Question How can I convert from HDMI to component video signal on my legacy TV?

Aug 27, 2024
I have an older SONY CRT TV, their FD Trinitron/WEGA line, model KV-32XBR250. I’m using a TV streaming box (supplied by my Canadian cable TV provider, Rogers Communications) that outputs HDMI, 16:9 aspect ratio, in 720p and higher 1080 video modes. My TV supports only 480i interlaced, in 4:3 and a 16:9 enhancement (which was a new feature in 1999 video technology). My provider supplied me with a converter to go from the streaming box HDMI digital interface to my TV in analog composite video format—as a single channel, typically a yellow connector—which gives me a 4:3 aspect ratio picture. But since my provider's output is 16:9, the picture on my TV scales images that appear vertically squashed.

My TV also supports higher quality analog S-Video (two channel) and component video signals (three-channel red, green, blue connectors in YPbPr colour space) allowing 16:9, which I am trying to enable. (The 16:9 resolution displays fine when I'm sourcing from my DVD player, which natively outputs component video).

There are such converters that go from HDMI to S-Video or component video that I can buy on eBay and Amazon for as low as $20, but it’s not clear to me if they support 480i output (which I realise might lose some scan lines in the conversion). When I ask these sellers, some say they do go to that resolution, and others say they only support 480p (non-interlaced), which would not display on my TV. (Makes me suspicious how much these vendors, often from China, know the product they are selling.) My cable TV provider even took the time to test out one of their converters, but the technician could not get the HDMI signal to display on my TV in 16:9; I suspect that it could not output to 480i, just to 480p.

Short of upgrading my TV, I thought I’d contact someone on this site before taking a chance buying something online that I can’t test out beforehand, and ending up having to return it if it fails to work.

Any constructive help would be appreciated.

Thanks, and regards. Roar!

If you can give me a couple of days I can find my box that does everything you are asking. The issue is all or most of my audio and video stuff is packed in a bedroom from floor to ceiling from a move.

The device I have was about 2 grand but were talking over 20 years ago. For the life of me I can't remember the name of it.

I see them on ebay now and than for almost nothing these days as tech has moved on.
It has on screen menu and a touch pad that you make all your choices for routing and final screen resolution.

It does HDMI- DVI-Composite-component- s video
480i 480p 1080i 1080p bi directional.

Like I said I need to find it than I will find a link and post it. :)

Reactions: Dandi Lyon
Aug 27, 2024
I'll wait for your reply with bated breath. Tho, in no big rush, I've waited this long. But I think I saw on eBay what you were talking about, and even then, those solutions were on the high end of my budget. I was hoping to pay no more than $100. Thank you, Mr. Stone Carver.