gordonfreemanjr

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
I need an advice.

I want to build a small device dedicated fully to playing music from my external drive digital collection. Here’s what I need from it:

• ability to connect wirelessly to a Samsung Soundbar OR via wires to a pair of stand-alone speakers
  • ability to run Ubuntu to access my favorite music playing app (Strawberry)
  • a visual indicator, monitor or display

Obviously a laptop is just too much of a hassle. I was thinking a small tablet, but I’ve never used Android and to be honest do prefer to stay with Linux. The other thought was a Raspberry Pi, but a Pi (I got one already) needs a TV or a monitor for display, and I’d like my TV to be independent from my musak.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Solution
Looking at the screenshots of that app, it needs quite many pixels in order to operate properly, so 10" screen is not too big for it. And you can build an RPi around off-the-shelf 10" HDMI monitor. I would also have a look at small laptops of this size.

"Wireless connect to Samsung Soundbar" - what is the connection medium (WiFi / Bluetooth)?
Looking at the screenshots of that app, it needs quite many pixels in order to operate properly, so 10" screen is not too big for it. And you can build an RPi around off-the-shelf 10" HDMI monitor. I would also have a look at small laptops of this size.

"Wireless connect to Samsung Soundbar" - what is the connection medium (WiFi / Bluetooth)?

Reactions: gordonfreemanjr
Solution

gordonfreemanjr

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019

Thanks for the reply. Yes, Strawberry is an eye candy. What can I do - I like pretty apps.

The soundbar connection is Bluetooth.