Question home entertainment server and network.

Nov 7, 2023
When it comes to setting up an optimized network for a Plex home entertainment server, what considerations should be made regarding internet and network speed and what minimum speeds are recommended to ensure smooth streaming and playback of media content?

are there any pitfalls that i should worry about?

i have 250 mbs inn and 50 mbs out.

kanewolf

Titan
When it comes to setting up an optimized network for a Plex home entertainment server, what considerations should be made regarding internet and network speed and what minimum speeds are recommended to ensure smooth streaming and playback of media content?

are there any pitfalls that i should worry about?

i have 250 mbs inn and 50 mbs out.
Is this Plex server intended to serve TVs and tablets in the house or to serve devices on the internet?

kanewolf

Titan
mostly at home but id like to use it while im out traveling through work also.
At home, there won't be any issues, because wired networks are all gigabit. Put ALL stationary devices on a wired network. PC, server, TVs, game consoles, etc ALL on a wired connection. That will allow WIFI to be used by handheld devices.
Outside of your LAN, you are limited by your upload bandwidth, and you probably don't want to use more than 1/2 (assuming there are other people in the house).
What are the bitrates of the media you are trying to play ?