Sheikh Tashdeed Ahmed

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2016
Hi everyone. My question is in the topic in tl;dr.

As much as I understand after reading about the benefits of a DRAM chip in an SSD, it helps to provide a map to the SSD of where some recent information is located for the SSD to quickly identify that file location and immediately get to it saving time and effort to search for that file. This not only helps the user to save his time but also stresses the SSD less and so the longevity of the SSD can be prolonged/maintained.
Does the HMB in SSDs help in the same way?

Because the DRAM chip adds to the SSD's manufacturing cost, many companies right now in the budget segment have implemented an HMB technology in which the micro controller of an SSD directs the RAM of the entire computer to store some of the recent most read data on it which would otherwise have been kept in a DRAM chip on the SSD (which is not present in HMB powered SSDs). How much of the desktop RAM is allocated for the HMB caching? Does anybody know? Also, because this also keeps the recent most read data on another storage device (RAM) to be accessed/mapped quickly without too much SSD searching, shouldn't an HMB technology also save the SSD time and stress when the user asks for the same files? In theory, it seems it does, but can anybody who knows this confirm this issue? SSD durability/longevity is extremely important to me is why I ask this question. Please correct me if I am wrong anywhere. I really want to know so that I can decide on my next SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
There are 2 considerations to ensure drive longevity and reliability:

1. Buy from a known manufacturer and retailer that will stand by an actual warranty.

2. An actual backup routine. Any and all drives, no matter from who, or with what technology, are subject to fail at any moment. All of them.
The data protection is all up to you.