Build Advice Highish-end gaming PC build, looking for feedback on parts

Jul 4, 2023
(EDIT: Updated parts list)

Hi! I'm incredibly new to computer hardware and this is my first time building a PC; I've been gaming on a MacBook Air for about seven years now (pity the poor laptop, it's been through a lot) and have finally got the income to devote money to a relatively high-end gaming PC setup. I've added my current parts list below the template, this is only the second iteration and I'm coming from zero background knowledge so please lay the constructive criticism on me (kindly). I also haven't made any choices as far as the case goes yet, so if you have recommendations for that I'll take those too!

Approximate Purchase Date: In the next two months

Budget Range: $3000 AUD (~$2000USD)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (intending to play pretty graphics-heavy games, like cyberpunk), Discord calls, video streaming, software development, potentially some game dev down the line.

Are you buying a monitor: Not yet, I currently have a 1440p monitor. Though I'd like this PC to be capable of supporting 4K gaming (or close to it) as I'll be upgrading to 4K within a couple years.

Parts to Upgrade: Entirely new build, currently have no parts beyond the monitor.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes (included in parts list below)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference, though I need retailers available in Australia. A few options would be Amazon, Umart, PLE Computers, Skycomp Technology, JW, and Scorptec.

Location: City - Adelaide, State - South Australia, Country - Australia

Parts Preferences: I'd prefer AMD, just because that's what I've done the most research into.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 2560 x 1400

Additional Comments: I'd like to be able to play games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk, Minecraft and Sims 4 with high graphics settings (and shaders for the latter two). I don't play online competitive FPS games, so uber-high framerate isn't my priority as long as it's not noticeably chugging, I want a really good quality picture for immersive gaming. I like to play games while on calls with people and with browsers and such open as well, so it should be able to handle that too. I'm not hugely concerned about appearance as this won't be sitting up on my desk, but a couple aRGB parts would be cool! Parts-wise, I've already downgraded my motherboard and slightly upgraded my RAM and SSD in response to other feedback, and I think I'm relatively set on a Radeon RX 7900XTX GPU but open to other brands at a similar price point.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Don't currently have a PC and want to have one for gaming and general-use.

Parts List:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE WHITE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP33 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card
Power Supply: Gigabyte UD850GM 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit

Last edited:
The X3D versions of the processors are optimized for playing a single game.
If you will do anything else at the same time, you will be better off with a normal version of the processor.

On your selected gpu, it requires 3 8 pin power connectors.
I think I might go stronger to 950w, and also to a psu with a better warranty. 7-10 years.
Corsair RMx or Seasonic Focus/prime

Jul 4, 2023
The X3D versions of the processors are optimized for playing a single game.
If you will do anything else at the same time, you will be better off with a normal version of the processor.

On your selected gpu, it requires 3 8 pin power connectors.
I think I might go stronger to 950w, and also to a psu with a better warranty. 7-10 years.
Corsair RMx or Seasonic Focus/prime

I'll have a look at the normal version as well, thanks! For the psu, the place I'm getting it from gives it a 10-year warranty, but I'll definitely investigate 950W options. With the GPU comment, I don't quite understand what you mean by that - is that an issue with my power supply, or my motherboard?

If a graphics card needs 3 8 pin power connectors it needs them.
Modern cards tend to have much higher than nominal power demand peaks so a more capable power supply can handle them.
As to the 10 year warranty, that is only as good as the store behind it.
I find that if a manufacturer offers a 10 year warranty, you are pretty much assured of getting a top quality psu.

tweaked the build a little bit:

cheaper rams, cooler & better ssd and PSU:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($718.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING SE-226-XT 68.2 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.00 @ PLE Computers)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($279.00 @ Centre Com)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($168.46 @ Amazon Australia)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($174.63 @ Amazon Australia)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card ($1439.00 @ MSY Technology)
Case: Deepcool CC560 ATX Mid Tower Case ($77.00 @ Skycomp Technology)
Power Supply: NZXT C1000 (2022) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($224.10 @ JW Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($140.00 @ MSY Technology)
Total: $3299.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-05 23:12 AEST+1000

TRENDING THREADS