[SOLVED] How can I be safe with static electricity while building my pc

Dec 22, 2019
All of the parts to my pc have arrived so now I am just worried about how to handle them. I'm worried about static electricity so I don't know which surface to build on. My bedroom has a fake wood table with a wooden floor, and my kitchen has a granite table with a wooden floor. How should I hold the parts while I'm dealing with them, and where should I build it?

Solution
You'll be fine. I'm a tech. I know people may get on my case, but I never use anti static strap or mat etc. Biggest thing is use common sense. Don't wear wooly socks when building. Touch a metal part of the case before touching components.

When installing ram, graphics card, etc, handle the cards by edges. DO NOT touch the gold contacts if you can help it. Also when handling the processor, don't touch the pins on the chip or on the motherboards socket.

In short, don't sweat it. Just use sense, and be careful when handling stuff, you should do just fine.
You'll be fine. I'm a tech. I know people may get on my case, but I never use anti static strap or mat etc. Biggest thing is use common sense. Don't wear wooly socks when building. Touch a metal part of the case before touching components.

When installing ram, graphics card, etc, handle the cards by edges. DO NOT touch the gold contacts if you can help it. Also when handling the processor, don't touch the pins on the chip or on the motherboards socket.

In short, don't sweat it. Just use sense, and be careful when handling stuff, you should do just fine.

Reactions: mladja064
Solution

mladja064

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2016

But my PSU case is all painted black and there is no bare metal parts on it, screews are also painted...
ESD is not a joke!
So read these
https://www.minicircuits.com/app/AN40-005.pdf

Oh I don't disagree with you. You have to use common sense. I'm just saying as a tech who's been doing stuff professionally for 11 years and messing with stuff for about 20ish, I've not had major issues.

Just like with anything, you have to use common sense and be careful as you handle equipment. But that said, an anti static strap can be found for a few bucks online. By all means pick one up. They are cheap and you certainly won't harm anything.

You can use a ESD wrist strap connected to a metal table or something.

Or you can plug your PSU into a grounded outlet and touch the outside of the PSU.

Or you can just ignore the existence of ESD. This is my preffered choice that has never caused me any issues.

mladja064

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2016
Everywhere i can read that is all gona be fine just touch PSU/ PCcasse, water pipe, heat pipe (every thing that goes into the Earth/Ground). Or to be sure found a ground wire/screw on your wall electric plug (EXTREME caution if you dont know wich one is GROUND on the plug ).

And only mistery to solve is about does painted PSU case or painted pipe conducts electricity...

Last edited: