit, however. I would probably go for a newer system if possible.

Would your bios support K6 family? That's a hard question.

About voltages: Even the MMX Pentiums need split voltage, 2.8/3.3, so you're out of luck even with those if your m/b cannot do split voltage.

Sami

G

You must be careful if you try to use a K6-2 CPU, as these require dual voltage as apposed to Pentium single voltage CPU’s of your motherboards era. I’d say that your motherboard being pre MMX would only offer single voltage. As Priit stated you would probably need a voltage/multiplier converter see tom’s article (Socket 5 - Tuning Old PC Systems). After this from what you described of your system I doubt if you would have enough room for a fanless heat sink let alone a fanned one (a K6-2 needs a fan). Stick with the fastest Pentium CPU you can find or upgrade your motherboard to a more advanced socket 7.