How about a PG-rated GTA:SA?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ian

Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote in message

> It might be a boy thing. Little boys don't always want to play Spongebob
> Squarepants or Play And Learn, they want to play Star Wars, sword fights,
> gun fights, that sort of thing. I'm sure most of the blokes here will
> remember what they liked to play when they were little, and I bet most of
us
> wouldn't say that our favourite games were educational ones. Even when we
> played with our Lego town, me and my brother usually ended up staging some
> sort of war or something.
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris

I know exactly what you are talking about. When I was a kid my Lego town was
GTA: My Bedroom. The graphics were spectacular for the 80's, it had more
open ended freedoms like a open ended storyline. Except of course when I
argued with my friends how the battle would take place.

--
Best Regards,

> Now the only thing that bothers me is how your little'un knows about bar
> staff! I hope you haven't got a tiny drunk on your hands there ;-)

Erm - no, not really. He used to guzzle my red wine from crawling age to
about 3, but he's completely on the wagon now, as I've got worse.

I don't think he trusts alcoholic drinks any more after pinching a swig of
my whiskey when I wasn't looking. There are key moments in your child's life
where you wish you had a video camera rolling - that was one of them.

In message <42b14fe3$1@nntp.onyx.net>
"Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote:

> Where I used to live the local kids had a craze for a couple of months
> involving airguns. They seem to be able to get hold of these small airguns
> easily, and used them to shoot at cats, plant pots, windows, that sort of
> thing.

Near where I live (see.sig) the kids still do that.

A tram system was implemented to replace the Wimbledon to Croydon
railway track and unfortunately it runs passed one of the biggest
cess-pools ever called a housing estate.

On the first day of the trams operating, all the kids were out in force
aiming for the trams with airguns.

Says a lot about today's society really doesn't it?

Cheers,
Rob

Rob White wrote:

> In message <42b14fe3$1@nntp.onyx.net>
> "Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote:
>
> > Where I used to live the local kids had a craze for a couple of months
> > involving airguns. They seem to be able to get hold of these small airguns
> > easily, and used them to shoot at cats, plant pots, windows, that sort of
> > thing.
>
> Near where I live (see.sig) the kids still do that.
>
> A tram system was implemented to replace the Wimbledon to Croydon
> railway track and unfortunately it runs passed one of the biggest
> cess-pools ever called a housing estate.
>
> On the first day of the trams operating, all the kids were out in force
> aiming for the trams with airguns.
>
> Says a lot about today's society really doesn't it?
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

says even more that they hardly ever seem to have anyone dealing with
it either. This estate is riddled with CCTV, but cops are scarce
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

In message <42B1D699.9CEE0630@blueyonder.co.uk>
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> says even more that they hardly ever seem to have anyone dealing with
> it either. This estate is riddled with CCTV, but cops are scarce

An estate near to me has those 'Community Officers' who don't even have
the power to arrest. What good is that for apprehending people that
break the law?

Cheers,
Rob

Rob White wrote:

> In message <42B1D699.9CEE0630@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > says even more that they hardly ever seem to have anyone dealing with
> > it either. This estate is riddled with CCTV, but cops are scarce
>
> An estate near to me has those 'Community Officers' who don't even have
> the power to arrest. What good is that for apprehending people that
> break the law?
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

I did wonder about that. I suppose ANYthing is better than nothing,
but honestly, they really just stand there and take the piss out of
the cops. They don't care a hoot
--

"Rob White" <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

>(see.sig)

And all those people who you romantically like to still believe are alive
are dead
And I'll wipe my snot on the arm of your chair as you put another Roger Dean
poster on the wall.

;-)

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Rob White wrote:
>>
>> In message <42B1D699.9CEE0630@blueyonder.co.uk>
>> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > says even more that they hardly ever seem to have anyone dealing with
>> > it either. This estate is riddled with CCTV, but cops are scarce
>>
>> An estate near to me has those 'Community Officers' who don't even have
>> the power to arrest. What good is that for apprehending people that
>> break the law?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rob
>> --
>> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
>> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
>> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.
>
> I did wonder about that. I suppose ANYthing is better than nothing,
> but honestly, they really just stand there and take the piss out of
> the cops. They don't care a hoot
> --
> Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")

Apparently those community officers don't have powers of arrest, but if they
call for backup from the "real" officers it's there very, very quickly.

Chris Wright wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Rob White wrote:

> >> An estate near to me has those 'Community Officers' who don't even have
> >> the power to arrest. What good is that for apprehending people that
> >> break the law?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Rob
> >> --
> >> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> >
> > I did wonder about that. I suppose ANYthing is better than nothing,
> > but honestly, they really just stand there and take the piss out of
> > the cops. They don't care a hoot
> > --
> > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
>
> Apparently those community officers don't have powers of arrest, but if they
> call for backup from the "real" officers it's there very, very quickly.

