Hot Hammerhead Case Mod Costs $2,900

Status
Not open for further replies.
To each thir own. Some may think the standard rectangle is triffe but in reality it has more options than this would. I still love the HL2 case made a while back:

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/images/blackmesa_mod.jpg

Its rusty, broken down and the liquid cooling system glows a radioactive green thanks to a UV light and UV sensative liquid.

That or a case that is black with a nice amount of blue LED fans lighting the room and internals up. I love seeing inside my PC. Lets me see my awesome work being awesome.

Randomacts

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010

Now, that is a case mod I would buy.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Guy's, there is allot value in great industrial design. $2900 is not overpriced for this as a complete system. If your happy a beige box then that is great buy that but great industrial design has it's purposes. Sometimes they solve problems, sometimes they just look good in your office, sometime they fit into small places, sometimes they are to get rid of tons of cables. Not everyone wants a uber overclocked gaming rig. There are many more people that just want a good system that does not make their offices look like a network operations center.

clist

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Wow, I'm really surprised at the negative reception here. I personally think it has a hell of a lot of sex appeal - but then again, I think 99% of the cases and the case mods out there are total ugly crap (along with 99% of the desktop themes out there for that matter). All that dark steam-punk stuff is so overdone, so college-age-guy-who-plays-CoD-all-day-and-can't-get-a-girl. Do a google image search on "cool case mods" and you'll see what I mean (or maybe you won't). A PC case that looks like an antique radio? No thank you.

The last cool case I saw posted was that one made out of concrete...
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Concrete-PC-Case-Mods-D-Heisse-Concretronic-Best-Case-Scenario,11676.html

...so I guess that says a lot about where I sit on the aesthetic spectrum ... and we all know there's no accounting for taste (you'd have to pay me to have that god-awful half-life case on my desk). Still, I was surprised at the near-unanimous thumbs-down this PC got here, so I just had to rant...

Anyway, I give this guy a lot of props for thinking outside the box in terms of the component layout, and thinking "architecturally" (as in the kind of architecture that I think of when I think of modern stuff - like PC hardware). Having the back-panel of the MB pointing down so you don't ever see it is great. Autocad Inventor and McMaster-Carr FTW on this one. In fact, I'd be tempted to get one if I could get it w/o all the electronics. OTOH, I'm pretty handy with Autocad / industrial design / materials sourcing myself, perhaps it's time for me to do my own "perfect" design.

Cheers,
CList

jmcgaw

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Terminally ugly. I don't doubt that there are some decent components inside but I wouldn't take it on a bet unless I was allowed to immediately chuck that case in the trash. Has everyone forgotten 'form follows function'?

shovenose

Distinguished
interesting! i like it. since im like the only one who likes it, why doesnt someone buy it for me, and then send it to me for free?

that said, its a KINGWIN not a KINGSTON power supply :) :)

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Tomorrow we'll be hearing news that Apple suddenly increased the price of their lowest end computers to $2901[/citation]
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]Look out Apple...there is a new overpriced component out there.[/citation]

Obsess much? You two idiots should be suspended from making comments.

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Style of case is something to be used in some real engineering mod. Components suck, he chose parts with lowest possible performance/price ratio, and in this... case :) it's just plain wasted effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.