Question Hot Spot temps on PALIT 3060 Ti Dual ?

Recks214

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2014
Good day,

One day I mistakenly sent my GPU for RMA when the issue was actually the PSU (VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE, No display, but that's resolved).

Anyway, I noticed that the behavior of my GPU is different when it came back to me:
  1. The fans seem to kick into 100% under heavy load, ignoring whatever fan curve I set up
  2. I experience microstutters on certain games, "hitches" so to speak
So I checked my temps with FurMark, and I noticed that while the GPU core was hitting 77c-78c, The hotspot temps were hitting 105c.

The card is working fine, but definitely throttling (FurMark reporting "temp:1" once the hotspot temps reach the triple digits)
So either something came loose during shipping, or the guys processing warranty opened it up and didn't close it back up tight (the paper reported no issues, so I doubt they had to open it up).

Should I consider repasting and repadding? Or is this normal operating temps for the hotspot? I'm asking because I never really kept an eye on the hotspot temps.

Solution
On Idle core is about 38.5c and hotspot is 51c which is pretty normal considering I'm in the Philippines, I have good reason to believe heat might be trapped somewhere when under load.

I've decided to repaste and repad when the package arrives, but I'm open to any suggestions
The hotspot temp is still pretty far off for idle so I wouldn't be surprised if it is paste/pads or mounting tension, but I think the latter would be pretty obvious on examination.

Recks214

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2014
Those temps seem high for a 3060 Ti period unless your case has bad airflow. Typically hotspot should be at most around 20 degrees over the GPU temps.
On Idle core is about 38.5c and hotspot is 51c which is pretty normal considering I'm in the Philippines, I have good reason to believe heat might be trapped somewhere when under load.

I've decided to repaste and repad when the package arrives, but I'm open to any suggestions

The hotspot temp is still pretty far off for idle so I wouldn't be surprised if it is paste/pads or mounting tension, but I think the latter would be pretty obvious on examination.

Reactions: Recks214
Solution

Recks214

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2014
Alright then, since disassembly is required I might as well go the extra mile and replace the paste and pads.

Now to wait for the paste and pads to arrive. Thanks for the insight.