[SOLVED] how can i connect my pc to wifi? (sounds stupid but hear me out)

Aug 1, 2019
I've finally got my PC build up and running, Windows 10 installed, everything is finally going smoothly. that's when I realize my mother board probably isn't wifi compatible. I connected to my wifi via Ethernet but it can't switch it to wireless. I really need to connect to the internet wirelessly because my router is two floors down from where I have my setup. do I have to get a wifi adapter for my PC? please help...

here's my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Kk9FFt

Solution
If your cellphone can be connected to the wifi and hotspot at the same time that's an option while you wait to get a wifi adapter. You turn the data off and do it that way. If you have a laptop that has ethernet on it then it's possible to share the wifi over the ethernet cable coming out of the laptop into your pc. Neither of those methods are particularly great. But it will atleast work.

crazily

Prominent
May 27, 2018
If your cellphone can be connected to the wifi and hotspot at the same time that's an option while you wait to get a wifi adapter. You turn the data off and do it that way. If you have a laptop that has ethernet on it then it's possible to share the wifi over the ethernet cable coming out of the laptop into your pc. Neither of those methods are particularly great. But it will atleast work.

Solution

slingsrat

Honorable
May 31, 2016
Yes, you need a Wifi adapter in your PC. There are many types, ones that just plug into a USB port or others installed into a PCI slot. They are fairly cheap and easy to install either way.

Jul 24, 2019
Yes, you need a Wifi adapter in your PC. There are many types, ones that just plug into a USB port or others installed into a PCI slot. They are fairly cheap and easy to install either way.

Yeah, you need a wifi adapter, otherwise won't be able to connect to wifi network.
USB adapters are cheap and plentiful, but usually don't have the best antennas.
Preferably get a PCIe wifi adapter with proper antennas, and install it inside of your computer. For example ASUS has a solid selection, starting at around 20 bucks.