Hot intel i7 7820x

markovicvuk3

Reputable
Sep 24, 2018
I have problem with my cpu im using intel i7 7820x with noctua nh dh 15,when is idle temp is 30-34c.And when i run prime 95 small fft,it goes up to 80c.Is that high or normal?

Solution
Depends on the version of Prime95. If you are using version 26.6 and getting those temps on that cooler running small fft, that's on the high side of normalish, but can be accounted for by the actual cpu voltages used as the same cpus will not use the exact same voltages. If you are using newer than 26.6, small fft also makes use of AVX instructions (among a few others) which will really beat up on a cpu temp, but are unrealistic for gaming, as games generally do not use AVX, mostly that's for specialized, professional type software. So if you are hitting 80°C with AVX, that's a really good temp on that cpu, you can expect low 50's at best for most games and only the odd one using some AVX will maybe hit 60ish.

As richiestang said...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the version of Prime95. If you are using version 26.6 and getting those temps on that cooler running small fft, that's on the high side of normalish, but can be accounted for by the actual cpu voltages used as the same cpus will not use the exact same voltages. If you are using newer than 26.6, small fft also makes use of AVX instructions (among a few others) which will really beat up on a cpu temp, but are unrealistic for gaming, as games generally do not use AVX, mostly that's for specialized, professional type software. So if you are hitting 80°C with AVX, that's a really good temp on that cpu, you can expect low 50's at best for most games and only the odd one using some AVX will maybe hit 60ish.

As richiestang said, real world, you'll not be hitting 100% cpu usage for any game, more like 50-70% at best, so that'll be your temps, not the extreme of a stress test.

Solution