Again, at least it's something. I think they're actually scared of
this estate
--

Chris Wright wrote:

> I'm sure that all Americans don't spend all day dodging bullets, but the
> idea that people get guns to protect themselves is self-proliferating.
> Criminals have guns, so everyone needs a gun to defend themselves. So the
> criminals get bigger guns, and so on. I've never been to the USA so I might
> be speaking out of turn, but it seems to me that guns are a cultural thing
> over there that would be extremely difficult to get rid of.

There's really no arms race, a gun is a gun. Give me a 9mm or a .44
Magnum, you don't want to get hit with either. It's the shooter and
circumstances that make the difference.

If someone breaks into my house, my Glock 9mm with hollowpoints is
close at hand. At gunpoint they will be told to handcuff themselves to
a tree in my front yard until the police arrive. If my or my family's
life is in danger, I will not hesitate to shoot the sonofabitch. The
law will most likely be on my side if it comes to that.

Contrast that with the UK, where handguns have been banned and the
crimanals practically have more rights than the homeowners. You don't
take a knife to a gunfight. I realize crime in the UK was bad, but
taking away the citizens best defense against criminals is not exactly
the best solution. I know if I was a burglar I would feel a LOT better
knowing there wasn't a gun in the house I was breaking into.

> I think you mentioned Chris Rock before in the nastier thread. There's a
> good clip of him in "Bowling for Columbine" where he says something like,
> "Let people have guns, but make bullets cost a thousand dollars each." There
> might be some serious merit in that. If people really only used their guns
> in defence of their lives, expensive bullets would be fair enough. After
> all, I would happily use a $1000 bullet to protect my family from an armed
> robber, but if I was a maniac on the loose in a school I wouldn't be able to
> afford to take out many people, would I?

That's an interesting idea, but then bullets would become black
market items and anyone wanting to go on a school shooting spree would
just have to find some black market bullets, or steal them. And people
already have a lot of time and money invested in bullet reloading
equipment.

> An estate near to me has those 'Community Officers' who don't even have
> the power to arrest. What good is that for apprehending people that
> break the law?

As far as I can tell, they are still civilians, so they have the same rights
with regards to citizen's arrest that you do. In other words, if they
witness a crime, they can arrest the perpetrator. Note that "reasonable
doubt" does not come into it - you can't (for example) arrest a kid with an
airgun for vandalism unless you witness the shot and its effect. Hearing the
glass smash and seeing the kid run away with his gun is not grounds for
citizen's arrest.

Cyrus

In article <1119031271.656277.52480@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > I think you mentioned Chris Rock before in the nastier thread. There's a
> > good clip of him in "Bowling for Columbine" where he says something like,
> > "Let people have guns, but make bullets cost a thousand dollars each." There
> > might be some serious merit in that. If people really only used their guns
> > in defence of their lives, expensive bullets would be fair enough. After
> > all, I would happily use a $1000 bullet to protect my family from an armed
> > robber, but if I was a maniac on the loose in a school I wouldn't be able to
> > afford to take out many people, would I?
>
> That's an interesting idea, but then bullets would become black
> market items and anyone wanting to go on a school shooting spree would
> just have to find some black market bullets, or steal them. And people
> already have a lot of time and money invested in bullet reloading
> equipment.

Not to mention how feasible the idea of ultra expensive ammo is. Making
reloading illegal, changing firearms themselves to accept a type of new
ammo system with a trade secret of some sort.

Sure its a funny line from chris rock, but its just not going to happen
anytime soon.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Rob White wrote:

> Bring back corporal punushment is what I say.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob

bring back something, anything, that instils respect into the little
darlings
--

In message <4gDse.18772$K5.10063@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>
"G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote:

> As far as I can tell, they are still civilians, so they have the same rights
> with regards to citizen's arrest that you do. In other words, if they
> witness a crime, they can arrest the perpetrator. Note that "reasonable
> doubt" does not come into it - you can't (for example) arrest a kid with an
> airgun for vandalism unless you witness the shot and its effect. Hearing the
> glass smash and seeing the kid run away with his gun is not grounds for
> citizen's arrest.

A bit nuts really innit?

There was a story in the local paper of a young lad's parents suing a
community officer for attempted assault during a citizen's arrest.

I'm only 22, but if I disrespected the law like some of these
youngsters do I would probably had my head dented by my parents.

Bring back corporal punushment is what I say.

Cheers,
Rob

Razor

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

> Rob White wrote:
>
>> Bring back corporal punushment is what I say.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rob
>
> bring back something, anything, that instils respect into the little
> darlings
> --
> Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
> Stop and Look
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Recently the owner of a local shop went to put a caffler out the door when
he was causing hassle with some customers.
He told her if she touched him he'd get the 'socials' on her. Guess where he
got that phrase from.
She should have stamped on his head. He could have given the 'socials' a
call when he came out of his coma. Little prick.

