[SOLVED] Home WiFi connection problem

Sep 21, 2020
Hey guys, i have a problem with internet connection. I am not a networking master so forgive my poor knowledge.

Basically i have a connection that looks like this:

( First Room ) ( Second Room )
[Modem] <-> [Switch] <-----------> [WiFi Router] <-> [PC etc...]
and i experienced some issues...

All connections are connected with RJ45.
I plugged cable from Switch into the WiFi Router WAN port.
I have connected other devices to WiFi Router LAN ports.

First of all the internet connection on the PC is very poor. Download sped is like 8Mbit/s.
Another thing is i can not reach every website(?)
WiFi Router internet connection diode is orange.

If i skip the WiFi Router:
( First Room ) ( Second Room)
[Modem] <-> [Switch] <-----------> [PC]
Speed jumps to 96Mbit/s. I assume that speed is a router issue and i just have to replace it with better one, but i have to be sure.

I tried a different configuration, without Switch:
( First Room ) (Second Room)
[Modem] <-> [WiFi Router] <-----------> [PC etc...]
All works, WiFi Router diode is green, but poor speed and no ports in Second Room

What i would like to achieve is:
( First Room ) ( Second Room )
[Modem] <-> [STH] <-----------> [WiFi Router] <-> [PC etc...]

Can you guys help? Many thanks for any advice

Solution
@yarrick12345
From your description, it certainly sounds like there is an issue with the WiFi router. I doubt that it is "broken", but instead I think there is something wrong with the configuration. You may want to do a factory reset on it and redo the settings.

The WiFi router LED changing from orange to green when plug via the switch or not is also a possible concern, but without know the brand and model of the any the equipment it's hard to know what that is indicating.

Why are you using the switch in room 1 anyway? A long Ethernet cable from the modem (or is it a modem/router) to the router would be my choice.

Sep 21, 2020
Ofc, i am sorry that i did not specify earlier. Got mad and wrote here without reading pinned posts :p
Router: tp-link wr841n
Switch: TL-SG108

@yarrick12345
From your description, it certainly sounds like there is an issue with the WiFi router. I doubt that it is "broken", but instead I think there is something wrong with the configuration. You may want to do a factory reset on it and redo the settings.

The WiFi router LED changing from orange to green when plug via the switch or not is also a possible concern, but without know the brand and model of the any the equipment it's hard to know what that is indicating.

Why are you using the switch in room 1 anyway? A long Ethernet cable from the modem (or is it a modem/router) to the router would be my choice.

I did factory reset twice.

I need something to connect two RJ45s. I bought switch because i heard switch is the best for this.
The reason why i need to do that is i have a cable that is going from modem in yet another room, through the wall into the First Room. Cable ends there and is too short reach Second Room. Can not replace it with longer, because i would need to drill in the wall.

Unfortunately, yes

I'm starting to wonder if you have multiple issues.

1. Slow speeds when using the WiFi router. I'm still inclined to think this is a configuration issue, but it could a broken router.
  2. When the router is in room 2 you get an orange indicator light. This is an indication of no connection to the internet. So, one of your Ethernet lines (including the one in the wall) or the switch is not working properly.

Have you tried this configuration ... it would be more traditional

[Modem] <----> [WiFi Router] <-----------> [Switch]<-> [PC etc...]

kanewolf

Titan
Solution