[SOLVED] Horrible input lag in Windows after swapping motherboard

Apr 7, 2021
Hi everyone,

New to forum, and here in desperation as I watch my business crumble while this computer sucks the remaining soul I have left.

Problem:
Sporadic input lag in Windows 10 despite computer being close to idle. Ranges from non-existent to frozen, with most of the time so choppy that I can't even click on buttons effectively. The only thing I noticed that is unusual is CPU temps a little high for load.
Background:
I recently decided to build a new PC workstation for my home office. It's been a nightmare for a multitude of reasons, but the latest one has me stumped. After the PSU died and took my mobo with it, I replaced it with my current Gigabyte mobo. Brand new install of Windows 10 Pro, drivers updated from AMD, BIOS updated from Gigabyte, GPU drivers updated from Nvidia, and random drivers all installed for various peripherals and such. Windows is behaving as if I am at 100% capacity, although it doesn't completely mirror that scenario. The mouse cursor does, but there is no lag in typing. There is lag in running programs and such at times also.

If anyone has a spare moment to take a look for me I'd be forever grateful!!! I'm at my rope's end here

Build:
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 1200W PSU
Gigabyte AORUS Extreme TRX40 rev 1.1
AMD Threadripper 3860x
8x32G G.Skill F4-3600C18Q2-256GTZR
Nvidia RTX 2080 TI
Corsair QLs, Commander Node Pro, Three Lighting Nodes
Soundblaster AE-7
Generic USB 3.0 Hub
3x PNY CS2130 2TB m.2 NVME
Samsung Pro 2 TB m.2 NVME
WD Blue 3d NAND 2TB Internal SSD
Windows 10 Pro

What I did so far:
Reinstalled Windows
Memory diagnostics test in windows
Updated all drivers, including chipset
Updated BIOS
Ruled out Soundblaster, USB Hub, and a few other low-hanging fruit

Here are some screens from CPU-Z and Core Temp for insight:
https://ibb.co/5RSNnjP
https://ibb.co/25csYGp
https://ibb.co/TPrM9M7
https://ibb.co/G04T25Z

Here is a quick copy and paste from system32:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Processor AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 24 Core(s), 48 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. FA, 8/4/2020
SMBIOS Version 3.2
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product TRX40 AORUS XTREME
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 256 GB
Total Physical Memory 256 GB
Available Physical Memory 233 GB
Total Virtual Memory 294 GB
Available Virtual Memory 264 GB
Page File Space 38.0 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Last edited:
Solution
Did you simply swapped system drive from dead motherboard with new one? If motherboards are from different manufacturers it will not work like that. Then you must reinstall Windows from scratch. Also for AMD CPU motherboard update BIOS to latest. I believe your motherboard is TRX40 AORUS XTREME rev. 1.1 (FA version BIOS seems not available for 1.0 boards). Then actual BIOS version is FBh (here).

By the way if your mouse and keyboard are connected into case front side USB sockets, plug them at motherboard back panel sockets. Had exactly the same problem with partially working keyboard and mouse when they was connected to front side USB sockets. It instantly solved after mouse and keyboard replugging into...
Did you simply swapped system drive from dead motherboard with new one? If motherboards are from different manufacturers it will not work like that. Then you must reinstall Windows from scratch. Also for AMD CPU motherboard update BIOS to latest. I believe your motherboard is TRX40 AORUS XTREME rev. 1.1 (FA version BIOS seems not available for 1.0 boards). Then actual BIOS version is FBh (here).

By the way if your mouse and keyboard are connected into case front side USB sockets, plug them at motherboard back panel sockets. Had exactly the same problem with partially working keyboard and mouse when they was connected to front side USB sockets. It instantly solved after mouse and keyboard replugging into motherboard rear USB sockets.

Solution
Apr 7, 2021

By the way if your mouse and keyboard are connected into case front side USB sockets, plug them at motherboard back panel sockets. Had exactly the same problem with partially working keyboard and mouse when they was connected to front side USB sockets. It instantly solved after mouse and keyboard replugging into motherboard rear USB sockets.

Thank you for the quick reply. I did a fresh install of windows, and while oddly enough my keyboard is connected to front panel, I moved it and it didn't fix the issue. My mouse is wireless and doesn't use a receiver dongle.

I may have stumbled onto something. Despite having done a BIOS update to the version you mentioned, Windows is stating: American Megatrends Inc. FA, 8/4/2020
I used Gigabyte's app that updates BIOS while in Windows, which I thought was funky but trusted it. I will flash from BIOS and see if that helps.

Apr 7, 2021
Feb 17, 2021
I just noticed two rather important things: CPU is somehow being overclocked by default, and CPU-Z is saying my RAM is 2600 despite it being 3600

Ram by default will run at a lower speed. Upon startup if you enter UEFI Bios you can change it to the higher speeds!

If you've already done this I have this vague memory of JayzTwoCents explaining that somewhere will read out the lower ram speed, but somewhere else will ready out the actual speed the ram is running at (iifc windows task manager will read out the lower speed and cpu-z will display the actual speeds)

Please correct me if I'm mistaken!

Apr 7, 2021
Whenever I turn on the profile for running the RAM at proper speeds, my BIOS seems to crash at boot and after a few cycles reverts back to the 2666 speed. UserBenchmark has a ton of people using this RAM with this board and getting great results.
My benchmarks are good too, comparatively, meaning that I'm not actually suffering performance anywhere, other than this mouse cursor freezing and really long shut down and boot times.

Apr 7, 2021
Fixed. Here's what I uncovered:

1. The freakin LED RGB lights cause a conflict with my specific model of RAM. Yeah.
  2. ERP setting in BIOS and Fast Startup setting in Windows causes a major conflict, causing a boot loop that leads to a reset to factory BIOS
  3. XMP doesn’t seem to work for RAM, I had to manually set voltage, speed, and timing.
  4. Something is still up with the USBs that I’m trying to figure out. This mobo has 3.2 USB ports, and there aren't any drivers loaded for them in Device Manager.

I’m nervous about keeping a board that’s so finicky, but I have the vast majority of issues squared away now. Thanks for your help everyone!

Reactions: Biggest_Cheeser
  1. The freakin LED RGB lights cause a conflict with my specific model of RAM. Yeah.
  2. ERP setting in BIOS and Fast Startup setting in Windows causes a major conflict, causing a boot loop that leads to a reset to factory BIOS
  3. XMP doesn’t seem to work for RAM, I had to manually set voltage, speed, and timing.
  4. Something is still up with the USBs that I’m trying to figure out. This mobo has 3.2 USB ports, and there aren't any drivers loaded for them in Device Manager.
I’m nervous about keeping a board that’s so finicky, but I have the vast majority of issues squared away now. Thanks for your help everyone!

Seems fully legit.

1. RGB disco light obsession in gaming niche indeed introduced a whole new group of glitches called "bling syndrome". And not only for RAM. This one is worth to see. Another cause why dump all RGB stuff into sea without turning back.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnST5rA64Oc

2. Fast Startup in BIOS cause also other glitches. Better turn it off by default. 1-2 seconds less on boot are not worth to have headaches.

3. Maybe try different RAM modules?

4. Yes, AMD screwed up USB support in Zen3 capable motherboards and Gigabyte fell hard on it. It is well known issue. They already patched it in AGESA side so wait for next firmware update.

Feb 17, 2021

Happy it is fixed!! Don't forget to pick a 'best answer' so the thread gets listed as solved, and good luck with the experimenting! ;p

TRENDING THREADS