Razor wrote:

> !?!?!?!?!? Where are you living? Sounds like Escape From New York.

:O)) I live on the meadowell Estate, in North Shields, at the mouth
of the Tyne. Just to show you what bollocks people spout about these
things i just did a google and found

"The Meadowell estate is on the eastern edge of the city of Newcastle"

No it's not. It's got ah heck all to do with newcastle except it is the
nearest city.

it also seems I made a little mistake, it was the kid's grandad who
thought he wasn't just a joyrider.

Honestly though, this place has always been rough, but where it was
rough and friendly when i was small now it's just rough

--

In message <42B55560.FE96462B@blueyonder.co.uk>
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> They make you feel like a prisoner in your own home.

And people think that playing GTA makes you a violent criminal.

It really makes me wonder if you have to have a lobotomy on the NHS
before you can become a member of parliament and let the country(ies)
rot the way they have done the last few years.

Everybody somewhere is missing the bigger picture.

Cheers,
Rob

Funny, I was listening to "Fisticuffs on Frederick Street" by The Toy
Dolls this morning.

Or is that South Shields?

Phil Hibbs.

I was looking at some U.S. crime statistics on the DoJ web site a few
years ago, and the levels of teenage gun violence took a sharp turn
downwards in 1993, co-inciding with the release of the computer game
"Doom".

Phil Hibbs.

Rob White wrote:

> In message <42B55560.FE96462B@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > They make you feel like a prisoner in your own home.
>
> And people think that playing GTA makes you a violent criminal.
>
> It really makes me wonder if you have to have a lobotomy on the NHS
> before you can become a member of parliament and let the country(ies)
> rot the way they have done the last few years.
>
> Everybody somewhere is missing the bigger picture.

well, i play the game and all its previous versions and I'm probably
tamer now than I was when I was their age and didn't play these games.
It's just a sodding lot easier to blame a video game than your own
lousy political inaction I guess. Of course if there's money in it
they'll soon fix it
--

snarks@gmail.com wrote:

> Funny, I was listening to "Fisticuffs on Frederick Street" by The Toy
> Dolls this morning.
>
> Or is that South Shields?
>
> Phil Hibbs.

probably south.... maybe this answers the question?

http://www.southshields-sanddancers.co.uk/old_photos/frederick_street_tyne_wear.htm
--

snarks@gmail.com wrote:

> I was looking at some U.S. crime statistics on the DoJ web site a few
> years ago, and the levels of teenage gun violence took a sharp turn
> downwards in 1993, co-inciding with the release of the computer game
> "Doom".
>
> Phil Hibbs.

they just didn't make big enough guns :O))

--

<snarks@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I was looking at some U.S. crime statistics on the DoJ web site a few
> years ago, and the levels of teenage gun violence took a sharp turn
> downwards in 1993, co-inciding with the release of the computer game
> "Doom".
>
> Phil Hibbs.

Tell that to the poor flesh-eating zombies. They don't have a voice.

Razor wrote:

> <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I was looking at some U.S. crime statistics on the DoJ web site a few
> > years ago, and the levels of teenage gun violence took a sharp turn
> > downwards in 1993, co-inciding with the release of the computer game
> > "Doom".
> >
> > Phil Hibbs.
> >

> Tell that to the poor flesh-eating zombies. They don't have a voice.

I thought they went

nnnnnnnnnnn... braaaaaiiinnnn

--

"Cyrus" <invalid@i.like.spam> wrote in message
> In article <1119031271.656277.52480@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> "Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> > I think you mentioned Chris Rock before in the nastier thread. There's
>> > good clip of him in "Bowling for Columbine" where he says something
>> > like,
>> > "Let people have guns, but make bullets cost a thousand dollars each."
>> > There
>> > might be some serious merit in that. If people really only used their
>> > guns
>> > in defence of their lives, expensive bullets would be fair enough.
>> > After
>> > all, I would happily use a $1000 bullet to protect my family from an
>> > armed
>> > robber, but if I was a maniac on the loose in a school I wouldn't be
>> > able to
>> > afford to take out many people, would I?
>>
>> That's an interesting idea, but then bullets would become black
>> market items and anyone wanting to go on a school shooting spree would
>> just have to find some black market bullets, or steal them. And people
>> already have a lot of time and money invested in bullet reloading
>> equipment.
>>

> Not to mention how feasible the idea of ultra expensive ammo is. Making
> reloading illegal, changing firearms themselves to accept a type of new
> ammo system with a trade secret of some sort.
>
> Sure its a funny line from chris rock, but its just not going to happen
> anytime soon.
>
> --
Well no it probably isn't going to happen, but throwing an idea out because
it might be difficult doesn't make more sense than just leaving things as
they are. A hell of a lot more people get killed with guns under the current
US laws than they do under the current UK ones.