Homeplugs and extension cables

Sep 2, 2018
I knew homeplugs worked best in main’s sockets and not on extension cables but BBC iplayer on my TV worked fine so I got a firestick to stream from my satellite box. Although iplayer on the firestick worked fine the streaming was terrible. Sure enough attaching them to mains's sockets cured the problem. However I do not have enough mains's sockets. Will Wall Adaptor Sockets (like a plug-in double or triple plug) work any better?

Not sure what you are asking. You are not trying to plug 2 powerline units into the same outlet are you ?

The solution generally is to buy the home plug units that have a passthrough outlet on them. You can then plug the powerline units directly into the socket and then plug a power strip or whatever into the outlet on the powerline unit.

The problem with using extension cords is the quality of the wire. It will work if you use heavy duty extension cords that are fairly short. If you called a electrician and ask him to add a outlet next to the current one all he would do is run a short wire between the 2 outlets. Not a real lot of difference between the 2 other than the wires are in the wall.

Those 2-6 socket wall plates converters work fine with powerline devices but the powerline still blocks outlets so you end up having to use the passthough ones anyway.

Sep 2, 2018
Thanks for that reply.

I have a double wall socket. Actually one homeplug for the TV in the extension cable plugged into one of the sockets and another homeplug for the firestick in the other socket seem to work fine. I just do not now have another socket for the bedside light. A wall plate converter should therefore solve my problem.

With a slightly longer Ethernet cable I should be able to switch between the TV and the firestick with just one homeplug as and when needed liberating the other homeplug to be used with a computer which is positioned as you will guess where there are not enough sockets.

Should a wall plate converter that you just plug in such as https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/GlYAAOSwFTRTrAID/s-l300.jpg
be alright?

You don't need to switch between them. What you do is buy a $10 switch and plug a ethernet cable to a home plug and then plug all your end devices into the switch. Some of the home plug units have more than 1 ethernet port but you can add a switch to all of them

It is best to have as few home plug units as possible because of how they share the bandwidth. You would want one by the router and only one in each remote room.